You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Dreamsharing? Or Apparitions?

Real Ghost Stories

Dreamsharing? Or Apparitions?

 

In late January of this year, I woke up in the middle of the night and had to go to the toilet. To get there, I had to go down a flight of stairs. As I reached the top of the stairs I looked down and saw two young girls in naval uniform playing with each other - they looked as if they were playing not inside a house, but in some recreational park or somewhere where there is plenty of space. They seemed oblivious to their domestic surroundings!

I couldn't hear them but I could see their grey / silvery outlines clearly. The colour of their uniforms was almost completely bleached out until it was close to sepia, what little colour there was looked very faint to me, but I could distinguish the darker shades of navy blue and deep red stripes on their clothes.

Although their outlines were easy to define, I could see straight through them.

One of the girls glanced up and noticed me looking down at them from the top of the stairs - at that very moment she broke away from her friend and ran off - disappearing through a side door (into the living room) and vanishing. Her friend followed straight after.

I stood there at the top of the stairs wondering whether I should go down there to the toilet or else pee in my tracksuit pants. I decided that peeing in my pants wasn't much of an option, so at the risk of confronting these two ghostly girls once more, I finally decided to take myself to the toilet downstairs.

I went down the stairs and turned on every light within reach as I walked through 2 more rooms before finally making it to the toilet. While I felt like I was taking the longest pee in my whole life, I continually looked over my shoulder and out of the corner of my eye for ghostly-looking girls playing about in the house.

There was no more sign of them...phew!

I finally went back up the stairs and got back into bed. My partner had woken up by now and before I could tell her about my experience, she told me that she'd just been dreaming about herself as a little girl, involved in some performance. She said she was dressed up in some national costume.

I asked her if it was a navy uniform and whether she had a friend in those days. She said no to both questions. I then told her, with as much detail as I could recall, what I'd just seen at the top of the stairs.

This was an experience that I'd never had before and I immediately began to wonder what it was that I'd experienced: had my partner shared her dream with me while we were asleep and that I was visualizing something residual at the top of the stairs after I woke up to go to the toilet? Or was the apparition of these girls something completely separate?

The description of the way the girls were dressed in the apparition seemed very similar to what my partner described herself as wearing in her dream.

Other hauntings by Unexplained

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Unexplained, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-04)
Hi Cliney1212, thanks for sharing your experience that you had with your partner and I'm glad he's been back to Amsterdam and had more favourable experiences. Amsterdam is a place that I enjoy visiting with my partner from time-to-time as well. 😊

Your theory sounds quite interesting. I am amazed at how often my partner says something and I was thinking that exact thing at the same time she said it. I'm not sure if that is because we are both settling into thought patterns that we routinely go through and we are both in tune with them, or whether there is something more to it.

Like with your experience, mine was slightly unsettling in that I didn't recall having any dream of girls playing in national costume before I awoke to answer a call of nature. I do feel that my partner is sensitive and psychic but, like me, she has no control over it (there's been several experiences to support my belief of this, but I won't expand on it here). I never feel ready for it when it happens, like with my sighting of these girls. They tend to be a surprise where I have no way to prepare for them.

If what I saw really was something supernatural, then these situations tend to occur when you least expect them to.

Thanks also for your kind feedback, sonri! 😊
Cliney1212 (4 stories) (121 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-04)
I'm wondering if your wife is 'sensitive' and could it be that you both saw the spirits but you in the physical world and your wife in her dream...? About 15 years ago my partner took a trip to Amsterdam and had a bit of a hard time. When he returned he didn't divulge any of this to me we were just caught up in the moment of his return. I stayed at his place that night and had a 'bad dream' I then described the place he stayed the people he stayed with and the feelings he had when he was there! He then went on to tell me about his experience. I'm glad to say he's been to Holland many times since and has had better experiences. 😊
sonri (2 stories) (91 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-03)
I liked your writing style. It made me laugh, "longest pee in my whole life", kind of worked to put the reader in your shoes or "tracksuit pants". 😆 No, I guess that didn't sound right. Oh well, good job.
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-03)
Hi Rook, just read that story. Wow! That seems like something straight out of an episode of 'Twilight Zone' or something. I've never experienced anything on that scale before, so that must've been quite freaky to go through. I wonder what might have happened to the newly wedded couple if they'd simply wiped away the cobwebs and gone to sleep in that hotel room. Perhaps they may have disappeared completely.

I've walked down the streets of Paris myself, very late at night, and felt the past come to life. Loads of old buildings with entrances for horses and coaches, etc. My favourite city. 😊
ashville (3 stories) (42 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-03)
Thanks Rook, yes that does, and is very interesting... As for the thin spot, it sounds like stumbeling apon a crack in time, where somebodies life is carrying on, or froze in a sequence after they have died and they are unaware of it... Like you say, they think they have seen a ghost. Kind of like those lame movies where people go on with their life without knowing that they are dead, and then realise that they are dead... Hope that isn't tooo broad...lol. Again, thanks:)
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-03)
ashville,

I think 'ghosts' are more common.

A 'thin spot' is kind of like looking through a window or door... Not only do you see a 'ghost (s) ' you see the environment around them. The inside of the room your looking into, but it has different furniture and curtains in it. Then when the 'ghost (s) ' notice you they react as if they have seen a ghost. A 'spot' like this may even allow you to hear some sounds. In addition the 'ghosts' we see this way almost always appear solid.

Seeing a ghost on the other hand is when an apparition is seen, but it's 'in context' with our modern surroundings. When witnessed in this matter the 'ghost' is almost always transparent.

I hope that makes some kind of sense.

Respectfully,

Rook
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-03)
Unexplained,

You may want to read this experience... I think you'll find it interesting.

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=14944

Respectfully,

Rook
ashville (3 stories) (42 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-03)
That is super interesting unexplained, and makes my brain whirl with questions and wonder, awesome... And learning about that thin spot sounds so cool... Never heard of it so thanks rook. So, I wonder. The people who have seen apperations, how fine is the line between seeing a ghost from the past (obviously) and seeing something through "a thin spot"?
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-03)
Unexplained,

Thank you for the added details. They make me wonder all that much more if I may be 'correct' about that 'thin spot'. It's even a bit easier to believe that a family was out in their orchard picking apples...

You may try the words 'Time Rift...Window...and Overlap' yes some of the links you find may be Dr. Who (ish) but you should find some that are not related to the TV series, nor to any games.

Again, thanks for the additional information.

Respectfully,

Rook
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-03)
Thanks for all your helpful comments. Rook, that's a classic point and I do wonder who scared who the most in a situation like that. I've never heard of a 'thin' spot before, so I'll look that up after I post this.

I've never heard of 'dreamsharing' from other people before, the word just popped into my head and it seemed appropriate for my experience and I don't even know if I'm using the right word for it, so I'm really grateful for your ideas on this.

With regards to the paranormal perspective, the house was built in 1912, so it's 100 years old this year.

The house, one of many 'railway cottages', was originally built for, and occupied by, employees of the local railway industry (the firemen, policemen, etc.) when the national network was being built.

The house was originally built on an old apple orchard. When I take a walk around the local area you can still see, even now, the odd, apple tree down the backyards in my neighbourhood.
falling_feathers (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-03)
Hi Unexplained. That's an interesting story. I'm thinking they were spirits/ghosts going on the fact when they saw you they 'ran' away. What's the history of your house? Was it once a park? Also I remember reading some where in school it was popular for children to wear 'naval' style uniforms in the late 1800s-early 1900s. So if I was researching the land your house is built on I'd start in that time frame.
newhunter30 (2 stories) (137 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-03)
LOL I like the other side of the coin you played out Rook. This is a good point that Rook brings up that I had not considered at first. I would say after reading his comment that would be the most logical answer I can think of.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+4
12 years ago (2012-08-03)
Unexplained,

Do you know the history of the property your residence sits on? Was it a Park back in the 1890's and during the early part of the 1900's? I ask because what you may have witnessed was a 'thin' spot... Or maybe better wording is this... A visual window into the past.

There have been other people who have described similar things, and in each case the 'images they saw' seemed to see them and react as if 'they' had seen a 'Ghost'.

It may have been a 'dream connection' but the little girls seemed to react as if they saw you... Can you imagine what it looked like from their side... It's 1905 a family and friends are having a picnic in the park. Looking up the first little girl sees a man in his 'pantaloons' walking down from/standing near the top of a tree. She 'bolts' from the sight, scared of what she had just seen and her friend runs after her wondering what is wrong.

Just thinking 'outside' the box. Thanks for sharing.

Respectfully,

Rook
newhunter30 (2 stories) (137 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-03)
As kardagen said this is not something I have heard of before but I would not say is impossible. I wonder if there is a possiblity to do something of a dream projection such as one would do with astral projection but instead of on the astral plane the dream would be projected into our world.
kardagen (2 stories) (161 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-03)
[at] Unexplained, its an interesting theory, and one that hits rather close to home, I fully believe in the ability to share one's subconsious with another, as I have my self done this. But, regretably not to the degree described in the story. I personally have never heard of it extending so far as a visual depiction, as which was described, it could be, and I speak purly on speculation, be a projection on your partners part. Subconsiously playing out and you simply happened to witness it, limiting the connection, or transferance of information between the two of you. As to say. She projected what she was dreaming, you witnessed that projection. This is all speculation of course. But an interesting theory, concept. Thank you for sharing, you've gotten my gears turning.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: