You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Subtle Pounding

Real Ghost Stories

The Subtle Pounding

 

I previously published a story called Eerie Things Started Happening to Me. Another thing that has been happening a lot since a few years ago is a subtle pounding. This happens about one night a month. In the silence of the night and only when I'm in the basement, I'll hear a subtle pounding that will go on anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours. I tried to ignore it, but it doesn't go away - it's not "in my head." Something is not "normal" about it, and pounding isn't a normal nightly noise. It sounds as if someone is very softly pounding the floor upstairs with his/her heal. It pounds about once every second.

A few times, in the pounding, I noticed what reminded me of the "human flaw," that is, it wasn't exactly equally spaced every second, but slightly staggered at some points - imperfect. The pounding also seems to slightly vary in forcefulness too, as subtle as it is. One night, in the midst of the subtle pounding, this one particular pound was harder than the rest causing the floor to "settle" (make a 'crack' noise). It also made the dishes in the sink rattle. Every time I go upstairs to find it, it stops, and then starts again only after I've been sitting downstairs for several minutes. I walked around my basement listening very closely and realized that it is in fact real, and it very much seems to be coming from my kitchen floor.

One night, after listening to this subtle pounding, I was in the kitchen almost ready for bed. I heard a loud thud on the kitchen floor as if someone in the basement hit the ceiling with a rock. It hit directly under where I was standing as I could feel the vibrations in my feet and legs. It was way louder than the normal "house settling."

Does anybody else have anything like this happen?

Other hauntings by mike8887

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mike8887, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-29)
Mike, somebody (or I should say something) is having a laugh at your expense. Sounds like you have a bit of a joker, all be it an annoying one, on your hands. You don't say you feel threatened in any way so maybe just either get used to your guest or ask him to take a hike. Maybe he's just a lonely soul. 😉
mike8887 (3 stories) (23 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-28)
Other odd things have happened to me in the past couple of years as well. This pounding would have been attributed to something ordinary otherwise. There really is no other explanation for it. I lived in this house for years and know exactly what every part of it sounds like. The pounding is definitely emitting vibrations into the floor of the house.

Bellissima, other things did happen in the house... See my previous story. Also, here are a few more smaller events:
1) piano key struck at night
2) music box begins on its own
3) small flashes of light
4) radio in the closet turned on one night
5) objects fall off shelves
Lexiluca (8 stories) (78 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-27)
I wonder if it's vibrations from somewhere else... And you're just unable to hear it upstairs as the vibrations are traveling through the ground. Either way, it's spooky - and if it is a ghost, I wonder why the pounding?
lian01 (3 stories) (65 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-27)
Hi Mike. I've read this story and the other one mentioned above, and I have to agree with Bellissima, I'd be really freaked out by now!
I understand your comments in the other story about trying to be rational, and find 'real' causes for the noise. I'd try to find every possible cause before crying ghost. Have you tried to replicate any of these noises, by walking around and getting a friend to stand in another room and see if they hear it? Or get a friend to move things around the kitchen and see what is sounds like down in the basment. I don't doubt you, I'm just trying to help you find a solution that would rule out anything 'material' making the noises.
If all else fails do you think you could set up a tape recorder to catch these bangs? Or even better a video camera?
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-27)
Hi Mike, that's so weird! Pretty freaky if you ask me. I was wondering if any other things are happening around your house? It's a long time for this to go on, I think it would drive me crazy. It seems attracted to you. Have you ever just asked for it to stop? Maybe that would work.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: