You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: A Shadowed Encounter

Real Ghost Stories

A Shadowed Encounter

 

I'm not entirely sure where to begin as I have no extensive knowledge of the paranormal nor its relative terminology, though I'm hoping to isolate what exactly I experienced many years ago at the age of 6.

Straight off the bat I understand it's a rather young age though what I experienced one autumn night back in 2001 has never quite left me; I don't consider myself a believer and definitely not a follower in the paranormal world, though this one particular incident left me rather confused up to this very day.

The incident occurred at my life-long home in Birmingham, England - I've been here since I was born and still live peacefully today, though soon plan on moving in to an apartment hopefully in the next two/three years or so.

The house was built shortly before I was born and was never a residential site before this line of houses, though the land used to harbor a public house named "The King Charles".

After researching it very briefly I've discovered it used to be home to many disputes and be infamous for a number of incidents involving firearms and narcotics.

The house I occupy with my brother, mother and her boyfriend (who is no longer connected to our family) is structured with one small hallway leading to a tiny kitchen to the left, staircase to the right and a large lounge directly ahead and proceeding up the stairs reveals a large bedroom to the right, a small bedroom ahead and following the upstairs balcony you reach a petite bathroom at the far end.

At the time of the incident, I shared the large bedroom with my mother as we had divided the room into two - my half of the room directly above the rear entrance to the house which is downstairs inside the lounge. Now the rear door is rather important, as this was where the incident took place - though before I continue I feel it's only necessary to add as much detail as possible by stating that our house is directly in the center of this line of homes, overlooking the entire residential site as we sit upon an eight-step high or so hill and our house is the most prominent. There are a total of 13 homes, all labelled accordingly with the last being excepted as "12a".

Now with the night - I still remember it vividly.

I was sitting at the rear door playing with a number of my toys which were scattered amongst the floor around me - I was probably only 4 feet or so from the door itself.

I distinctly remember looking up and seeing my mother and her boyfriend fixated on the television ahead of them as they sat on the couch, far too engrossed in what they were doing. I began feeling rather agitated and uncomfortable, and that's when I remember feeling strange near the door, I felt as though I was beginning to panic and so I began to feel rather upset. I looked up at the panes of glass in the door, seeing nothing but the darkness of the night, though we had a terribly dim spotlight which was on a timer. It would switch on for over 30 seconds, and remain off for a few minutes.

As I looked at the glass of the door, I noticed something strange, the darkness didn't quite sit in place and there seemed to something amiss with how it was placed onto the ground outside. It's like looking at an old photograph and feeling as though there's something not quite right with it, something shouldn't be there. Well as a minor at the age of 6 I was generally intimidated by the dark though didn't treat it as though it was any different to the shadows already in the room.

I remember being rather intrigued and so I shuffled over to the door and stared blankly out into the garden, now, there's some things a child can see and accept with their widely creative mind filled with imagination, though what I saw never made sense to this day.

I saw a shadow, consider it a reflection if you will, of myself, only it was slightly shorter, much chunkier, and oddly enough even though I was kneeling with my body erect and not slouching, it was sitting. The only description I can apply to it was an ape-like shadow. It's appearance was threatening, but not the scariest feature of its appearance. I immediately ran to my mom and said there was a shadow at the door, she brushed me off and I continued to cry and panic, though recently when I asked her of this she told me she thought I was only messing around.

I walked back over to the window and checked if it was still there, and this time it was, though in a different stance. It seemed to be propped up on one knee, placing it's weight onto its right arm and pointing directly at the glass with its left. I felt terrified, though the presence I felt from it wasn't aggression but more like companionship, it seemed friendly.

I'm not sure what I was thinking, though I placed my hand on the glass, and it instantly placed a palm in reflection a mere second or two after me with force - I've never felt my heart stop, but if you've ever had an experience where you feel as though time has frozen or at least slowed down all around you, then you'll have a slight idea of the sensation that overwhelmed by body.

I felt an intense pain ricochet from nerve to nerve instantly shooting through my limbs and I was frozen in place, I didn't know what to do and as much as I tried I couldn't remove my hand from the glass. I sat there for probably another minute as the pain subsided and my body regained motion, in the short while I was unable to move I felt myself grow mentally drained and unaware of what was happening, and when I came to, the shadow had just disappeared.

I have no idea what happened that night, but I'm praying one of you can possibly shed some light on what occurred - I assure you this information was given with utmost honesty and that no moments nor details were exaggerated, I appreciate your time for reading this and sincerely wish you all the best with your future endeavors

- Yours faithfully,

PARAPOWERLESS

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Parapowerless, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-16)
Parapowerless

This was a really intriguing story. I have never heard of anyone else having an encounter such as yours. The fact that you can still vividly remember the expereince and you still think about it shows that it must have really affected you and stuck in your mind all these years.

My initial reaction was that you may have encountered a 'fae' creature, which I think was also suggested by Rook. Your desription of a short and chunky entity made me think of a 'goblin' like creature or a 'gnome' of some sort.

Thanks for sharing such an intersting story, I really enjoyed reading this.

😊
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-16)
[at] PPL... This something I found on the net in regards to some affects from adrenalin rushes...

(:Q: am a 45 year old male in generally good health, with no history of heart or other physical problems. I have been experiencing increasing pain/throbbing in my lower to middle back during highly tense situations (i.e. Sudden traffic stress), especially when the adrenal glands appear to kick in. At first the throbbing was localized across the lower back (at kidney level), but over the last two years its been gradually shooting up the back of my abdomen along what feels like the inside wall of my back. The throbbing can be so intense and debilitating when it first comes on and just about cripples me, and it is as though I can feel every the surge of blood through a large vessel in my back and sometimes up towards my chest (almost feels as though a quart of blood is squeezing through a constricted blood vessel with every pulse of my heart - slight increase in heart rate, but not that much). This usually lasts from 45 seconds to several minutes after the episode depending on how intense the situation. I have seen a cardiologist and done a fundamental treadmill heart test, and I've also had an abdominal ultrasound for an aortic aneurysm, but nothing showed abnormal. I feel like I'm battling a ghost as no doctor I have asked has ever heard of these symptoms. I think it may be endocrinological in nature. Can someone please tell me what this could possibly be, or at least confirm that I am not alone...Help!:)

It may be possible PPL... That during your account as a 6 year old, the rush of adrenalin adversely caused the pain reaction you felt through out your body, probably intensifying the situation and making it more frightening than it otherwise may of been and if this was a one off experience that too would make sense, as I would presume anything paranormal trying to make contact with you wouldn't leave you alone after 1 attempt IMO!
Parapowerless (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-16)
[at] Aussiedaz

That's a very interesting view upon the incident and indeed quite valid, it's certainly different to the comments I've received thus far, but as a child I must agree I was never truly one for being so bizarrely imaginative to such an extent, and being rather mature since the age of 5 I was never one for creating such fantasy, though I must agree it's an interesting thought to consider - that doesn't quite explain the sense of pain I consciously felt and witnessed spread through my body from the filtered contact I had with the... Whatever I saw, I take your opinion and suggestion and believe it's a very valid explanation, even if it doesn't quite cover all the details, it could explain a number of them.
Parapowerless (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-16)
[at] Javelina

Reading your response almost gave me a bizarre sense of fear considering the possibility, I truly value your input.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-16)
In regards to the sensation of time slowing down or seemingly freezing, this could be attributed to a sudden adrenalin rush due to the amount of fear that perhaps you were anticipating? I once was in a car accident and had a head on collision into a tree at around 40 to 50 mph and about 15 feet before the collision time slowed down to almost a halt... Although I felt like it was paranormal and their may of been some intervention from a guardian as I wasn't wearing a seat belt and this period of time that almost froze was enough for me to embrace the force... I do believe now that the logical explanation could be the adrenalin, as I have since learned others have experienced the same thing... Perhaps you was frighten that much, it was enough in your account to do the same to you?... Interesting about seeing your own reflection changing shape, I do believe our spiritual consciousness can transform itself to a degree x the imagination of the mind and perhaps being as young as you was, you consciously was observing it running a muck so to speak... Seeing it two fold? I don't feel it was a separate entity although I can't be certain, I feel as I said... It was more of a reflection of mind and a rush of adrenalin? Never the less interesting account and I thought I would offer my 2 cent for you to consider!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-16)
Parapowerless,

The thinking behind the idea that it may have been an alien was the part of your experience that describes what occurred when you put your palm to the glass. The feeing of pain that travelled through your nerve endings, the paralysis, culminating in the sense of having been drained of your energy. All this brings to mind the reports from years ago of alleged alien abduction cases. The helplessness and sense of futility when attempting to free yourself from it's spell is one of the hallmarks of the encounter.
This is a one time suggestion from me, I am not known for going this far out on a limb with my thought or suggestions. Take it for what it's worth. I wouldn't feel it was valid at all save for the paralysis you endured during this encounter.

Jav
Parapowerless (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-16)
[at] Javelina

Well now that is the strangest suggestion I've heard thus far, that possibility hasn't even crossed my mind.

The entity I saw seemed to be structured entirely of pure black mass, a three-dimensional solid form with no distinguishing features or details, just a solid black ape-like humanoid (beings I saw hands, feet, head and limbs etc).
Of course when people say the word 'ET' or 'Alien' many would assume the stereotypical, however who are we to assume that's what an otherworld being is? The idea surrounding the appearance of an alien being is based on public opinion and reports, though not many people consider different species and/or races of ETBs.
I've never quite believed in the paranormal nor the extraterrestrial, though your opinions - all of you - continue to interest me.

Thank you kindly for all your support and attention, it's interesting seeing so many opinions.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-15)
Parapowerless,
This might sound strange, and I wouldn't have broached the subject at all had it not been brought up in another comment stream last week. But this almost has the ring of an ET to it. An alien.
It's alright if you want to laugh it off, I completely understand. However, it has been gnawing at me ever since I read your account this morning and I thought I should at least put the idea forth for consideration.

Jav
Parapowerless (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-15)
[at] Rookdygin

After researching into possible 'Fae' folklore of my town and surrounding area, I haven't retrieved any relevant results of which could explain the incident as the entity you suggested. With each item I research it seems to only alienate the experience further and further.

[at] MizMiMi02

Well it's always nice to hear someone appreciate somewhat eloquence haha, thank you.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-15)
I just wanted to say that I am also at a loss on this one, and don't really know what it could be. But I did want to say that it's great to see a well written story from someone, with teenager next to their name. To many times we get stories that are just absured from the first word, and I appreciate how you wrote the story. Thanks for the read.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-15)
Parapowerless,
What else can be said? I'm stumped. I have never heard of anything of this nature before and I wouldn't know where to begin. However, I am going to remember this one for a long time. If you ever do figure this out I do hope you will return and fill us in because frankly, I'm lost.
Thank you for sharing.

Jav
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-15)
Parapowerless,

I'm not sure what you may have experienced however I can't help but wonder if this wasn't some sort of non-human entity. While I know some 'Fae' folklore I have to ask you this... What are the 'Folktales' concerning the 'Fae' in your area. You may find a possible answer as to what drained your energy that night.

Please keep us updated and thanks for sharing.

Respectfully,

Rook
Parapowerless (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-14)
[at] JBarum

I entirely agree, I didn't feel threatened by the entity until I felt those sensations.
Parapowerless (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-14)
[at] Kamino

I didn't get the immediate sense it was seeking to harm me, though I felt the strange sensation I experienced gave me an impression otherwise - though I believe it could also be just trying to communicate.
JBarum (28 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-08-14)
Sounds like a shadow person to me. I would say succubus since it was draining your energy... But those are more sexual entities... And this one did not appear to be. Also, from the description, it's more like a shadow creature. I have no idea what these beings are but I believe they are different than ghosts. (interdimensional beings, pure energy, etc) I've only had a couple encounters with these things and while I didn't feel drained, I was terrified. It wasn't as if they were evil or anything... Just their presence was unsettling. THere was an indifference about them that unnerved me.
kamino (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-14)
i would be grateful if you could reply on your view of my comment
kamino (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-14)
first I belief in ghosts and I belief you exsperinced a real ghost. A ghost for reasons unknown find to it easier appear and comunicate with children particurly young I belief the spirit was trying to communicate and meant no harm

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: