You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghost

 

I'm 33 years old, and all through my life I have been haunted by an event which took place in my childhood. More so by the fact that I do not believe in ghosts; however, this leaves me conflicted as to what I saw.

When I was 10 I lived in South East London on a council estate. My cousin had come to stay overnight, and due to lack of space, he had to sleep at the bottom of my bed. I still can't work out which was worse, the smell of his feet or being randomly kicked in the groin.

I was living on a council estate in Peckham at the time. A 3 bedroom house in a rough area.

That night I woke up and saw a glowing figure in the hallway. It was facing my sister's bedroom, just staring in. I could see it had something in its hand. If I had to describe the item, I would have to say it was a type of scroll.

One of the first things I noticed was that it was hovering off of the ground. I lay watching it for a while, just floating in the hallway. Although scared, I looked down at my cousin and tried to wake him by shoving him with my foot. Subsequently, my shoves turned to kicks in the back, but all he did was groan. He was never an easy person to wake up.

I can't explain the level of terror I felt when I looked back to the hallway and saw the ghost facing my room, staring straight at me. I was so scared I couldn't even call out.

It was clearly a man, but its clothes were not from any recent era. I think the scariest part was the fact the figure had no emotion on its face.

Suddenly it started moving into my room towards me. Instinctively I dove under the covers; I dared not look out in case it was next to me.

Even when morning came and everyone started to get up and go to the kitchen for breakfast, I still remained in bed. When I did follow, I told everyone what I had saw; however, they did not believe me.

As the years have gone by, I have never forgotten that night and what I saw. There has been many a time where I have doubted myself and wondered if it had been a dream.

The two things that convince me that the experience was real were that from the point of waking and seeing the ghost, to heading into the kitchen at breakfast time, I did not fall asleep.

The second part that convinces me is that when you do have a nightmare, and you reach that truly terrifying part, that is usually when you wake up.

I'm not a great believer in an afterlife, and I will usually try and seek alternate theories to explain things, but I have not been able to explain what I saw as a child.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sky4net, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
I have also been haunted by an experience I had as a young child which I have posted here under the title Three Strange Silhouettes Or Shadow People if you're interested. I can totally relate to the terror you felt. I couldn't call out and was in a crib at the time with my grandma asleep in a bed next to the crib, so I couldn't try to nudge her awake. I think I would have been too scared to try anyway. The thing that convinces me it was real and not a dream was the fact I remember it so vividly all these years later, just like you. I've had some bizarre, disturbing dreams that have stayed with me, but this experience was so visceral compared to a dream. I still remember I could taste the fear and feel the tension in my muscles. It was no dream.
Maybe this spirit or spectre or whatever was just curious and looking around. Maybe it was lonely and that's why it came toward you as you were the only one awake.
sonri (2 stories) (91 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
See an aparition floating toward you through an open door, and bam! A habit of sleeping with the door closed is born. I never sleep with the door open anymore.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
You said you didn't the which was worse whether it was the smell of your cousin's feet or the kick in the groin. Whether that made you awake at that time of the night? It may be some kind of paranormal presence. Its a nice narration. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

SDS
herohead (2 stories) (61 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
It was the noxious gas from the smelly feet that made you see things:-)

No really, I would be so scared, and I can only imagine the terror you must have felt, since it has stayed with you all these years.

A good story I liked it a lot.

Hero
sky4net (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
I'm not too sure, earlier in the day my cousin, sister and brother had done a ouiji board in the bathroom. I had not taken part as I do not believe ouiji boards actually work. Also it was a board they made them selves on card. They did say whilst they were doing the board there was movement on the glass. I can remember them running out of the bathroom screaming. But like I said, I don't believe they work and would not have put it past one of them moving the glass.
HappySpirit (187 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-09)
Do you think the sighting of the apparition had anything to do with your cousin's presence? Your cousin could have brought it with him, especially if you never saw the apparition or anything like it again. (Between the smelly feet and the scary ghost, doesn't sound like a pleasant night!)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: