You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Cigaret

Real Ghost Stories

The Cigaret

 

THE CIGARET

I've recently come across this site and was interested in reading stories and people's experiences. I myself had countless paranormal experiences in my long life and would like to share them. I'm a retired engineer from the sugar cane industry and live in Mauritius. Sorry if my English is a bit weird, I'm of French culture.

This encounter is one of the scariest I've had. In the mid 60's, I was a young adult and enjoyed going to the pictures and I would regularly attend the evening sessions on Saturdays. Movies were so much better those days with great and talented actors and were not as violent as they are nowadays. Anyway, during summer 1964 I went to watch a movie. I forgot the title. The session had finished quite late, maybe around 11-11:30 pm and I proceeded to my place walking. My house was at around 3 Km's away. I must say that it was much safer to walk at night in this period than now.

I had just started smoking and was enjoying it; therefore, as I was walking back home, I took out a cigaret but realized that I had just 2 or 3 matches left. It must have been a bad luck that none of these matches would light. They all died before I could light my cigaret. I was annoyed and carried on walking. As I was leaving the small town of Rose Hill, I got into this usual lane which was pitch black, only lit by the stars and the small diffused light of town. After about 1 km, I approached a small bridge which was said to be haunted. I had walked there countless times at night and never saw or heard anything.

As I was coming closer, I noticed someone smoking by the bridge. I could see the tiny red tip of the cigaret and could only guess the outline of the person which I supposed was a man. I was desperate to smoke and decided to ask the guy to light my cigaret with his. I came closer and said hello and asked him this favor. By the light of his cigaret, I saw that it was a mature man dressed in a costume and wearing a hat. His outfit was not very odd since many men used to dress as such in this period; however, I felt uncomfortable standing by him and wanted to leave as fast as I could.

I was relieved of being able to smoke and reached home about half an hour later still smoking.

When I arrived home I went to the toilets, had a shower, ate diner and went to bed and carried on smoking. It's weird since I did not realize that I had been smoking all this time. My mind was not focused on that.

It was well over 1am and as I was lying down with my cigaret, I just recapped my whole day, thought about the movies and remembered to have met this guy who lit my cigaret. That's when an incredible feeling of terror got hold of me. I realized that the cigaret I was smoking was the same one lit by the man by the bridge and it was about two hours ago and the cigaret was not even half burned. I "heard" a voice in my head saying to give back the fire. I was instinctively "drawn" to go back to the bridge.

I quickly dressed up and left with the cigaret still lit. I could not smoke it anymore. I walked as fast as I could, sometimes running, to the bridge. When I arrived, the man was still there smoking. I now had a lamp with me and noticed that his eyes were very intense, a bit reddish. He was very thin and his skin was full of wrinkles and "carved" if I can say. Without a word, I gave him back the cigaret. He took it, touch the tip of the cigaret with his and it turned off and gave it back to me. As I took back the cigaret, I threw it away. When I looked back at the man he had vanished. I can't describe the utter fear and panic which got hold of me then. I ran to my house and while running, I could hear a sinister laughter in the background.

I arrived home exhausted and I could hardly sleep. It was only on Sunday morning that I could rest and get some sleep. No need to tell you that from that day I stopped smoking. Fortunately, I never encountered this man again. I suspect him to be a witch.

At that time there was a lot of witchcraft in the island and a lot of people would daily make these kind of encounters. To the "best" they would be victim of "pranks" to the worst, some people would become insane and some die, being victim of a malevolent witch or entity.

Other hauntings by Cafelelion

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Cafelelion, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

miss_marvel (1 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-24)
I love all of your stories they are spooky. I can't believe you experienced so much paranormal things in your life.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-06)
i really liked this story as it fascinated me very much. Thanks for sharing it, now I shall go though the rest of yours! Oh by the way ygs memebers... According to chinese beliefs, aug 4th started off "ghost month"...get googling! 😆
Gayatrishiva (3 stories) (121 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-05)
Holy crap I would never go to give it again but I guess it made you go to him. I must say all your stories are scary and it made me loose my sleep.
brokenbabygirl (1 stories) (5 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-09-03)
Thanks for sharing the story, I have been a smoker for a while now, I have my ashtray, lighter and smokes beside me but find myself hesitant to light one. Also thanks to your story I have sinister laughing in my head but I know that's cause I have an overactive imagination lol I stop reading ghost stories at 2am...
Cafelelion (12 stories) (30 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-17)
Hi Ken53,

Nice to hear from you. I posted quite a few. Just have a look.

Thanks and keep well
ken53 (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-17)
Hey Cafelelion,
Thanks for the information about Trianon. If you have got more stories please post other stories, can't wait to read them. Take care. 😊
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-11)
Cafeleion, you have some very interesting stories and I've enjoyed them all! Thanks for sharing them with us and please add as many as you want when you feel like it.
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
Cafelelion

What a great story! Very intense and very unusual! Well, I guess that is one way to give up smoking! As scary as this encounter was, perhaps this was the being's intention all along, to help you quit and live a longer and healthier life... Who knows?

Thanks for sharing, I have goosebumps now! 😊
Heartique (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
Wow! Great story! Very very creepy! I love stories like this based back in different times:)
PurplePanda (18 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-03)
Wow. What a spooky story! I don't think I would have had the courage to go back. It definitely would have made me quit smoking. And drinking. And any other substances popular back in the 60's.

In my job I research new hotels being built throughout Africa. Mauritius is a beautiful island. Wish I could visit.

Your English is superb, by the way. Better, I'm afraid than many Americans. Thanks so much for sharing.
Cafelelion (12 stories) (30 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-03)
Hi sds,

Actually, I was kind of summoned in my mind to bring back the cigaret. It's difficult to explain, like I was called to go back even though I was scared. It's actually after this guy vanished that I got a horrific feeling and terrible fear. I must have run quicker than bolts then. On top of that, the road was pitch black because during these years, there were no street lights in non main roads.
Cafelelion (12 stories) (30 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-03)
Hey Ken53,

Great to be read from a buddy. Trianon is no more as eerie as it used to be. It's now very developed with a lot of commercial buildings, shopping centers and business hubs. I must say that these encounters are very rare now, only in small villages and not often. Anyway, I'll post other stories soon.

Keep well
Cafelelion (12 stories) (30 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-08-03)
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your comments. I can tell you that by the time, it was not funny at all. For weeks I was freaked out to walk past that bridge knowing that it was the only road to get to my house. For a long period, I chose to go to earlier sessions with friends. I eventually heard that this guy was a witch who used to do those kind of pranks. Anyway, I have a lot of other paranormal stories to tell. I will post them as soon as it's possible.

Thanks
sonri (2 stories) (91 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-03)
Great story, incredible enough to be believed. What an amazing world we live in, always there is more to discover. I wish I could always know the right questions to ask when the opportunity presents itself.
I want to read more from you.
Also, I love classic movies. Humphrey Bogart to me was the coolest ever, defined coolness. Which is funny to me that I bring him up here, because he was always smoking and made it look oh so good.
Maybe, he had one of these awesome money saving cigarets. 😜
He was asked in "Casablanca" his nationallity, "I'm a drunkard", he said nonchalantly.
Makes me laugh to this day.
Please, tell us more.
reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-03)
"Movies were so much better those days with great and talented actors and were not as violent as they are nowadays." Oh, I just wanted to hug you for saying that ^-^

Okay, so your story - Woowie! That's the kind of tale that really gets a person's attention. Definitely going to my favs, thank you for sharing! 😆
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-03)
A truly great encounter Mr. Cafelelion. You must really be lion-hearted to go back and give him back the cigarette and what a way to stop smoking. Strange. Well, I would have thrown the cigarette off like you did but after seeing that the person vanished, probably I would have had a massive heart attack. Thanks for sharing. Keep posting your experiences.

Regards and respects to you,

SDS
Sahee (12 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-03)
Great story!
How I wish my brother would encounter that too, so he can stop smoking;D
And you were brave.
ashville (3 stories) (42 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-03)
Awesome story... And even better as I read it in my head with a husky french accent;)
ken53 (2 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-03)
hi I'm a mauritian, I live in perth. I understand you perfectly, I remember my grandmother use to tell us lot's of such stories which happened mainly in the area call Trianon. She told us that she once talked to a man at night and when she looked at the ground she saw the person's feet not touching the ground and she ran away. Trianon is not that far from rosehill and I think that there was something not normal there or still is. 😨
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-02)
Wow Cafelelion, this story is intense, he must of really needed that light, I wonder who it was? Sounds quite eerie I think I would have thrown away the cigarette as well! Great story going to my faves.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
mrfear672india (106 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-02)
Really spine chilling experience.
I don't know how you went there again knowing the fact.
eric1966 (8 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-02)
REally great story and a great way to stop smoking as well, I grew up in the Cayman Islands and there was a lot of local folklore legends about the 'duppies.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-02)
Whoa! Holy Crap! How freaking scary was that, huh?
Great story here. And certainly different, to say the least. I love this one, it's going to my favorites list.
Thank you Cafelelion. You got me sitting straight up while reading this.

Jav 😲
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-02)
Cafeleion - since I am not a smoker, I have to say "congratulations" 😉 But... Holy crap! Wow! What a truly horrifying way to quit smoking! OMG! Seriously? If that's a method that is used to make people quit smoking, damn!

I was imagining a character out of one of the Disney movies my little boy and I watch. I'm sure it's nowhere near what you saw, but that character I wouldn't want to run into in the dark either 😨

Great story, thank you.
moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
+4
12 years ago (2012-08-02)
This story rocks! I am alone at a salt mine in central New York and reading this story was very entertaining - unique too. Thanks.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: