You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: Poltergeist Nightmare

Real Ghost Stories

Poltergeist Nightmare

 

Growing up I had a troubled childhood, but the years between 12 and 14 years of age was the worst and that is when the following incidents take place.

My mother, stepfather and I had moved to a new house on the edge of the countryside. My stepfather was mentally and physically abusive to me and my mother at the time. I hated him and hated being at home if my parents were there. I would escape in my room, light candles and read about paranormal and pagan rituals. (I am not saying this caused anything. I am just explaining the mindset I was in.)

It wasn't long before bangs and knocks began and we all brushed it off as new houses settling, but they seemed to come from the floor walls and sometimes even the roof. As time went on, it was not uncommon for there to be the sound of footsteps thundering down the hall even if no one was in the house. It could be heard from the driveway.

As time went on the atmosphere at home got worse. I lived in fear of my stepfather. He would always fight with my mother. I would spend more and more time in my room when other people were home. It would be always cold in my room no matter what the season was. More and more weird things started to happen. I actually thought I was losing my mind.

There would be strange growling noises that always came from just outside whatever room I was in and when I would go and investigate nothing would be there. Outside my bedroom window at night I would hear an almost purring noise but it couldn't be a cat because it would be so loud the cat would have to be the same size of a German Shepherd. The noise would roll in and around the room making it vibrate. I would lay awake, too scared to move each night.

One day after school I was laying on the floor in front of the TV watching cartoons. When the shadow of someone behind me was reflected into the screen, I straightened up a bit because it looked like my stepfather. I hadn't heard him come home. I turned around and there was no one there. I couldn't move, I was so frightened. I just stared into the empty space where I thought someone should be. I finally got the courage to turn back and the silhouette was still there. My breath caught in my throat as I watched the silhouette. I heard a cupboard in the kitchen open and then close. I was still in shock, unable to move, when something heavy smacked me in the back of the head and rolled onto the floor in front of me. It was a glass from the kitchen. I couldn't believe it. I shot up ran out the door and to the centre of town to catch a bus to my grandmother's house.

A few weeks after that incident, I was still staying with my grandmother. My mother was in my grandmother's kitchen in tears to tell me she was leaving my stepfather. I only went back to the house once after that to pack up my things. Things actually felt calmer in there, which was odd, but I was glad to be leaving.

At the time I thought I had lost my mind and didn't know what to make of it all, but now that I am older and wiser I realise that the festering emotions in the home and the dark head space I was in had caused a poltergeist.

Other hauntings by lissy86

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lissy86, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Emma_girl (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-31)
Hi Lissy. Thankyou for giving us your experiences and thanks for the information everyone has posted.

The experiences I had when I was younger have some similarity to yours. I have been incident free for a few years now but have recently started researching in earnest as I want to understand it.

I am interested in the possibility that an abusive home life may have been a factor. My own parents were very strict and believed in physical discipline. Punishment was frequent when I was young and often involved canings or whippings with a belt or electrical cord. Humiliation was a strong punitive method as well.

Some commenters have mentioned that these abusive situations can produce negative energies that can be a factor in the paranormal events that can follow. I am wondering if my parents treatment of me and my fear of them may have contributed to the experiences I had.

I have posted my account of my experiences and it is currently awaiting approval.

I considered that my situation may have been a self generated poltergeist situation, but there were certain aspects of it that did not fit this mould. As such I think that a spirit was probably at work. But could this negative energy that abusive situations generates have in some way drawn the spirit to me or maybe just made it easier to manifest in a more direct way?

I am sorry if my questions are ignorant. I am relatively new to researching these things but I am doing so determinedly as I want to understand what happened to me in the past and how to prevent it from happening again.

Your friend

Emma
AARisTHEbest (3 stories) (56 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-15)
That thing is dangerous. Or at least was. Your step-father could of been a negative energy.
GabrielladeLioncourt (5 stories) (71 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-20)
I couldn't agree more with your explanation! Its the first thing I thought of. I'm glad you got out, cause it had started to get violent! What would have hapenned if you stayed? Good thing we didn't find out.

All the best

Cerberus7 (1 stories) (10 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-12)
That's a very intense story. I think that spirits have a way of confusing our thoughts about what is truly happening on so many levels. I know my parents and I lived at a certain apartment complex most of my early life. As an adolescent I grew up there. From 8 to 19 really, a big chunk of my formative life was spent there. We had a lot of really intense times there as a family. Lots of tangible things manifested there. Footsteps, taps on walls, disappearing items, things running across the bed, a spirits body laying on top of me while I was awake, constant feelings of being watched... Especially in the shower, shadowy figures, angry outbursts from everyone in the house at any given time, and just general emotional distress due to frayed nerves. When we finally left that apartment it was such a relief. Almost all of those things came to an end. At least one person I knew that lived in one of the other apartments there said he had similar things happening in his place as what we experienced. But the craziest part about it is how everyone living in a circumstance like this has to scratch there head and say "did that really happen?" I have really had to struggle with the fact that yes this did happen to me... The disbelief factor comes across strongest in the most real of situations too, and that makes it even more difficult to deal with in our minds... I feel that you know it happened when the glass hit you in the head, there is no other rational possibility... But it's so unreal that anything like that can possibly happen it can keep you really wondering about it for so many years afterwords... Was it a nightmare? Was I crazy? I'm glad you found the courage to talk about it here. I believe it's empowering to relate those kind of incomprehensible occurrences in a place like this because it gives you validation that yes that did happen. You aren't crazy. You told us and guess what... A lot of us have lived through those kind of experiences also. Your story was very intense and I agree with everyone else. I'm glad you made it through. They say if it doesn't kill you it only makes you stronger and I think that holds a lot of truth in it.
lissy86 (4 stories) (10 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-09)
reddysteady - Mum never noticed anything but she was busy finding out her husband was sleeping with a family friend so she wouldn't have noticed if a truck was parked in the living room.

Zetafornow- All I have heard from the step family is that he is miserable.

I din't mention what my step siblings went through because they wouldn't admit if they did
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
I am very sorry you had to experience those years with an abusive step-parent. It sounds like you have come through it very well and are able to reflect on it rationally. I agree with your conclusion that this apparent poltergeist activity was a result of your age and the extreme stress you were under. But... As reddysteady suggests, that may not offer a complete answer, and I wonder if there is some kind of entity at work in these situations that is attracted by the combination of hormones and stress. It seems to me there must be something else at work. It's hard to imagine that level of energy being strictly telekinetic. You don't mention what others experienced. I'd be interested to know what your mom experienced and if that was part of the reason she decided to leave. I'm glad for your sake she made that decision when she did.
beingtrish (1 stories) (13 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
Wow what a creepy experience. So glad you're okay now. And I, too, believe that negative energies can attract bad spirits, etc. Thanks for sharing!

Blessed be.
LindaG (3 stories) (32 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
Wow, Lissy! There was sooo much negative energy around that it almost HAD to happen. You were the right age, and a lot of stress in you can create this phenomena.

I'm so sorry to hear about the abuse you and your mother had to endure. Thank goodness it is over, and you can get on with your lives.

Take care.
Cliney1212 (4 stories) (121 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
I find poltergeists confusing! Are they a spirit (I know the word meane noisy ghost) or is it an outward manifestation of human emotions? I would love someone to explain it in laymans terms I can be a bit slow on the uptake 😆 I'm glad to hear things have settled down for you and your mum Lissy 86... And I hope the poltergeist has stayed with your step father so that he can get a taste of what it's like to be afraid in his own home ❤
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
Hi lissy... That is quite a scary experience you had. I do believe that negative entities will find an "easier opening", if you will, in a negative environment. Although I usually don't wish anybody harm, maybe the best outcome would be if this "negative being" still lived with your ex-stepfather. Have you ever heard?

Thanks, zeta.
reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
Yikes! What a creepy account. It sounds very much like "stereotypical" poltergeist events - or, at least, the 'scientific' explanation - teenager + stress + a lot of raging emotions + triggers + new environs = Poltergeist activity! 😲

Have you ever asked your Mother if the activity calmed down after you left?

Thank you for sharing your experience; I'm deeply sorry for the troubled environment to which you were subjected, and grateful that you found relief in moving with your Grandmother 😊
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
Good thing you were able to get out of there and stay with your Grandmother. Otherwise, things could have escalated even more. I am really glad that you don't have to live in that kind of negative atmosphere anymore. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences.
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
Oh my goodness! That's so scary! Why do they do that?!

I'm so sorry you had to live such a sad life when you were younger. Your age and surcumstances was perfect for a negative energy to attach.

Glad you're ok now

Shlain
Rozo (3 stories) (108 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
Wow! Lissy86, this is a creepy account of what happened! Just picturing you sitting there with this presence watching and waiting tpo do something is unsettling to say the very least... And the fact that it hurled a glass into your head would have made me change continents!
I am glad that all of that is behind you now! Also, I do believe that Bad energy your stepfather had attached to him made it that much easier for this pest to gain power!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: