You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Turn Off The Television

Real Ghost Stories

Turn Off The Television

 

A few key points before I begin. The TV in my room doesn't have a remote so to shut it off and change the volume etc. You have to do it manually at the TV, and the power button requires a lot of pressure to respond.

With it being summer I don't really have a balanced sleeping schedule, so I stay up until all hours of the night doing whatever. I was watching a movie on my computer, and the television was still on. I was having trouble paying attention to the movie with the television on, so instead of getting up to turn off the TV I simply turned off the cable box with the cable remote, leaving the TV with a blank blue screen. It may have been 5 or 10 minutes later when I heard a click and the TV had shut off, and I heard footsteps walking out of my room. It took a moment to realize what had happened, and for a moment I thought we had power failure, until I realized that my light had never shut off, and my computer informs me when my computer is disconnected from the power supply, which it never did.

I paused the movie and got up to press the power button on the TV to see if it had come unplugged, or had broke. It turned on immediately, and the plug was fine. A few moments later I heard whispering outside my door thinking it was my parents I went out there, and they were both fast asleep. As I turned to go back into my room I heard "Turn that TV off".

This isn't the first encounter, but pretty much the only one worth telling, and I have a feeling its my grandmother, whom I've never met. I visit her grave and ask her to stop by, and she has taken me up on the offer several times. I know its short and pretty uneventful, but I hope you enjoyed.

Thanks for reading!

Also, is it normal for a spirit to be "stubborn". As in they would only communicate when they want to?

Thanks again!

Other hauntings by CronishaxGurl

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CronishaxGurl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

scary567 (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-29)
I know it sounds silly, but maybe your grandmother wants to tell you something because you've never met her if it happens next time don't be afraid just listen! 😊
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-25)
JAVELINA- Almost forgot... I know my experiences were real, so I believe in them, that they happened. So, I believe the others recounted here, as well.

It's the STORIES, the human drama in the face of the Unknown. That doesn't change simply because I've an explanation for their origins. These occurrences are still a mystery to me, still outside the realm of my everyday life.
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-25)
JAVELINA- To answer the last question first, the experiences I had are beyond the normal realm; thus, I felt them worth sharing.

I had to respond to Louslips with an apology, and I believe you are owed one, as well. When I said that their views were "of no consequence", I was referring to the fact that they cannot change my faith, that nothing can.

As Penny said, sometimes, I think I'm explaining myself, but I'm not. When I went back and re-read what I'd said, I could see the error, and the offense. Please accept my apology.

It has never been my intent to portray anyone as ignorant or unlettered, for even if one is lacking in knowledge, it's not an indictment, unless they refuse to learn.

As I said, my initial statement with this story was by way of a warning, just as I would warn someone I believed was about to drink poison unwittingly; it was not meant to demean.

I had not even meant to get into a discussion of religion, not here, anyway...however, if asked a question, I am bound by custom and temperament to answer it, as best I can. Several questions were asked of me, and I answered them.

Still, I understand your upset, particularly when there are so-called "Christians" who seem to make it their business to diminish others in the name of the Lord.

Such people make me sick, and I try not to seem like one of them. Indeed, I am commanded not to be like them.

Like you, I enjoy ghost stories-that's why I'm here, to share my experiences, and to enjoy yours.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-24)
Are you confused yet? I am not upset by what you believe to be the truth as far as your views about spirits/ghosts are concerned. However, I don't understand how you can post your experiences on a ghost story site for 'True Ghost Stories' and say you don't believe in ghosts. And I doubt I ever will. It isn't a question of faith, from my perspective, it is a question of truth. I don't understand how you can reconcile the two and still hold to your guns.

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-24)
And just to be clear here, I was already upset with you before I made my comments yesterday. I held that in as long as I could. But you have chosen to say some very insulting things about people who don't hold to a faith. You have a way of making it sound as if you think they are ignorant and uneducated. I'm sorry, but that's how it looks on my end. Because of that attitude I find it very hard to take any of your other statements, concerning faith of any kind, seriously.

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-24)
Alan,
I was willing to keep my own counsel on the issue of faith until you made the comment the other day condemning any opposing opinions from the faithless as being "of no consequence". That was a very condescending statement to make, and then to repeat it moments later, as if waving the flies away, was quite insulting. Don't misunderstand me Alan, I do keep the faith. Growing up back then, and I know you must have been told this as well, I was of the opinion that other peoples religion and politics were none of my business. I have stuck with that opinion, as it concerns others religion or faith, and though I can't say the same about politics, I still hold to the idea that you don't use either of those as an excuse to ridicule or show disrespect to anyone. The faithless as well. It was the height of rudeness to even bring it up in conversation. It was drummed into us as children. The choices others made with their lives was none of our affair. That was law in our house, and it still is in mine. I get upset when I hear anyone being lectured to about their faith, and doubly so when it is a person who has none. Saying they are of no consequence merely because they don't hold to your way of thinking?
Now do you understand why I got upset?

Jav
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-24)
Aland,
I do not doubt your own such experience... It is my belief that by labeling all spirit activity as demonic, you lessen the severity of those cases that actually require intervention from the Church. An Irish exorcist by the name of Canon William Lendrum, whose cases of demonic oppression were documented in the book "Dark Sacrament" once said "It is a mistake to believe that evil spirits and demons do not exist, and equally so to see demons under every bed." He is of the belief that one must be knowledgeable in distinguishing the difference between the preternatural and common spirit activity- when approaching a case... Much time is spent in determining whether or not an exorcism is needed, where evil spirit is indeed oppressing the subject. He admits that most times that is not the case...but, these cases do come up. In Ireland, when such a case is obvious, he was the authority and much sought after.

Of course, you are entitled to your own belief.
I just find it odd, how so many deeply rooted in the faith believe as you do- yet, a leading authority who answers to the Vatican has a more common sense approach. Not to mention, if every report of spirit activity was labeled as such, men like Canon Lendrum would find no rest, with his services put to waste in situations that lack obvious symptoms of preternatural activity.
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-08-24)
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-24)
PJOD- I've had experience with demonic oppression, and that is why I warn people about such things.

Again, I know you don't believe as I do, but this IS what I believe; my study of the Scriptures, discipling, and spiritual insight have led me to this conclusion.

Perhaps this link will make it clearer than I can...

Http://www.doesgodexist.org/MayJun11/Christian_View_Spirits-Ghosts-Demons.html
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-24)
Aland,
I just don't see how one can confuse a case involving the preternatural vs a typical haunting. To label all spirit activity as demonic- don't you see that you do a disservice to those who actually need deliverance from demonic oppression? I can't help but think of the story "the boy who cried wolf" - when a real wolf does show up, no one takes the boy serious.
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-24)
LOUSLIPS- My point exactly. It was never my intent to "make people see things my way"; you, as a believer, understand that.

People are free to take or leave anything I say, but it's my job to present what I believe. I know Christians who can knock folks down with a Bible at fifty paces, and I've no use for them, either.

Thanks.
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-24)
JAVELINA- I never said the stories don't count; they are simply events in my life, that I posted at a site for such events.

The fact that I believe differently about the origins of these entities than at the time the stories took place in no way alters the veracity or the content of the stories-how can it?

ONE- These things DID happen.
TWO- These things are outside the realm of
ordinary experience.
THREE-I recounted these experiences truthfully,
as per my best recollection, occasionally
conferring with Dave, who was there for
most of these events.

That's the sum total... I don't understand why the fact that we differ on this one issue should cause such a turmoil.

As far as I know, there is nothing in the site guidelines that defines what a "ghost" is; by inferrence, it's left up to ine interpretation of each author and/or reader. I've given my reasons for expressing my view, and even have it posted in my profile.

I have enjoyed your comments on my stories, and am saddened that you feel as you do.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-08-24)
Its fine, Alan. We all have different ways of thinking, even when we share similar beliefs. It is just very confusing to me. I have had many paranormal experiences, as have yourself; and I have definitely encountered a demonic force in my lifetime... Which I have not shared on this site. Having experienced this, and my other experiences, it is very clear to me that all of these energies are not the same. I live with spiritual activity pretty much on a daily basis, but by my definition have had only one encounter (which lasted for some time), that was truly a demonic force. This experience has taught me the difference... And believe me, a visit from Aunt Betty's ghost, it is not.
I presume you would assess that my regular experiences are just from lesser demons or are some compilation by a demonic force to eventually wear me down... But if that is the case, it is so weak I would consider it negligible. I go to church, I pray to God, and I live my life in his Word... And I see ghosts who do not hurt me.

Lou
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-24)
LOUSLIPS- On re-reading a previous answer to you, I see how you may have reached your erroneous conclusion, that I count myself "better" than some.

When I said, "the faithful", I meant simply those who hold Christ as Lord and Saviour. The "of no consequence" statement is a personal one, as in my faith is not shaken by the opinions of others.

For that lack of clarity, my apologies.
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-08-24)
JAVELINA- If I truly believe what I believe (and you have acknowleged in the past that I do), then why would I not warn someone against something that I truly believed was dangerous?

Obviously, most here do not believe as I do; fine, I get that. However, how hypocritical of me would it be to suddenly say, 4-X, "It was your Aunt Martha you saw? How WONDERFUL!" after I've said that I believed something else?

I cannot make anyone believe as I do, nor is it my calling to do so.

Perhaps you feel that I should've said nothing, rather than warn the author; I've attempted to explain that, that this is not an opinion, but a sincere belief. Thus, it would've been wrong to say nothing.

I do not think myself better or superior to others, saved or unsaved-I didn't have the capacity to save myself, nor am I without sin, so what would I have to crow about?

All I have done in this forum is to recount events in my life that are germane to this site, and (occasionally) express my belief as to the mechanics of these events, the same as everyone else here. People have asked me why I've reached these conclusions, and I've explained myself, as best as possible.

Had I suddenly expressed something different, even a view more in line with the general concensus, how many times would the cry of "HYPOCRITE!" have arisen?
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-23)
But they're cousins
Identical cousins in every way
One pair of matching bookends
Different as night and day...

Javy Duke
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-23)
Ah, but you heathen peasants do amuse me so...

All alan, all the time
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-23)
Alan,
Your capacity for foolishness is unmatched. You don't believe in them, even when it is a relative that has passed on? You have the nerve to say that to people when at the same time you are penning yet another load of hogswollop to pass off as coming from a time you had been backsliding so it doesn't count?
Alandhpoeswell, you remind me of Scbsd. You want what you want, and damn the torpedos because you will get what you demand is yours, no matter who you have to knock down in the process.
I for one, will never read another one of your stories, not after this.
Christian charity my ass.

Jav 😠
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-08-23)
ZETAFORNOW- As I've said before, I find the subject interesting, regardless.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-22)
I do think it was your grandma and regardless if "old" people like to watch tv or not, most people do not like tv's left on all night... So I think your grams was just trying to get a little rest. Your experience was great but instead of the title "Turn off the Television", I wish it would have been titled "Turn off the non-believers of paranormal and ghosts". I must say, it never ceases to amaze me at how a posters stories can turn into something else. I have had so many visits from my deceased relatives and loved ones, including my parents. They are blessings to me and filled with love and tenderness. None of these would I describe as being demonic in nature. So this poster here does not believe all paranormal activity has to be from satan or a form of him/her. Not to say that some are not. Anyway, I know this site is not about religion and we are all supposed to respect eachothers personal preference when it comes to it but just one question for alandhopewell: if you do not advise communication with spirits because they are often demonic in nature, what brings you to this site? Just saying.

Thanks for sharing cronishaxgurl and remember to shut your tv off at night! 😁
Zeta.
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-22)
LOUSLIPS- You will note, I make no conclusions in the stories, but simply recount what happened in each instance. Some might feel the need to interject in each account, "Well, I thought that, this is what I think now", but to me, that detracts from the main purpose of this site, THE TELLING OF A GOOD STORY.

I enjoy the stories I read here, even though I probably disagree as to their origins. As I said in my previous post, I would, if I thought it needful, inject my beliefs into a discussion. Otherwise, I'm just another traveler, drawing close to the campfire.

As to my stories, they are about done, as this site deals with ghosts, and naught else. I thank all of you for your stories, your kind attention, and your candid opinions.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-22)
Alan,
I do recall you stating that you were not close to God when these occurrences took place in your life, but you have been registered on this site for less than 18 months and have not included any conclusions based on your faith in any of the stories. As I said, I commend you on reporting these incidents without injecting your beliefs, it is truly the most objective approach... But as committed as you are to your faith, how were you able to keep your conclusions on the events separate from the stories?
If you believe the Word is literally the words of God as spoken to those who recorded them, then your assessment is an interpretation... Because there is no passage that outright states all spirits are demons. Although I do believe in the forces that twist men to become evil, my God created everything in my world... And it is not much of a stretch to believe that the ultimate supernatural being would be tolerant of, if not embrace the supernatural.

Lou
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
As I've explained before, I was not actively pursuing my faith at the time of these events; I was backslidden. I believed that most such occurrences were either "recordings" on the atmosphere itself, or (perhaps) wandering spirits.

My statement seems abrupt, but there's truth in it-those who do not believe, cannot believe. This is not "my interprertation" (I have no private interpretation), but what the Scriptures say.

Much of the Scriptures' truth is not delineated in one line, 4-X, "thou shalt not commit adultery", but gleaned through a reading of the Word, in toto, in context, and with a believer's heart... Believers are given insight by the Holy Spirit.

None of what I said was meant to insult or demean anyone, but, without that relationship with the Saviour, much of the Word will not make sense.

I know what I know; again, not meant as an insult, but a statement of truth.

Also, the fact that I see such phenomena as demonic does not diminish my interest. However, as a Christian, I feel an obligation to warn someone that I believe might be treading on dangerous ground, spiritually. I'm not going to shake someone by the collar, yelling into their ear, "You MUST believe me!", but I will at least offer Truth, out of love.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-20)
"to those who do not believe, whatever they might say is of no consequence." To whom exactly, is it of no consequence? You? God? The lady down the street? My dermatologist? It seems that you are quite comfy twisting and stretching the words to meet your own needs, but have zip, zero, NADA to back any of it up.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-20)
Alan,

Please explain... 21 stories on a ghost stories website with exactly zero uses of the word demon in all of your experiences. Through all these experiences with demons you never once quoted scripture to banish these foul entities from your presence... I admire you for keeping your beliefs from tainting your account of the events, but wouldn't the Word be the ultimate weapon against them...?...but you never used it, not even once?

Lou
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-20)
"this is what the Scriptures communicate to us"
So it is your own interpretation of what is written.
Lou asks a good question below.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-20)
Excuse me, just how do you define 'the faithful'? People who think as you do and say all spirits are either Angels or Demons?
Judge not lest ye be judged.

It astounds me that you write stories for a ghost site but don't believe in ghosts. I don't get that one at all.

Jav
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-20)
And to what are we to be faithful, Alan? Your way of thinking, or the actual scriptures as they were written?

Lou
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-20)
Nevertheless, this is what the Scriptures communicate to us, the faithful; to those who do not believe, whatever they might say is of no consequence.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-20)
alandhopewell- There is no passage. Thanks that's all I needed to hear.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: