You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: Hovering Vacuum Cleaner

Real Ghost Stories

Hovering Vacuum Cleaner

 

I don't really like stories that are posted on behalf of someone else, I think it often damages the credibility. I'm only submitting this story because I believe 100% that it is real. It is an encounter that happened to my best friend Max. He's the kind of best friend that you consider more to be family than a friend, and I have no reason to believe that he made this up, he's not the sort of person to make things up just to scare people. Also, it took me a couple of years to get him to tell me these experiences, as he's not really a believer of paranormal things, although if this happened to me I know I'd believe for sure!

When Max was 9 or 10, he used to live in a small 2 bedroom terrace house here in the south of England (just outside Portsmouth if you're interested), at the time he lived with his Mum and older brother. This is exactly how he told the story to me, so if it lacks detail, I apologize. He woke up in the middle of the night, and went downstairs to get a drink, as he got to the bottom of the stairs and turned the corner to walk towards the kitchen, he instantly froze. In the small hallway, was the vacuum cleaner. It was one of the upright type cleaners, with the big bag on it, and it was hovering all by itself! It was not plugged in and there was no noise coming from it. It was just gliding back and forth.

Understandably he didn't get a drink, he just ran back up to bed and hid under the covers. He never saw it happen again. But he did see a heavy clock fly off the wall. His friend and Mum saw it too. It was screwed to the wall with two screws, yet it just flew off the wall. His friend never went back into his house.

I think he's experienced other things but he's a bit weary of telling me. Like I said, I really don't like posting someone else's story, I wasn't there so I can't state whether it is true. But I do know Max, and I trust him with my life, and I honestly believe these things happened. I know everyone says that when posting someone else's story, so you'll just have to take my word that I'm not just really gullible!

Other hauntings by lian01

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lian01, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

wendymneil123 (7 stories) (24 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-14)
cool story, I would be totally freaked out, I also prefer the American accent, the british is so boring!
Martin (602 posts) mod
+1
17 years ago (2007-08-09)
lian01, I will try not to change the spelling from british to american anymore. I use a spell checker on all stories and it has a definite yankee bias 😉
lian01 (3 stories) (65 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-30)
I never knew the british accent was so popular! It's a pity you can't record stories on here, otherwise I could read you all spooky bedtime stories with my pearly queen accent. Maybe I'll record a CD with loads of scarey stories, I'll be an internet millionaire!
Thanks for your comments
Abby (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-28)
Dear lian01,

Hmmmm, your friend may have had an encounter with a poltergeist who also had OCD in regards to cleaning equipment like vacuums. After all, vacuums do come with a lot of extra attachments. In this case, a poltergeist.

I agree with you, your story would be great to read the way you wrote it in the, "Queen's English". Having been blessed to grow up in, with and around diverse cultures and languages, I can appreciate such diversity, as well as your story being told in your native "English" language. 😊

Hope your friend settled in and will consider posting his own personal stories here in the future.
Blessings, Abby
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-27)
Oh, Lian, I tried to comment yesterday but it just wouldn't let me do it. Since then I see you've had a lot of feedback. When Max moves in I think you should make him tell you more stories in lieu of rent. That could be very interesting. Shane's right, most people would be more interested in reading the stories than tearing them apart. I know I would be. Since he's so shy about telling his stories I find that is good reason to believe they are authentic. But since you can tell a story so well, I think it would be just as great having you relay his tales. It's nice to read a story that follows a plot line and uses proper English, Queen's English (like we do in Canada)! Peas in a pod!
fizzylizzie (2 stories) (67 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-27)
wow, I've encountered a lot of weird thing but no poltergeist, I can imagine how scared he must have been 😐
monica5 (3 stories) (22 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-27)
well Lian, I wish I could hear you explain this in person love accents from you side of the world, about the story I truly believe what your firend seen, something like that is not so unbelivable truly possible and if his mum seen it then no doubt there, had you ever tried to find out the history of his flat? Was this a regular occurance? Do they still reside there? Intresting but the vaccumm? Nothing surprises me maybe it had something to do with the visit I dunno.
Thanks for sharing
m5
Lexiluca (8 stories) (78 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-27)
I love how the British spell tire "tyre" - it looks so much cooler. Seriously.
Lexiluca (8 stories) (78 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-27)
AH! A ghost missing the habitual cleaning chores! Now that's funny - yet extremely spooky. I don't really know what to think about that, it's messed up. *shudders* Heebijeebies, people. Ack.
lian01 (3 stories) (65 posts)
+2
17 years ago (2007-07-27)
I've just noticed something... Martin edited some of my story so that certain words were spelt the American way! Come on, we all know that it's called the 'English language', and it's you Americans who spell things wrong! 😉

Just kidding, I love my American cousins (apart from the Bush voters!)
lian01 (3 stories) (65 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-27)
As luck would have it, my friend Max is moving in with me for a couple of months, starting from tonight. I'm going to see if I can get any more stories out of him. If I do, with his consent, I'll post them.
I know he has defiantely had several 'experiences', so fingrs crossed!
JENNIFER (1 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-27)
wow. That was a good, and I understand why he is weary, when I tell people things most of the time they think I'm crazy or thatI make them up. I have lots of thing to tell and I am wary to but maybe ill try
CearysAwesome (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-26)
Lian01,
That's really creepy... Does your friend know why his vaccuum cleaner and clock would fly? Maybe someone loved to clean and wanted to use the vaccuum.

Ceary
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-26)
You will just have to let him know that there are people out here who do not ridicule others for experiences that they have had. Tell him he can always publish them here on this site under an assumed name. Sure he is going to get the usual skeptics picking on his stories and maybe even a few of the true believers disbelieving a few of his stories, but for the most part he will be able to get them off his chest.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: