You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Is That You, Dad?

Real Ghost Stories

Is That You, Dad?

 

This is just an experience that I want to share with you when I was younger.

Ok, so when I was around five or six years old, my father was sent off to war. I never really saw him much. Mum always told me that he loved me so much and that he was a strong man. However, every night I would see my mother sitting on her bed crying over him when she thought I was asleep. But when my father did come, he always came on my birthday. On the day before my dad was to arrive for my ninth birthday, I saw my mum crying on the sofa. I walked up to her and asked, "Mummy, why are you crying?" She replied, "I'm sorry Mary-Anne, but your father can't come visit this year." "What! Why?" "You could still send him a card!"

After my mother told me to go send a postcard, I went straight off to my room. I don't exactly remember what I wrote in the letter, but I wrote how much I loved him and missed him, and how upset I was when I found out he couldn't visit me this year. After I wrote the letter, I decided to put in some of his favourite flavoured jelly beans. Right after I finished the letter, my mum sent it off.

That night, I was too upset to even care it was my birthday, I just wanted my dad to be here. I remember hearing my name being softly called. Thinking, it was my mum I tiptoed downstairs into the living room and saw my dad sitting in his armchair. I can't remember what he said but it was kind of like this, "Mary-Anne, I want you to know that I love you and your mother so much, I want you to take care of her, Happy Birthday." "I will, Daddy, I promise." I was so happy! "Come see Mummy!" I jumped up and about. He smiled and said "I can't. I am sorry, Baby."

I then remember falling asleep and waking up on the couch the next morning. I ran into my mum's room saying that dad was home. She looked at me and quietly said, "Mary-Anne, you could not have possibly seen your father. I don't know how to say this but, your Dad died from a bombing before you sent that letter. I didn't want to tell you your father died on your birthday." I searched around the house looking for him, but he was gone.

Now as 32 years old, I have 3 kids and a loyal husband. Yesterday, An army officer walked up to my door and handed me a package. It was the letter that I sent my father when I was nine. He never got it. The jelly beans were all crushed and moldy, with the envelope still sealed.

To this day, he will always remain in my heart. I was also thinking back to that night when I saw my Dad. Was it his ghost? Or was it just a dream?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mazza123, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

jpchic225 (1 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-10-22)
I'm sorry mazza123, but I have actually read this story before several years ago. It would be interesting if it actually happened, but it is just a "story". It's unfortunate that people feel the need to post made up stories on here.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+5
12 years ago (2012-08-14)
Mazza,

Hate to be skeptical with such a touching account, but what war was Australia involved in, in 1989? You are 32 now, you were nine in the story, 23 years ago was 1989... Or what war was in 1985-86 when he left? The first Gulf War did not start until 1991; and although Australia sent 700 troops, they suffered no casualties. Are you Iraqi, by chance? Was your father a special forces type that may have been doing covert operations that he and your mother described to you as "war"?

Do you live in your parents' old house? Have you retained your maiden name? How is it the postmaster was able to find you after so many years?

Jelly beans are a sugar/corn syrup based product; the package must have gotten wet and mildewed, or possibly contaminated for it to have mold on it... Sugar doesn't rot...hence, the existence of the Marshmallow Peep.

Please clear some of this up for us, Taylor.

Lou
stephyw2001 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-14)
That's a really touching story. How sad.

Why would it have taken so long for the letter to get back to you though? That should have been returned when you were still a child, I would think at least. How would they have found you all these years later? And I had no idea jelly beans could mold.

I'm sorry you lost your father, and I don't think it was a dream.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-14)
Like the others have said, it was your father that came to visit when you were young. You are extremely lucky as not many people get to experience that. Also, hats off to people like your father for sacrificing their lives for our peace. Thank you for that!

As Rook mentioned, I would also like know how that army office found your place to give the letter back.

My theory is that your father might have had a hand in it some how as a reminder. Was it near his anniversary by any change?
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-14)
Mazza

Your story has brought tears to my eyes. I have no doubt in my mind that it was your Dad coming to say goodbye.

Thankyou for sharing such a touching story 😊
alyza (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-13)
i believe in that father is always a father until his last breath
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-13)
I agree with everyone else, this was indeed your father visiting you. You're an extremely lucky person to have had that one last moment with your father.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-13)
I have absolutley nothing to contribute, other then to please thank your father for my family and myself, for his ultimate sacrifice. There isn't anything I can possible say that's negative about this story, and I hope no one else finds a bone to pick either. My assumption is that because it's what he had always done, he wanted to do it one last time.
hardsalamibear (11 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-13)
that is so sweet! I've heard of ghosts coming back to say goodbye to people they care about before the go to heaven. I'm really sorry about your dad and him dying on your birthday. I love how you got the letter back. I bet he is looking down on you now and he died fighting to defend you. He died a hero! Good luck ❤ p.s, sorry it is so long
macdouk (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-13)
Amazing Story! This brought tears to my eyes.

Just like Rook I too am wondering if the officer mentioned how he came accross the letter or how he found you?

Thanks for sharing
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-13)
Instant Favorite. Without a doubt that was your Father saying goodbye.

Did the Officer say where/how he came across that letter, or how he located you? Just curious as that was an unusual gesture on his part.

Respectfully,

Rook
Cliney1212 (4 stories) (121 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-12)
By the way... Just added your story to my favourites... Thanks again for sharing ❤
herohead (2 stories) (61 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-12)
What a post, I have tears in my eyes, I feel certain that it was your dad.
It is really a sad story, but kind of sweet at the same time,
Thank you for posting it here.

Hero
hersweetestdesire (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-12)
I'm so sorry you lost your dad so young. I think he must have come to give you one last goodbye. Your story touched my heart and made me cry. Thank you for sharing.
Cliney1212 (4 stories) (121 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-12)
Your story made me cry... I think it was your Dad I'm not sure a dream would sit so vividly in your mind for over 20 years I know we can remember dreams for many years but over time it would have lost its impact... But a visit like yours will never cease to amaze you... What a fantastic story... I wonder if there is a forum made up stories about the lost heroes of war like your Dad and how they have come back to tell their loved ones how much they meant?
Thanks for sharing:)
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-12)
Yes it was your Dad, they can do that from spirit and in a way that presents him the way he was, which I presume was in physical form? Such a touching story, take comfort knowing you'll see him again one day and thank you for sharing.
Marypatricia (2 stories) (19 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-12)
I think that your dad was there in spirit telling you goodbye for the last time. This is a very touching story. Your dad has to be always with you. Thanks for sharing:)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: