You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: News From The Clairvoyant

Real Ghost Stories

News From The Clairvoyant

 

A little over ten years ago I lived in a maisonette with my ex-girlfriend (a visual artist), and her pet cat. My ex never talked about the supernatural back then. Before she met me, she had an experience late one night, while cycling over a bridge, that terrified her. So, knowing that, I rarely brought it up in conversation around her.

The incident that my story relates to took place one Sunday afternoon while I was seated with my ex on the lounge room sofa. While she sat beside me, preoccupied with her sketching (back then she was into drawing and painting), I stared at the television screen deep in thought. The television was not on, so I was just staring at the blank screen in one of my reflective moods.

Before long, I detected a slow, deliberate movement just beneath the television. The glass door to the cabinet swung open all by itself. I watched with amazement as it moved back as far as it could go in complete silence. My first thought was not for myself, but my ex. I knew that if she had seen it she would've screamed. Luckily, for her, she hadn't seen it. She was still busy sketching in her large sketchbook. I breathed a sigh of relief and remained still on the sofa while my mind ticked over trying to solve the occurrence in a rational way.

How did the glass door to the cabinet just swing slowly open like that?

I knew that the door had a magnetic lock, which made an audible click whenever the cabinet door came into contact with it. There was also an audible click when the door was released, but on this occasion there was complete silence. I heard no click and there was a slow, deliberate movement when it opened. I looked over my shoulder and casually glanced at the windows, while pretending to look outside so as not to disturb my ex. The windows were shut. There was no draught, no breeze, nothing.

I then stood up and slowly made my way over to the cabinet. I pretended to pick out a video, while busy looking for her pet cat. I wanted to make sure that she was not behind the television. She wasn't. She wasn't even in the room.

I walked back to the sofa and sat back down quietly. My mind working in overdrive about what I'd just seen...

A week later I'd almost completely forgotten about the incident when I was on the phone to my mother. We had our usual catchup to see how the family were, and so on. I lived in a different part of the world, and rarely went back to see them, so most of the news updates I received about my family was through her.

She told me that she'd been to a clairvoyant recently, somebody who she liked to visit sometimes. The clairvoyant told her that my grandfather had paid a visit to see me recently.

My grandfather died in 1994.

My heart began to pound suddenly as I recalled the incident just that week before.

Was it him who caught my attention by opening the glass door, taking care not to disturb my ex? Making sure that it was just me that noticed?

All rational explanations seemed to vanish into thin air as my mother's news from the clairvoyant sunk in.

Other hauntings by Unexplained

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Unexplained, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-13)
Thanks again for all your feedback. That's very kind!

I agree, 'MizMiMi02', with your view on short stories. 😊

In answer to your question, 'geetha50', I remember telling my mother straight off after she told me about her visit to the clairvoyant. It was her telling me about what the clairvoyant said about my grandfather's visit, that refreshed my memory about the incident the week before.

Due to its subtlety, I would have forgotten about it otherwise or simply dismissed it. What my mother said to me over the phone, tipped the balance of that incident in favour of me believing it to be paranormal. I can dismiss situations in a rational way up to a point, after that it becomes a?.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-13)
I think that people are often decide not to post their story, for fear that it isn't scary enough, long enough etc. Sometimes that best stories are the short and sweet ones that make you think, "wow, that's a great one!" I loved the story, and I agree with the others that it's awesome your grandfather came to visit.:)
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-13)
Like the others, great story. It must have been a shocker to hear your mother say that to you. Did you tell your mother what happened to you? Also, did your ex ever experience anything in that house?
ivory (9 stories) (77 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-12)
I'll be waiting for her story as well. I just ask that question because sometimes visiting 'unseens' leave some odors behind. Its good that nothing paranormal ever happened again
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-12)
Hi ivory, thanks for your feedback.

I don't recall smelling anything out of the ordinary and there were no other incidents that followed while I lived there for the rest of the time.

I would love to get my ex to write about her paranormal experience before she met me however and see if she is willing to post it on here. Although we don't keep in regular contact, we remained friends following our separation. 😊
ivory (9 stories) (77 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-12)
cool experience. Out of curiosity, do you smell anything odd during or after your experience?
Jesus_soldier (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-12)
This was a good story. I love how your first thought was for your ex-girlfriend, when you saw the door opening. I also love the little stuff you did while investigating. That was really cool. The whole story is cool. Thank you for sharing.

JS aka Brandon 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-11)
Unexplained - definitely paranormal enough 😊 Although you might get someone who's skeptical enough to question it, I think most will find it definitely fits.
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-11)
Thanks to you all for the kind feedback. Much appreciated.

Although the experience was real and witnessed by me firsthand during the time I mentioned, I wasn't sure if it was paranormal enough for me to consider it for publication as a 'ghost story'. 😊
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-11)
Nice experience and thanks for sharing. Your grandpa is quite fond of you and wanted to say hello to you by dragging your attention without disturbing your ex. Great.

Regards,

SDS
LindaG (3 stories) (32 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-11)
Good story! Sounds like your grandfather wanted to say hi. It's good to know he still cares for you 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
Unexplained - what a great story! I never dreamed that is how your story was going to turn out 😆 I think it's awesome, by the way, that your grandfather was able to get your attention in a way that didn't catch your ex-girlfriends's eye and cause her unnecessary stress.

Timing is a wonderful thing 😉

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: