You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Lady In The Elevator

Real Ghost Stories

The Lady In The Elevator

 

I have decided to post this experience first because it happens to be the most recent to which there have been other witnesses. I have had more than one occurrence with the "paranormal." Not all of them have been that friendly.

This happened about a year ago when my husband was home on leave from his deployment. We had taken the two weeks to relax and spend some quality time with one another before he had to go back. Before we knew it, his last night here in the States had come. He was scheduled to leave from the Billings Airport at around six o'clock in the morning and, at the time, we lived almost 100 miles from the city.

So, instead of choosing to get up at an unreasonable hour, we booked a hotel room at the Crowne Plaza. It is usually the best place to stay if you are on your way to the airport early. Upon checking in we decided to have one last date before we would be apart again for the next 9 months.

After eating, talking and laughing we paid and went to put the rest of the food back in our hotel room before going out again. Now, sometimes there seems to be small warning signs that something interesting is about to happen to me but not this time.

The hotel is pretty fancy for Montana, as most business people will attend seminars here or stay here when on business. To get the rooms there is somewhat of a half hallway - foyer type deal - with three elevators on each side. We came in from the back entrance of the hotel walking towards the front desk. I could clearly see at least one of the front desk attendants.

My husband reached the elevators a little bit before me, pushing the button as I walked up behind him. The elevator farthest away immediately opened for him and he walked in, having it close immediately behind him. I thought it was strange but shrugged it off and pushed the button again. At about that moment, for whatever reason, it seemed time slowed a little bit and the light in the little hallway became much brighter - almost like the energy around me slowed or sped up - as if the folds of energy or whatever keeps us here on this plain were momentarily interrupted. Afterwards I explained it to my mother as if someone takes a paperback book and fans the pages out with their thumb.

I looked up to see the elevator doors open and a young woman maybe a little bit older than me with blonde hair pulled back in a ponytail wearing blue jeans and a pink pull over jacket entered the elevator. Not thinking anything was out of the ordinary I walked in behind her to find only my husband in the elevator waiting for me. I asked where the woman was that walked in here before me and he looked at me like I was crazy! He kind of laughed and told me there hadn't been anyone walk in here but me and him.

I am still not quite sure what happened to this day. She wasn't wearing clothing from another time. She looked simply enough like another traveler going to her room.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Perhaps, where it seems like energy slows or speeds up like this before you see things? Let me know what you all think! Thanks for reading by the way and sorry if I rambled on.

Other hauntings by Blinky

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Blinky, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Blinky (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-20)
[at] Javelina- That would be quite the experience! I haven't had déjà vu for a whole day but I have had days in which I have had multiple occurrences in the same day. I honestly can't remember if I had any déjà vu leading up to the night I saw the lady in the elevator. I had déjà vu so strong the other day I had to stand there for a moment and gather myself because I knew I had been standing in that exact same spot at that time before. It's really a strange feeling!

[at] LouSlips- Oddly enough my username is not based on my experiences. I have a little Welsh Corgi named Baxter and ever since he was a puppy my dad has called him "Blinky." I don't know where he came up with the nickname but it has stuck and now everyone calls him Blinky. I couldn't think of a good username so I just stole it from my dog! I do believe, though, that things can appear in the blink of an eye. Perhaps that's what really happens all along? Maybe we have it all backwards?

[at] zetafornow- That's a good point. It could have been a spirit reliving their stay there. Maybe the lady had died and went back to the last place she enjoyed. I have always been a believer that when a person dies... Whatever may occupy our body (spirit or soul) has a tendency to go back to the places we were once so happy in. I think that happens a lot and why there are so many accounts of hauntings and for that matter friendly hauntings.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-20)
zetafornow,
Thanks for bringing me back down to earth here. That was so simple, it was brilliant! Kudos!

Jav 😆
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-20)
Interesting experience. I like all of the theories from the other posters but I would just like to make one comment. A "spirit" doesn't always have to come from another time period. You stated the person did not have on clothes from another time period but maybe just maybe it still was a spirit from a recent death. Just another thought.

Thanks, zeta.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-20)
This is going to sound pretty wierd, but how did you get your username? How many times have we heard about an experience where the person blinks and the apparition they were witnessing disappears? If a blink is the difference between seeing something and it suddenly diappearing... Then why couldn't something "appear in the blink of an eye"?
The human brain is a marvel and the perception it can provide in less than the time it takes to blink can extend beyond our current perceived plain of existence.

Lou
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-20)
Blinky,
See, now I believe you hit on something important there in your comment. Deja Vu. I know how powerful it can be. I had an entire day once. Well, an entire school day anyway. Very awesome stuff.
Had you experienced any in the days leading up, and just prior to, the incident at the elevator?

Jav
Blinky (2 stories) (13 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-20)
[at] Miracle and Javelina- I don't think I have had a premonition/vision while I was awake. I have had dreams (MANY OF THEM) that were visions. For example I dreamed/ saw my neighbor die... I dreamed/saw my basketball coach die and I have déjà vu regularly. The closest I have come to having a vision in my waking hours are feelings I get by looking at people/ or if they happen to brush up against me unexpected I can "feel" their emotions... Almost see where they have been... What's made them sad/happy in their lives... As crazy as that sounds. Maybe it was my first premonition while awake? That would be pretty interesting. That would definitely explain the clothing and how everything stayed the same such as furnishings!
[at] butthead- The elevators were actually your run of the mill stainless steel door elevators... Nothing was sticking to them (pictures or fliers). The place where you get on the elevators was pretty plain with the exception of what was in the lobbies in front and behind me. That would have been a good way to discount any funny business... If there would have been pictures or even something on the wall you could have chalked it up to me seeing something out of the corner of my eye. I didn't think you came across as not believing me... Just simply brainstorming on different theories to what might have happened. Any advice is welcome here!
[at] shellzy- Thanks for reading and I am glad you enjoyed it! It is a very hard feeling to describe. If I had to stand in front of a room and try to explain how I know what I know... For that matter how I feel like someone unseen is around... I would most likely fail. I just know. Although I do like it when I have a feeling before something happens... I have had things give me quite a scare at times!
I have seen The Langoliers! What a crazy movie. After watching it though you can't help but think "what if?" Stephen King really does have a very vivid imagination.
[at] Darkness- I haven't been on this site for very long but from the stories I have read I believe you are right. It happens to be common. Perhaps this is why my parents could have invested stock in one of the light bulb companies in our old house. My mom would complain about changing lightbulbs in lights every week/ every couple days sometimes. She eventually gave up and literally started buying them in bulk. I relate this with this house because I believe this house had its own personality.

Thanks everyone! ❤
Blinky (2 stories) (13 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-20)
[at] Dan_Paranormal- isn't the mind/brain just a completely fascinating thing!? I could definitely agree with the theory that we have a "sixth sense" towards the measurement of time. It has been scientifically proven that when an event "so strong" happens in a certain place that it is actually "recorded" into the time and place the event happened... I guess that is what they call "residual hauntings?" I may be wrong on that one! Though I think that goes nicely with your theory. I can certainly agree with you that something that may have happened 10 years ago seems like it just happened yesterday or the opposite. For example my grandpa passing in January... It feels like that was years and years ago today... Perhaps going well with your theory again my mind was under a great amount of stress! Which could also explain why it seemed my grandma could "sense" my grandpa sitting next to her when we were gathered in my aunt's house? Perhaps when the human body and brain are to that point of stress there is a slight hiccup in the brain that controls the perception aspect of things interrupting what would seem like everything around you. Great theory! What an exciting topic! 😁
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-19)
The dimensional shift theory is a great possibility, but I have also heard of many accounts of time and movement etc being affected from a spirit. Especially residual hauntings the energy in the room or vicinity sees to be displaced and out of the ordinary this will effect electricity and lighting etc as well. Just another theory to what you experienced. Thanks for sharing with us here.

Dan
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-19)
Blinky

I really enjoyed this story. I can relate to you when you say that you normally get 'small warning signs' that something is about to happen. I am very much the same. There are times when I know something will happen (it is a hard feeling to explain!) but things do also happen out of the blue as well which sometimes floor me.

The time rift theory fascinates me. I'm not sure if anyone has seen the Stephen King movie "The Langoliers" but it is based on a time rift theory. Just a movie I know 😆 but the idea is certainly there and really makes you wonder... 😊
butthead (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-19)
There wasn't a pic on the elevator doors of a woman fitting that description, or possibly a mirror on the doors that reflected off someone behind you was maybe walking away, that mighta opened and then obviously the image/pic would have dissapaeared into the wall 1 moment later as the doors opened/dissapeared.

I don't mean to come across as I don't believe you. And I know this theory is unlikely that I throw out. I can't think of any other possibly (despite unlikely, as this surely is) 'logical' explination.
Very interesting indeed, ta for sharing. ❤
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-19)
Blinky,
Miracles has a point there. It's one I hadn't considered, but it is an interesting scenario and I can see how precognition could fit in with what you have described. My daughter is precognitive as well, and she has explained it in the same manner. So you never know.

Jav
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-19)
Blinky - I do agree with the "parallel universe" theory but wanted to ask you a question. Have you ever knowingly had a premonition/vision? I have them and sometimes that is what they are like for me. Everything around me changes and then will go back to the way it really is. It can be kind of freaky and one day it scared me pretty badly.

Anyway, it was just another thought to put out here. Maybe you were experiencing a premonition of this woman getting on the elevator at a later time. Sometimes they are that simple 😆.
Dan_Paranormal (1 stories) (74 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-19)
Blinky,

Aspects of the world can be seen to be taken in through our senses. For example in how we see colours or how a noise sounds. The final product of the colour or the sound is altered by our sense of it.
The perception of time is very interesting in relation to this. We cannot hear, see or touch time yet some would argue that perhaps we have a sixth sense geared towards our measure of time passing by us. When we look back at the idea of what the past is in relation to what the present is, spaces in-between them can vary greatly. The object of what happened ten years ago can feel like a few days ago in relation to the current present. Likewise something that happened last year can feel like a decade ago. The way that we gage time can be significantly varied when we look through our experience of the passage of time throughout our lives. Interestingly, whenever we actually remember back to the past we always shoot back into our own first person gaze and it almost feels like the present again.

Therefore the way that we perceive fragments of the past and the present in relation to one another is construed as our perception of the gaze of time. However, in our 'real time' selves we are still always perceiving the passage of time around ourselves. The amount of emotions you were experiencing could have definitely had some form of effect on the time going on around you. The idea of perception itself is very much so linked to the field of Psychology. As the brain controls the senses, such an organ can control the perception of time. So if for even half a minute a form of stress or emotion is effecting you in such a way or intensity then your brain can also be effected causing a momentary lapse in perception. In this case the perception of time.

This can also be demonstrated by how some people in near death experiences such as a near miss from a car pile up can record a slowing of time during the event. It is also very much prevalent amongst heartache, tragedy etc. Therefore emotion can very much so effect time. The human condition itself is a very complicated thing and our psychology and minds are still not fully understood by a field of work that spans back to the 1800s.

Thank you for taking an interest in my theory and I hope that this post helps explain it a little better.
Blinky (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-18)
[at] aussiedaz- That's a pretty good explanation of what it seemed I had experienced! My husband hadn't even felt anything (I.E. A cold chill, energy change... Not even the light change).

[at] Unexplained- When the woman appeared the only thing that changed was the lighting in the hotel and of course the change in energy (slowing or speeding up at the given time of the encounter). I could clearly see the front desk and the attendant there and she stayed the same nor did she even seem to notice this was taking place fairly close to her. The furniture all stayed the same as it had been when we walked in. I read the link and that sounds pretty close to what I experienced the only difference is that mine was not a prolonged amount of time nor was I able to interact with the woman.

[at] Javelina- That is a VERY interesting topic. I am going to have to do a bit of research on it. I read a book that was similar to that (although it was fiction) the book was about two universes that were similar in experiences and people. What happened to one person the opposite happened to the "twin" in the alternate universe. It's a lot to take in thinking that everything we do... Just behind what could be described as a "universal curtain" the almost exact thing may be happening!

[at] Dan_Paranormal- Do you think the impending stress of my husband going back to war might have effected this in anyway? I would like you to explain a bit more for me to understand because that could also be a very good theory. I did happen to be anticipating what was a pretty teary goodbye (as always).

Thank you all for reading and giving feedback and thank you all for your kind words and compliments on the story!
Dan_Paranormal (1 stories) (74 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-18)
In my opinion, what you experienced may possibly be explained as a form of perception difference.

Time can be considered as a perception and can be altered by various events creating a different motion around us. For example, when we're in massive states of distress or in the event of a near death experience it can slow down to a slow motion like state. It's a very relative thing and even though most of the time we live in a 'real time' like motion it's very easy for it to be disrupted and therefore become slow or even quickened by something out of the ordinary.

The light changing can also be considered along the same lines as what we view is ultimately altered by our perception of events, e.g. In the way that the light brightened as told in your story. Altogether it's all a very delicate system and quite easy to disrupt.

Thank you for sharing an interesting story.
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-18)
Hi Javelina, a time rift could possibly be a split between present time and centuries ago, or it could be just a few minutes from the present.

I do take your point that the story I referred to illustrates a scenario that depicts a longer time difference than the one shown in Blinky's story.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-18)
[at] unexplained,
I remember when that story was published. As a matter of fact, I was in on the conversation as well. The difference between this experience and a time rift is that in this experience the woman she saw go into the elevator was of our time. In his story he was transplanted into an entirely different time that was decades apart from our own.

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-08-18)
Ooooh... Parallel universe? Now this is a subject I can sink my teeth into. I agree with aussie about there being a good possibility you may have had a little peek across realms with this experience. The theory has been put forth by some of the most noted quantum physicists of our day. It sits with the string theory in how the numbers are crunched, both of which are far too advanced for my tiny brain. And there are several different theories on how these universes relate to each other. And yes, the one many of us imagined when we were children looking into the mirror and wondering if who we were looking at was a reflection of us or simply another 'us' on the other side of the glass, both performing the same movements at the same moment... This is one of the many theories. It can get confusing, but it is fun to imagine what the others are like.
Suppose you happened to be in that spot at the moment the 'shield' that separates us experienced a small ripple. In that moment you became privy to another reality, or realm, if you will. Things happening there don't have to be carbon copies of what happens here. But they have all the same elements we have. And that universe is on a separate string, but so close to ours we could be passing each other going down the hallway without ever knowing the other was there with us. Giving that universe the same properties as our own, but set to a different time of day. We could be minutes or hours apart, yet still be the same in structure because of the elements we share.
Okay, I just read through what I've written and it's probably best if I stop right there. I don't want this to get too confusing.

Jav
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-18)
Interesting story. Sounds more like a time rift than something paranormal (ie. Ghosts, spirits, etc).

What did the rest of the hotel's surrounds look like when the woman appeared? Did any furnishings change at all? The lobby? Desk?

Your story reminds me of this:

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=14944

If you have a moment, take a read and let us all know what you think.

U.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-18)
Interesting account Blinky and thank you for sharing it... I believe it's possible, there is a parallel universe of existence, co existing by the most marginal amount of space and time... Where on occasions for what ever reason these two worlds overlay each other like two pieces of paper sticking together, causing all sorts of unexplainable accounts and there are many other story's here of such nature and perhaps that's what you had been witness too? Even though your partner never saw anything you may have been in that next universe for a fraction of a second and long enough to bear witness to someone else using the lifts?... Then like a light switch the universes unravelled in time before you entered the lift from this universe to find your partner in the lift on his own... Perhaps that's what it was mate?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: