You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: My Experience With Ouija Boards

Real Ghost Stories

My Experience With Ouija Boards

 

When I was 17 me and a group of friends found out about an old abandoned building that was near to an old unused mental health hospital or care home (I can't really remember which it was but the name was Winterton and it was in a village called Sedgefield). We thought it would be a cool place to hang out so we went to see what it was like. It was a two story building made of grey stone (sorry for the technical talk there) and all the windows had been boarded up. We found a big window on the ground floor where the board had been pulled loose at one corner and we went inside. After having a look around the whole building, we thought it must have been a wing of the hospital reserved for children or teenagers as there was a room where the walls were covered in graffiti-type art and cartoon characters (the only one of which I can remember was Kenny from south park), but it didn't look as if other people like ourselves who had came here after it was abandoned had done it.

Anyway it was a pretty creepy place which gave it a certain charm, so we started hanging out there fairly often and one day one of my friends suggested we do a Ouija board and being young and foolish we all agreed. We made our own using bits of paper with the letters written on them, a glass tumbler and a monopoly board (which we turned upside down for professionalism). We got it all set up in one the rooms upstairs and lit a few candles so we could see what we were doing and we all put one finger each on the glass tumbler. After a while of us asking questions it seemed like nothing would happen but then the glass started to move and it indicated that it was going to hurt one of my friends (who I will call Rob). We were all a little freaked out by this and stopped immediately. We then burned the letters we had made and smashed the glass (I had heard that you are meant to do this although I can't remember where from) and we started running out of the building.

On the way out one of my other friends (Steven) admitted it had been him moving the glass and we all had a laugh about it but just as we were nearing the bottom of the stairs we heard heavy footsteps upstairs that sounded like someone running and they were moving closer to us so we all ran full speed out of the building and across the field. I never went back to there again after that.

A little later that day most of my friends had went home and there were only four of us left (one being Rob and another being Steven) and we went to Rob's house as he had to go home for dinner but he said that we could wait in his garage. After waiting for a while we decided we would do another Ouija board (I really don't know why) even though we knew Steven had been moving the glass before. This time we apparently got in contact with a young girl that had been murdered and we were asking a few questions when the glass started moving faster and faster around the board. I thought it was Steven again moving the glass, but he looked just as shocked as us and then the glass got really hot and I took my hand away and I had a really bad blister on my finger for about three days. I am not in contact with any of my friends from those days anymore, but from the day we did it until the last time we talked about it both of my friends that were there swore blind that it wasn't them moving the glass and neither of them felt it get hot. Also I think I should add when the glass got hot it wasn't like a gradual building of heat it was an instant thing.

Ouija Board Story

This story isn't about me but it is a story I was told by my mother, and I don't know if it is true but my mother definitely wouldn't make something like this up. It is a story she was told herself about her father. He and a group of his friends were getting drunk one night in a graveyard (of all the places to get drunk) and they started doing a Ouija board. At some point I guess they must have offended something because the glass shattered and a piece of it got stuck in one of them (I won't go into details with the age limit being 13) and he died right there.

To be honest I think this sounds a little farfetched. I mean I suppose it is entirely possible but it just sounds to me like one of those stories that are made up to scare children away from doing something. I just thought I'd share this one with everyone and let them make up their own minds about it and hopefully my stories about Ouija boards will deter other people from trying them as they are definitely not toys that should be messed with for a laugh.

Other hauntings by Valentine19

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Valentine19, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

brennessel (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-19)
I was happy to come across this story, because i'm from Sedgefield and know the area you're talking about:) Only now the hospital isn't around, and there's been a housing esate there for about 10 years. When did your story happen, is the abandoned building still there?
Valentine19 (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
Thanks for the comments, and I couldn't agree more. Ouija boards are no good.

[at] PoliexterLy, Now that I think about it, it does seem a bit strange that we chose to spend our time waiting doing a ouija board. I think it was just something that we thought would be kind of exciting. Ain't hindsight a beautiful thing.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
I commented yesterday and now also I am pleading with every one that Ouija is not a toy. Don't try it at all and especially alone. Ouija is a gateway to the spirits to enter our world and haunt us. We do not know what is in store on the other side. So, don't play Ouija. But, Valentine, whatever you mother did, assuming that she made up some story, is a good thing. If any made-up story trying to dissuade children and youngsters from playing Ouija is always welcome.

Nice narration.

Regards,

SDS
ivory (9 stories) (77 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
never mess with ouija board... Ever!... But your'e lucky nothing bad happened
galleygal (3 stories) (150 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
[at] mslees - what is glassy glassy? Got to fill in 50 to publish!
mslees (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
Ouija are bad news! Summoning spirits is never a good thing. Even palying stuff like bloody mary and glassy glassy.
PoliexterLy (2 stories) (92 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
Wow! A bunch of hungry teenagers waiting for Rob to finish supper while they spend the time building a Ouija board in the garage? That is not paranormal, that is just abnormal!
By the way, interesting story. Thanks for sharing 😜

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: