You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghost At My School Camp

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost At My School Camp

 

This is one of those things I've never been able to forget. In 2004, when I was 12 years old I went on my Grade 6 school camp. We did these every year, but it was the first I'd ever been to as I have always been afraid of being away from home

We went to a place called Camp Nelu, and it was supposedly an old farm. One of the first things they told us once we got settled was the ghost story of that farm. As the story goes, there used to be a couple who owned and worked the farm. They had a daily routine in which the wife would make breakfast, after which the husband would get on his tractor and work the fields. Everyday she'd bring him lunch in the field and they'd eat together. Apparently one day she took him lunch like any other day, but he wasn't where they would normally meet. She called went to look for him, but only found the tractor with the engine still running. She went into the field and found that he had been cut up into several pieces, with is head in the centre (no grass grows there now). She became severely depressed, refusing to eat or drink and died in bed a short time later.

Needless to say, many of us were spooked, but we shrugged it off. We figured it was just a scary story.

We were all seperated into our cabins, and the one I stayed in has 6 bunkbeds. There was one bed spare, which was my bottom bunk, and all of us loaded our bags onto it to get some floor space.

On the first night, I got scared like I normally did at night, and I persuaded my friend to come with me to the teachers chalet. Two weird things happened that night. The first was a cat and was sitting on the ground in the distance that we spotted when we first came outside. It didn't look normal though, sort of unnatural whitish colour, but we ignored it. We went to the teachers, they calmed me down and we headed back to the cabin.

Then the second weird thing happened. As you walk in the door, my bunk was in the middle of the wall to the left with a window between it and the one in the corner by the door. We came in, and I was about to climb in bed when I noticed something strange. It looked like there was a woman lying on my bottom bunk, asleep. I asked my friend if she saw it, and she said she did. But we convinced ourselves it was just the light coming through the window and nothing was there, got in bed and went to sleep.

The following morning I decided to have a look at the shapes that the stuff on the bottom bunk made to see if it could explain why there would've been the shape of a woman. But it was mostly your typical luggage bags, large and square. There's no way they could've made such a soft curvy shape. I pointed it out to my friend and she agreed. We figured it must have been the woman who had died. We were glad to find out we wouldn't have to sleep in there again!

Just thought I'd share my experience:) I don't expect you to believe it, but after all this time I still have no doubt in my mind that it was that poor wife.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, curious_girl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Temilicious (7 stories) (99 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-21)
I am South African and trust me the kids here grow up like all other kids. Obviously the ones from poorer or rougher backgrounds are taught to fend for themselves at a young age but other than that they pretty much do everything kids in America or the rest of the world do...

When we were in Primary school we also went on a school camp (in Loerie EC Curious_Girl, if you know it) and our first afternoon there we were told a ghost story about the place- sound effects and all. No one was freaked out, we spent two days there and had loads of fun. It think it's all done innocently and for the sake of fun.

The place wasn't haunted by the way.

I agree with the others, I don't think the cat was paranormal, just out of place. Think your nerves were already on edge. About the lady, can't tell for sure if she was the wife. Are the bungalows situated where their bedroom could've been? Just trying to figure out why that specific spot.

Thanks
earthtogillian (17 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-28)
I do think the wife could've been the wife of the man. Was she scary? Did she, in any way, caused you harm or even just anxiety or did you feel pitiful for what happened to her and her husband?

I feel as if the cat was nothing out of the paranormal. There was no cat mentioned in the ghost story, was there? Also, it probably just seemed mysterious because it was probably a stray cat meaning it wasn't groomed or fed or anything which explains its appearance, I think. It's just an honest opinion. I respect you if you think it was from the other side.

However, I am still puzzled as to why they would tell such story BEFORE the camping. Could they just tell it on the last day or on the way home so as not to scare the campers? I still respect them and I intend no offence upon uttering what I have just said.

Great job on the narration of the story! I hope all is well for you! Hopefully, your next camping trip wouldn't be as "memorable" as this one. 😉
Lovems (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-22)
What was it exactly that cut the man up? Did he fall into the tractor or was he murderd?
Siskakes (4 stories) (68 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
princessLotus - the only explanation I can provide is that in South Africa the children are brought up tough. The older generations believe that if they lived through it then so will the young children these days. He same thing was done to us as children on school tours. Your absolutley right though if I were in charge of sveral young children at a strange place I wouldn't tell them ghost sories either.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-03)
I feel that the woman you and your friend saw in the bunker bed was probably the wife, who died there. As far as the cat is concerned, I share the thoughts of MickeyN. Nice narration and I feel that it is a paranormal experience. Thanks for sharing. Are you still scared of the nights?

Regards,

SDS
MickeyN (2 stories) (21 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-02)
It makes sense that the silhouette of the woman would probably be the farmer's wife, but what would the cat spirit have to do with anything? Not saying I don't believe you, it's just kind of strange. Maybe it was a stray cat the family liked or something... Anyways, interesting experience. The part about the wife finding the farmer cut up is pretty morbid.

-MickeyN
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-02)
Sorry my phone is screwy. But as I was saying> the counselors or staff didn't tell horror stories to us. They really didn't have to, the place was just spooky as heck! So I totally believe what you saw & how it made you feel. I only wonder if it would have been different for you if those suggestions werent put in your head to begin with? Well thanks for sharing! God bless.

LSD
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-02)
I have a few questions... First is that I'm wondering why counselors would tell children tragic stories of death to children about the place they are spending nights at? Like, I don't know about anyone else but if I'm somewhere with a bunch of kids spending days & nights I don't want them all freaked out about every little thing they hear or see... That is unless of course my whole goal is to scare the crap out of them. But then again why would I do that to myself? Knowing I will most likely be kept up all night with frightened children? Lol. I'm just saying. So shame on them for influencing you in the first place. I know when I was 12

My class went to outdoor lab> outdoor lab was something you did in 6th grade in Colorado. The whole class would spend a week at a lodge in the mountains, specifically made for outdoor lab. The

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: