You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Light In The Attic

Real Ghost Stories

The Light In The Attic

 

Like many of you, I grew up in a Victorian-era house which, like many of you, came with it's own resident spirit. My father, a big non-believer, was told about the "lady" who was there when we first moved in. He immediately pooh-poohed it as a bunch of hogwash. I didn't find out about this conversation until I was 14 - when the attic light was on.

It was Christmastime of 1974. My brother had just gotten out of boot camp, and was coming home for the holiday. We were all excited to see him, and hear his stories. My dad had a friend who had just gotten a beautiful mobile home, and my dad asked if he could drive it out to pick up my brother. To show off? I don't know - but I do know he was really happy his boy was coming home.

So, it was my dad, my stepmom, my little brother (he was 12) and I. My sister had to work late that night, so she couldn't go. Anyway, his flight came in at like 10 pm, so we didn't get home until about 11:30 pm. As we pulled up out front, my dad said he'd drop us off, and then return the RV. We all got out and he drove away, saying something about a loaf of bread.

When we got out, my stepmom looked up at the front of the house and saw the attic light on. She thought my sister went up looking for wrapping supplies and forgot to turn it off. I was sent upstairs to tell her to go turn it off.

I went into our room, and it was dark. I thought she was wrapping Christmas gifts, so that surprised me. I gently woke her up, saying "Mom says to go turn off the attic light. You left it on." Then she said something that terrified me: "I never went up there. I was tired when I came home, and I went straight to bed."

I don't think I was breathing as I made my way upstairs, pausing at the attic door to hear footsteps walking around up there. Someone has broken into the house! Man, I took the steps 3 at a time to get downstairs. When I came into the kitchen where my stepmom and brothers were, they later said I was as white as a sheet. No kidding! I could barely get out the words, "She never went up there," and we all looked at each other with true fear.

Now, this is where I was ready to leave the house. But NOOOOOOO, we had to go upstairs and check it out. Great. My brother felt like he could handle it, being a "man" now. So we went up into the upstairs hall, and stood there in the dark listening. We could all hear the footsteps walking around. It sounded like someone in a pair of heels, not flat shoes. The footsteps went across the attic, and then started coming down the stairs. About halfway down those attic stairs, there is a bare light bulb and a chain hanging down. That was the only light up there. Anyway, when the footsteps started coming down the stairs, we could hear someone pull that chain, and the light went off. You could see it under the door to the attic. Then the footsteps STOPPED. We waited and waited, and no sound. I looked to my right, and saw older brother holding my dad's double-barrel shotgun that he kept under the bed for "emergencies." Well, I'd say someone walking around in your attic is an emergency! We stood there in the dark, terrified. All of a sudden, my dad comes in the house and is like "Where is everybody?" He comes upstairs, turning on lights the whole way, and sees us standing there, with our eyes so big it hurt when he turned on the light. He flipped when he saw my brother standing there with the shotgun,

I'll tell ya. That's when I noticed he was still holding that loaf of bread he picked up at the store on his way home. He thrust the bread at me, snatched the attic door open, and went up. My dad is 6'4", was raised in an orphanage, and isn't afraid of anything. We heard him up there walking around, and we were half expecting him to find someone up there. Well, he came down, and he was exasperated with us. There's nobody up there!" he said, looking at us all as if we had lost our minds.

I never experienced an attic incident after that, but that house was soooooo haunted.

I'll post another story soon. Thank you for reading, and for your feedback!

Oh, and I put the bread away.

Other hauntings by LindaG

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maryland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LindaG, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Scythe (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-28)
At Javelina
When I signed up I thought you had to be an adult. I've corrected it now.
LindaG (3 stories) (32 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-13)
Rook - You're right, lol! It sounds kind of cheesy, and I was concerned about telling the story (I have another one from that house). I swear it is true! I guess I'd better do better with the details next story. I was trying to keep it short, but I made it too short!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-13)
[at] Scythe,
Your bio says you are a young adult, no longer a teen. When do you go to University over there?

Jav
Scythe (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-13)
Great story!

My parents want to move to a victorian house in a few years but I will be at university by then (if I get the grades.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-13)
LindaG,

Many thanks for your reply. Now that you have better described the situation I can see why he left the lights out... Had a 'real' person been descending the stairs, having just turned out a light they would be 'blind' while their eyes adjusted to the dark hallway.

But then... The footsteps came down... The light went off and... Everyone stood there, in the dark, waiting for something to happen... That something being you Dad coming home... Not to be mean or sound like I disbelieve your experience (quite the opposite actually) but this sounds like a pause before a big 'scare' in a Haunted House Comedy Movie.

I wish you knew more history concerning the home... It very well could help to ID the women you have mentioned.

Thank you for sharing and for the smile... 😉

Respectfully,

Rook
LindaG (3 stories) (32 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-13)
Hi Rook. We turned off the lights in the hallway downstairs AND the upstairs hall where we were waiting. My brother thought it was a good idea for whoever was up there to enter a dark area when they came down. WHY he was entrusted with our safety has never made sense to me. I wanted to leave the house. My sister was in our room asleep, so she was not in the hallway during this event. My little brother and I were hiding in the corner of the upstairs hallway behind a door leading into a bathroom. I'm sorry that I left out these details. As I said before, the house was a Victorian-era home; don't know how that spirit got there, but there was definitely something there. The family that lived there before us experienced things (this was kept from us kids so we wouldn't freak out). I don't know about families that lived there before that, nor do I know anything about the origional builder/owner, a Mr. Miller. Very sketchy info. But, I was 8 1/2 when we moved in. I didn't really give a crap who lived there before we did. Now I wish I knew more.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-13)
Enjoyed your telling of this 'experience' but may I ask a question. Your brother (with a shotgun) your Stepmother, your younger brother and your sister were all present. You had heard footsteps in the attic and yet when you went to look no one turned on lights along the way?

While possible as a retired military member I feel that your older brother's training, being just out of boot camp, would have had him turning on lights to help him identify any possible targets should there really be someone in the attic... However the only person who turned on any lights was your Dad... Having said that the others have a good point, what is the history of the house?

Respectfully,

Rook
hersweetestdesire (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-12)
Loved the story I was actually holding my breath at moments. Your a great writer and describe things very well. The last sentence gave me a good chuckle. Thanks for sharing!
ivory (9 stories) (77 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-12)
hahaha... No need to be sorry. We just want to read more interesting experience such as yours.
LindaG (3 stories) (32 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-12)
Actually, that is all I know that was told to him; there was a 'lady' spirit in the house, and he hoped it wouldn't scare us kids. Don't know just what the previous owners experienced, but it was probably pretty much what we experienced. They lived in the house for 7 years before we did, that I do know. We lived there for 13 years, and there was always something going on. I'll post my other major story later. Didn't mean to tease you! Sorry! 😕
ivory (9 stories) (77 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-12)
oh a spoiler! I'm totally curious about the history of the house. More infos XD. I wish for a sequel of your experience.
HappySpirit (187 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-12)
Yes indeed! Backstory of the house requested!
Your tale was quite good too!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-11)
LindaG,
Hey, wait a minute! You can't start relating an account like this and then not tell us the story your dad was told about the house when you moved in. Without that information included you could string us along forever...

Jav 😕

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: