You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Treasure

Real Ghost Stories

The Treasure

 

I posted a story recently. Here is a second experience I had when I was young. It was in 1966. I remember it quite well because it was during the harvest of the sugar cane in Mauritius in November.

I had decided that year to go to the cemetery on the 1st November in order to clean some family tombstones and put some flowers. I didn't like doing that, but I thought it was a moral duty to do it, at least then.

So I proceeded to the cemetery and there were quite a lot of people on that day. I did what I came for to do and left about an hour later. While leaving, I noticed some beautiful rose plants which had grown by a tombstone. The roses were a deep red and so beautiful. I decided to uproot one of the plants in order to plant it at home. As I reached home, I found a place near my bedroom window and put it in the soil. The roses were beautiful.

Everything went well until I went to sleep. I started to dream that I was going to some remote place in Mauritius and the itinerary was being "given" to me by a voice which I could not really hear but would lead me where to go. I had to take a long main road, then turn into a dirt road in a sugar cane field, then proceed for about a kilometer, then turn at a cross road, walk until I see a rose plant, get into a wood, walk pass a banyan tree, turn again into another sugar cane dirt road with canes making like a tunnel to finally arrive by a huge rock where a treasure was hidden.

I woke up in the morning with this vivid dream in mind. It was weird because I usually never remember my dreams. I kept making the same dream 6 days continuously. I decided to finally go to the place my dream had lead me. It was a Sunday afternoon and I went alone. I was surprised to notice that all the places I had seen in my dream were real.

I found the road, the dirt paths, the rose plants, the banyan tree, the sugar cane tunnel and finally the big rock. The only difference being there was a very old lady seated on that rock. She was really scary, very old but she seemed alert. I was paralyzed of fear and did not know what to say. She looked at me and with her finger indicated me to come closer. I did, a few steps. She kept indicating me with her finger to come closer. I was so uncomfortable, I wanted to puke. I moved again 2 steps. I was now at about 6 feet from her, she indicated me again to come closer. I then could not hold it anymore. Panic took over me and I ran as fast as I could. I don't remember which lane I took. I just remember running. I could hear like a horse running behind me but there was nothing. I ran through sugar cane fields and hurt myself with branches, rocks and small ditches. I reached home a few hours later with bruises, cuts and a very sore ankle. I had hurt it and continued to run on it with fear. I had to go to the hospital afterwards. I don't know if it was fear or the running but my hemorrhoids had come out and it took a few weeks to heal. The dreams continued and were nightmares. The woman I had seen would torment me in my dreams.

I understood that the rose plant I had brought home was "responsible" of these dreams. I soon uprooted it and went back to the cemetery to put it back where it was. However, with fear, I did not check near which tombstone it had been growing. I had to go and see a priest to be prayed for and be "set free" from these dreams.

When I spoke of this event to my family and friends, I was told that I would have surely got a treasure but someone close to me or from my family would have died and every year at the same period, there would have been death in the family.

I tried to go back to that place with two other friends a good month later but I never found my way. We searched for hours but could not find the first dirt road, nor the rose plant, the banyan tree and cane tunnel.

It remained a mystery and fortunately, I never dreamt of anything similar afterwards.

Other hauntings by Cafelelion

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Cafelelion, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ghost_seeker (3 stories) (14 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-18)
This sounds similar to what my mother experienced. She too uprooted a tree and kept it near her when she was little. A bright Native American woman visited her though in the night. The next morning my mom took it back to the place she found it. Good story, thank you for sharing!
Jesus_soldier (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-11)
Cafelelion: Man, I would like to see what she looked like. I can picture it in my head a little. I'm suprised you walked up to her. I would've said, "I'm sorry, I mean no disrespect, but I don't know you like that lady". This whole experience had to be very intense. I love that type of stuff. This was a very cool story. Thank you again for sharing.

JS aka Brandon 😊
Cafelelion (12 stories) (30 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-11)
Hi Jesus soldier,

I was too afraid to ask her anything. Her appearance was very scary and I did not know what her intentions would be. She had typical witch look. Thinking of her make shiver.
Jesus_soldier (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
Jav: Don't get me started on that category. The same lines are used on every story, "Don't ever use Ouija boards again" or "I'm glad you don't use Ouija boards anymore". I still like some of stories though.

Don't worry Jav, your ball rolling skills are too awesome to hate on 😆.

JS aka Brandon 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
Cafelelion,
Thank you for the explanation. And I do understand.

Jav

[at] JS,
I just get done having a rant about people feeling they simply MUST stop on every Ouija Board story to tell the poster how wrong it is to use one of those things. Then I come back here to find I may have been the one who started the ball rolling on this string of warnings! 😲
What a world, huh?

Jav 😆
Jesus_soldier (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
This story has great narration. I won't say anything about the roses, because I see you've been told enough. I do want to say something about your little encounter with the old lady. Why didn't you ask her to speak? I'm curious what she would have said. She probably would have asked you to bring the roses back, because I noticed your nightmares came after you ran off. I could picture her saying, "Hm, plan B". I'm glad you got the hint. Thank you for sharing.

JS aka Brandon
sara77 (1 stories) (40 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
Another excelent submission Cafelelion 😊

This one is going straight into my favorites ❤

More please Sir, and thankyou for sharing.
sonri (2 stories) (91 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
Don't take a thing. Nothing, from a cemetery unless it is offered. I like graveyards, may seem odd, but I'll wave at them as I drive by. The people there may miss that, a simple courteous wave, a smile, to them may be like saying, 'You're not forgotten'.
Recently, a grave, I came across, struck me. All over it were little figurines; angels, animals. Someone was so very loved, and is still so remembered. There were literally hundreds of these tiny bric-a-brac statues, perhaps one for every visit; I hope no one ever feels the temptation to take one.
I'd like to plant a rose bush, or gardenia, for my grandparents but no permanent plants are allowed. I understand, though, I guess, rose bushes can get out of hand, if no one is left to tend them. Mine are out of hand, right now, actually; I always seem to underprune.
Cafelelion (12 stories) (30 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
Hi reddy steady and Javelina. Sorry for the hemorrhoids. It was not meant to bring explicit details in the story but to say what fear and panic can do. I never had these problems only when I experienced this scary event. Try imagine running until your hemorrhoids come out, it gives you an idea of the situation.
reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
Awesome narration, thanks for all the -ahem-explicit-ahem details. You're a very good story teller, and keep this audience member quite intrigued. I'm going to follow the heard, though, and say it was preeeettty sillybananas to dig up that rose bush, so I can't feel too bad for your hemorrhoids, or the nightmares 😆 Indeed a valuable lesson learned - and one to teach!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
Cafelelion,
Ah yes. The Day of the Dead or Dia de los Muertos, All Saints Day, All Souls Day, etc.
The same custom applies here as well. People take their families out to the cemeteries where their loved ones are buried. They spend the entire day there. Cleaning the tombstones, grooming the area surrounding it, planting Marigolds amd lighting candles. They picnic there. Bringing gifts for the dead, toys for the children, tequilla for the adults, they celebrate the lives of those who have passed on.
It was a stupid move taking that rose bush. Especially on that day. Even at the age you were when this occurred, you should have known better. That is why the lessons you learned as a younger man seemed always to be so intense. It seems you were pretty hard headed.
Nevertheless, it was a nice narration. But I think we can all do without hearing about the hemorrhoid issue.

Jav
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-09)
Cafelelion - My mom and her siblings take turns planting rose bushes on their parents' and sister's graves and without fail, someone always digs at least one of them up. Every year this happens. It's frustrating, but they don't give up.

Now I'll wonder...

I can't decide whether or not to say I enjoyed this story because this actually was an awful story, all the way around. Valuable lesson learned, though.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: