You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Visiting Pets

Real Ghost Stories

Visiting Pets

 

During my life I have had a lot of pets but had never been "haunted" by one, until I moved in with my now ex-girlfriend. She had a pure white German Shepherd that I had met a few times before my ex and I were together but sadly she died. After my ex and I started living together we bought a pool table and we started finding white dog hairs on this pool table when we could see no way of them getting there. We only had one other pet in the house, which was a black toy poodle. Eventually, whenever we found a white dog hair we would say hello to her.

About a year ago the black toy poodle I mentioned had a major seizure (she was 17 years old) and we couldn't get her to a vet since it was around 2:30 in the morning and neither of us drove or had any friends nearby and after trying unsuccessfully to get her to pull round for what seemed like forever, I had to end her suffering (still kills me and is by far the hardest thing I have ever had to do and hopefully ever will have to do).

The very next day I was saying how guilty I felt and I heard a tapping noise upstairs that was unmistakable. It was our toy poodle trying to get up on the bed (she always used to dance around the bed trying to jump up since she was so small) and after a few minutes the noise stopped and I went to look to see if I could see anything, which I couldn't, so I went back downstairs and I heard her jump down off the bed (again a noise that couldn't have been anything else). Anyone with pets will know that you learn the different noises your pet makes and could tell them apart from any other noise no matter how similar they sound.) I like to think she came back to reassure me that I don't have to feel guilty and that I helped her (not that that changed anything) but who knows.

Another one of my pets that came to "visit" me was my cat Victor. He was a grey and white Maine Coon and he had problems since he was a baby so he had to keep his head tipped to the right all of the time and he had bad balance. He passed away in his sleep from a heart attack a few days after his first birthday and it devastated me. I just held him for hours. For about a week after that I knew he was still there as I could hear the bell on his collar and the very strange noise he used to make every time he cried (it was kind of a half purr before every cry). Also I could see him. Every time I went up the stairs, he would be sitting there on the stairs. Now I say I could "see" him, but I don't mean I could literally see him. I knew he was there and it was as if I could see him (think if you looked at someone and then they became invisible, all of your other senses would tell you that person was still there. Sorry but that is as well as I can describe it). After about a week I stopped seeing and hearing him. I don't know if he really was still there or if I just missed him so much that my mind was trying to comfort itself, but either way I like to believe it was him saying goodbye or just hanging around for a while before going off to explore new places.

Other hauntings by Valentine19

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Valentine19, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-11)
I need to clarify my previous comment regarding Piper, as it is misleading. Yes, Piper was "my" dog when she died, but I only had her for a year. She was actually given to me. But, as all pet owners know, it doesn't matter how long we've had our pets, be it an hour or their entire lifetime, we love them and it's heartbreaking to lose them. As for Piper, I did know her for her entire life, but she only lived with us her last year ❤

I just felt like I should clear that up. Thank you.
Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-11)
Oh lord I wasn't going to post tonight as I've already had a weep over Benny Kippy Cherry and Domink tonight.

[at] Lou your post like with Jav brought me to tears, again tonight. OMG beautifully put 😭

[at] sonri as I have said before don't feel guilty, you did what was best for her not for you, and THAT is the hardest thing of all to do for our pets. To let them go peacefully when the time comes.

Now if youll all excuse me I'm going for a good weep 😭
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
sonri - there's something I want to share with you and, although I know this isn't a spiritual site, I think there are a lot of people who might benefit from this as I have.

I'm taking this quote from a book I'm reading by Doreen Virtue: "Many animals are on angelic assignment from God to provide solace, comfort, and companionship to us humans. Pets also perform the heavenly function of absorbing stress from our household, much like an air filter suctioning smoke out of a room. Angels, such as your pet, thrive on feeling loved and appreciated. They ask for so little, and yet give us so much in return."

I lost two of my dogs last year and it broke my heart. Phoebe was 7 1/2 and Piper was 5. But I wouldn't trade the joy they gave me while I had them for anything ❤

Lou, you brought tears to my eyes also. And I truly regret that I had no more karma points to give you today ❤
sonri (2 stories) (91 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
Thanks LouSlips for the comforting words. I almost got on here the other night, to ask for prayer. I've had some rough moments, recently. But, it seemed too pitiable a request. I don't want pity, as I don't want to be pitiable.
I would like to know why I feel precognitive sorrow and anger. If there is nothing I can do about it, why must I be made to feel it?
I don't like to feel so much. When it comes over me, it's near too much to bare.

Thanks for the prayer.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
[at] Lou,
Is it any wonder why we love you so much around here? Reading this brought me to tears. You are a good man LouSlips. And I am proud to call you my friend.

Jav ❤
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+5
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
Sonri,

I don't know where to begin with regards to addressing your plight, so I am just going to skirt the edges and hope it will lead to a healthy conclusion. We all lose people, we all lose pets, we all suffer, and we all experience the pain of these losses. None of us, including yourself, are responsible for when someone's time has come. By my beliefs, it is predetermined... There is nothing that can be done to stop it.
By expressing that you serve as some type of portal for those who are ready to pass, I did not mean to imply that you were responsible for their deaths, or that it was your responsibility to prevent them. When I go, I want my father and all of my friends and relatives who left before me, to greet me and carry me to the other side. Well, what if some creatures as well as people, don't have anyone that is going to come to meet them? Maybe they need someone to help from this side?
Some cultures embrace death and celebrate it... I do not know how they do it, so I cannot ask you to. The impression I got from your post was that they need you to be there for them. Whether it be with them in their final days or whether it be spiritually supporting them from afar... You are part of their journey. I don't know how to help you with the pain, I wish I could. But if you remove yourself from the time you could have with them, because you are afraid; you are doing them a disservice. They come to you for a reason, whether it be in flesh and bone or just in your thoughts... For whatever reason that is, I do not know. But if you love them for what they mean to you in life, it is going to allow them and yourself the closure that we all eventually must face. Don't live with "if's"..."if only I had done this, or that". Live your life, and fill those around you with love... And your end of their journey, and your role in it, is fulfilled.

You are in my prayers,
Lou
sonri (2 stories) (91 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
Its taken me too long to respond to this; due to timely interruptions, and frankly I just don't know how much I should say.
I need to know more about this whatever it is- LouSlips- this portal, or passageway. I've been needing to know.
When I read your comment, it made my skin feel numb. I don't know how else to describe it. I've been so stupid.
Its the same with animals as it has been with people. Isn't it! Oh God, I know it is. Has always been.
When someone is about to die, I know, by the urge I feel to be near them, how frequently they come into my thoughts, my heart. This makes me very nervous, when someone comes into my heart when I haven't thought of them in so long, but when its real, when its this, I know it. I do not however know anything useful, like how to stop it. Useful details; I'm made blind to. I say made blind, because afterward, I recognize so much.
Sometimes, I go into a sort of restless maddening fit (helplessness, a gasping condensed sorrow, a sad sickened rage) when something really bad is about to happen; particularly when children are involved. Tell me more, if you can, LouSlips, someone, for I feel I've already said too much. This isn't easy for me. Something, I keep close to the chest. I don't yet understand. But, its there, this unexplainable part of myself; and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. How can I keep from being blocked? If I could have figured this out, whatever it is, instead of being so bleeping logical and automatically self-dismissive, maybe I could have saved them. Maybe I could have saved them. Excuse me while I hate myself.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-08)
Valentine,
First of all, I'm sorry for loss. It's never easy to lose someone or something you really care about. Know that your pets come to comfort you in your time of need (dead or alive).

Fanny,
As a lover of animals, that poem made me cry.: (

Sonri,
I totally agree with LouSlips on this one. Give the love that you have to these animals. I know it's never easy to lose a beloved pet, especially, if it's before their time but know that they are better off in a better place knowing that they got your love. But I would suggest you do some research on what is happening around because I do find it weird this is happening to you. I also suggest you bless your home in whatever religious faith you practice so that you can protect yourself and family (both human and animal).
Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
[at] Jav oh yes I certainly did see this one 😊 and I do remember that little trick you said. So far have only heard him bark, the first time the following morning when I had to go out (heard him from his couch by the front door!)
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
[at] Tish,
Oh man! I should have known you were going to see this one. I know how you feel, this one got me too. Just remember that thing I told you about seeing them outside your direct line of sight. Practice. You'll get there.

Jav ❤
Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
Valentine thank you for sharing. Its always difficult to have to put a much loved pet down so don't feel guilty about having to do that. It was best for her to do so and she, I firmly believe, came back to let you know she was now fine and not suffering.

As BJJ and Jav said they become a part of the family, and many of us have had similar experiences with our pets returning to us.

Lord I so want to cry right now as I just recently had to put one of my own down last month. Benny was 16. Time and age finally caught up with him but oh some happy memories of him and the rest have come to mind!
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
Valentine, I have also had an experience with a pet who had passed, although I'm not sure if it was an actual presence or just residual energy. In your case, I'm leaning towards an actual presence because in the case of the white dog there was a physical manifestation of hair and in the case of the poodle and the cat, the experiences were so soon after they had passed. Don't beat yourself up about the poodle. You did what you had to do and your motives were good. You only wanted to spare any further suffering. If you believe she came back to let you know she was okay and you shouldn't feel bad, then I believe that's exactly right.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
Sonri,

Is there some dark entity in your life that could be responsible for eliminating these animals as a means of tormenting you? If not, please indulge me for a moment.

I am not making a joke or trying to be overly weird, but maybe you are some sort of portal or passage for them into their next life. My beliefs are that what awaits us after this life is better than what we experience on earth. If you are denying these creatures affection, are you not also denying them their right of passage to a better place, if your connection to their death is as you have described? Not only that, but by refusing their affection or not giving your own, you are also denying yourself the gift they bring with their presence. Your time with them may end horribly, but finding a way to accept your worth to them and embracing their gift of love, may be the only way to cope. Your affection for them is readily apparent... By ignoring them, you are denying both sides, the gift you may possess.

Lou
Valentine19 (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
[at] BadJuuJuu Thank you, I would like the believe that you are right. And yeah, the grief stays with you but the memories you have of them do help, I have so many photographs of most of the pets i've had (and it kills me that I couldn't get photos of some) and it hurts to look at them but it also helps especially for someone with a memory like mine.

[at] ashville Thank you, and I would like to think that she is with you even if she doesn't make herself known. I think that pets tend to stick around until they know you don't need them anymore and then they go on to wait for you in the next life whatever that may be. And with it being so emotional for you I think she will stick around for a long time yet. And I know what you mean about the anger, I remember when I lost 2 of my older cats within days of each other to a horrible illness I got so angry at God and I (and I apolgise if this offends anyone I do not intend it to) don't even believe in Him.
Valentine19 (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
[at] sonri I know exactly how you feel. I have lost so many pets too and most of them were well before their time, it is extremely hard to bear but I think even with how hard it is to lose a pet the time you get with them is worth the heartache. And I would say it is definately not your fault and the same thing would have happened even if you hadn't gotten close to her.
But yes I know how you feel I don't know if I could ever go out and find another pet as, and i'm sorry for being selfish, I don't think I could take burying another. And please, don't apologise for posting I'm glad you did and it often helps to tell these things.

Long days and pleasant nights - Valentine
Valentine19 (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
Thank you all so much for your kind words.

[at] Fanny, Thank you for that link it is a nice, comforting poem. When Victor passed we had him cremated so he could be with us always and we were sent this poem which even now I find it so hard to read but it is a beautiful poem. And sorry but it is rather a long one.

Forget me not, for we must say goodbye
Keep me in your heart, and I will never die
The long road ahead may seem very tough
But sure, happy memories are more than enough

Spread my ashes through soul and mind
For my spirit will live on in hearts of those I find
Do not stand and fully weep
Even though the loss may feel very deep

Take comfort in knowing that I loved you
A love we shared, a love that grew
So do not forget me, our love has no end
I'm glad that we met, my one true friend
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
I always love these stories. I have the same phenomenon in my home as well. Not the white dog hairs, that would be impossible to tell apart from the other two dogs that live with us. But I do know that two of my lovelies do come and visit since they have passed on.
Thank you for sharing, this brought back many loving memories of my own. ❤

Jav 😊
LindaG (3 stories) (32 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
I really like this story, and I want it to be true. For you, to bring comfort; and to those of us with pets getting older, and will send over the Rainbow Bridge one day. I hope I'm haunted by my cat - it would make me feel better.
Thanks for telling your story.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
As an animal lover myself, I love this story and can relate to it personally as well. I had a dog for approximately 17 years. She died in my arms as well, on Christmas morning. After she passed, I used to hear her bark throughout the house. I could feel her presence around me also for a long time. I will never forget her and she was a major part of my family. I think that our pets are just as capable to come back to visit us and check on us as anyone else is.

Good luck, zeta. 😊
reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
Visiting pet stories are always my favorite 😊 I think animals, more than people, really understand the concepts of love and attachment, and are more readily willing to reciprocate those tender emotions. It sounds very odd, but I hope beyond hope that my kitty visits me when she passes - which will hopefully not be for at *least* another ten years (she's six).
😊

Thank you for sharing!

Love and light,
Red
ashville (3 stories) (42 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
Hi Valentine... What a sad story, and so sorry to hear that. I think you are lucky though that you were given reassurance and a little goodbye by some of your passing pets. I had to put my horse down after 8months, and I just remember feeling dead inside after that. From the point I knew what was going to happen to now... (9 years ago) I never cried about it, all my feelings turned into anger... And I just wish somehow someway I could see her again, or that she would come visit... Even in the most subtle of ways. Thank you for sharing.
sarah84 (2 stories) (18 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
i once was haunted by an animal, I wouldn't say it was a pet as I didn't own it when it was alive. There used to be a light blue budgie that was in my house after we moved in. It was fine and used to merly sit on my right shoulder it scared me at night (I was only 12 at the time) as it would fly around my bed flapping its wings ferocisly. One time it did it so much that I threw myself down the ladder (bunk bed) and bolted to mum who was down stairs at the time. After that I would leave my window open at night in hope that it would fly away and go to birdie heaven. And I guess it worked because one day it just never came back and I am greatful for that. I wish you all the best
Blessed be 😊
stephyw2001 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
Oh Fanny, when I had to put my cat down the humane society that did it for me sent me a sympathy card with that rainbow bridge poem in it. Its a beautiful poem, but even merely thinking about it makes me tear up. Its very nice, but doesn't help ease the sadness of your lost pet. 😭 Though thank you for posting it for the OP. Some people probably take more comfort in words like that than I do. I just get more depressed.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+4
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your pets. Animals become a part of the family, and when one has to leave us the grief is almost too much to bear. When you have to help one leave, it's indescribable how much it hurts. I think that although it's a terrible heartbreak for us, that helping them make that journey is a kindness. A tragic kindness, but a kindness all the same. It's putting our beloved family member's needs before our own, giving them the gift of mercy. I think that's why they return for a last visit, to say goodbye as well as thank you, and to remind you that they love you.
The grief doesn't go away, but in time the happy memories will overcome the sad.
Blessed be ❤
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
What a beautiful story! I do believe that all those we have loved in our lives stay with us. I'd like to think that all my cats would be here with me in Spirit.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
Fanny (2 stories) (105 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
Follow this link and read this poem. Perhaps even share it with your ex. I hope it makes you feel better.

Http://www.rainbowbridge.com/Poem.htm

Best Fanny ❤
sonri (2 stories) (91 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
It is so difficult losing a pet.
In fact I don't even want any more. I'm weary of losing them. It seems every animal I develop a soft spot for dies before its time in an unlimited variety of ways, or vanishes mysteriously never to be found.
I keep pets for my kids, but I can't like them, if I do, it seems, now, nearly the minute I do; they die. I love animals, so it seems I can not love any animal in particular; until this 'curse', or whatever, is resolved.
Last time, rather recently, it was a cat. She lived with us 8 or so months before I decided yes, (I'm being ridiculous) I like her, paid her a little special attention, it felt good to allow myself to bond with a pet again.
The very next day she disappeared. She was gone two days. While suffering a migraine, I found her under a neighbors rv, she was delirius, off-balance. She died terribly. Was it my fault? I need to figure this out. I wonder if she'd, they'd, still be around, if I'd just kept at an emotional distance. I'm sorry my comment was so sickeningly self-involved and depressing, but your story only reminded me of my own sad little mystery. Until its resolved, I'm afraid, all animal stories will.
Hesitate posting this, for I don't think it can do any good, only aggravate people. I edited out a lot but its still long-winded. Sorry, I had to try.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: