You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Natalia's Grandmother

Real Ghost Stories

Natalia's Grandmother

 

This story is the first time I ever encountered a ghost. Lucky for me, it wasn't in my house, but it was still enough to scare me for quite a while. I was about 11 or 12 at the time.

Growing up, I believed in ghosts like you would believe in Santa Claus or the tooth fairy-- it was something I thought was real but had no evidence to back it up. Then, when I stopped believing in things like Santa Claus, I stopped believing in ghosts as well. It was in this doubting period that I saw my first apparition that caused me to believe in the paranormal again.

My friend Natalia, who was 14 or 15 back then, told me that when she and one of her other friends had visited her grandpa's house that week, they had seen the full-bodied apparition of her dead grandmother. I got angry with her and told her how crazy she sounded. She insisted it was the truth, and invited me to spend the night with her at her grandpa's house to prove it. I decided to take her up on that offer to validate my claim that there really was nothing there.

We went over to her grandpa's house and set up somewhat of a stakeout in the room she saw the ghost. There was no professional equipment involved, just the two of us talking and keeping our eyes open for anything out of the ordinary. At around 12, Natalia went to get snacks from the kitchen and left me on watch by myself.

A few seconds after she'd left, an old lady walked into the room by a different entrance than Natalia had used. She stared at me kindly as I stared back, my eyes locked on hers. Just before Natalia walked back into the room, she broke eye contact and exited the same way she had came.

When Natalia came back, I asked her if her grandpa had a girlfriend or a friend that was in the house. When she said no, I told her about the lady I saw and what she looked like. She showed me a picture that looked exactly like the person I had seen. Her eyes got wide and she said I had just saw her dead grandmother.

I was shocked, but looking back it became more obvious that the woman did seem a little odd. For starters, the way she just walked into the room with no intention other than to stare at me was really out of place. Then, as I thought some more, I realized she didn't have a noticeable shadow -- and the way the lights were shining she definitely should have.

The rest of the night went on without incident. What happened made me a believer, and I've never doubted the existence of the paranormal after that, though the experience frightened me so much I decided to leave ghosts and everything related alone for a couple years.

When I asked her about it recently, Natalia said that since that night her grandmother has never been seen again.

Other hauntings by MickeyN

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MickeyN, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-08)
"And if I die today, I'll be the happy phantom -
And I'll go chassin' the nuns out in the yard!
And I'll run naked through the streets without my mask on;
And I will never need umbrellas in the rain.
I'll wake up in strawberry fields every day.
And the atrocities of school I can forgive
The happy phantom has no right to b!tch..."

Tori Amos had it right πŸ˜‰
MickeyN (2 stories) (21 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
To Miracles: Haha, it's okay. I haven't been able to get online for a couple days anyways.

To reddysteady: Sadly, though me and Natalia still talk, we're not as close as we used to be. I'll have to ask her more about her grandmother the next time we IM.

I like the idea of her coming back to prove a point. I know the first thing I'm going to do as a spirit is give my little brother a good scare, because he doesn't believe in ghosts and actually mocks me about it. πŸ˜†

-MickeyN
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
cosmogal - we'll have to go back and see Scott LMAO! Can you imagine his expression?

Wait, maybe that's what the other woman is doing there... Fulfilling her bucket list. Nah... Sounds like she might have been fulfilling someone's wish list, but not...okay. That's just...yeah, enough. Ick and I got to go. Time to go home πŸ˜† Isn't there a shuddering smiley somewhere? πŸ˜†
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
MickeyN, I am in total agreement with Miracles and reddysteady. I believe that your friend's grandmother was determined to prove a point. Making eye contact with you was her way of saying..."Hey, I know you can see me." 😊 Great experience thanks for sharing it.

[at] Miracles and reddy, I will probably end up doing some kind of weird dance in front of somebody to get their attention. Maybe the cabbabe patch, or running man. πŸ˜† Can you imagine? πŸ˜†
reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
I've warned my brothers time and time again that, if I pass first, I fully intend to come back and haunt them for the soul purpose of drinking their beers when they're not looking. It'd be doing them a great service πŸ˜†
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
reddysteady - I have a "bucket list" of things I'm going to do when I'm a ghost. That's one of them πŸ˜†. Only I'm not going to leave πŸ˜‰
reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
Ha - Did Natalia ever tell you much about her Grandmother's personality? I wouldn't be surprised if she were a little spunky - "Oh, this young lady doesn't believe what my Granddaughter has to say, eh? Well, I'll just prove her..." The thought makes me smile.

Awesome story, thank you for hsaring 😁
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
MickeyN - Omigosh, I am so sorry. I meant to comment on this a couple of days ago 😳.

There is absolutely not a doubt in my mind that the only reason Natalia's grandmother showed herself to you was to "reawaken" your belief. Once that happened, she didn't need to be here anymore.

Just my take on the situation πŸ˜‰. Great story, by the way 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: