You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Hell House

Real Ghost Stories

Hell House

 

Everything that you're about to read happened about 12 years ago in a house that I no longer live in. Some of these things I saw myself, others are accounts from my friends and family. My parents, younger brother and I moved in to what we thought at the time was a fairly normal house; my dad seemed sort of uneasy but shook it off as nothing.

The first night when I was unpacking my room I heard a tapping on the wall, which at first I dismissed as the house just "settling" but every couple of minutes there would be a "tap tap tap." Confused, I went and found my mum who was in the next room and asked her if she knew what it was, she just shrugged it off as being my imagination and so did I.

Everything was calm for a few nights after that until my brother, who would have been about seven, started screaming in the middle of the night. I got up to check on him, thinking he'd had a nightmare but when I stepped into his room not only was it freezing cold but there was a strange smell, sort of like a spicy scent. I believed in the paranormal and knew of the signs so went to fetch my mum, who of course once again told me it was my imagination. She sent me back to bed and tucked my brother back in.

The next encounter is an account of what my friend said she saw when she was sleeping over. She said she awoke to the feeling of a cat or something like that jumping up on the bed; we didn't have a cat. A bit shaken she rolled over so that she was facing where I slept only to see a large tall figure standing over me. As you can imagine she tried to wake me but by the time she managed it, the figure was gone.

Around this time my dad had mentioned that he had heard the distinct voices of three different people arguing in the lounge room, but when he went to investigate there was nothing there. He was a strong believer already so came to the conclusion the there was something in the house.

From this point on things started going missing only to turn up a few days later in the middle of the hallway. Only recently my mum confessed that she'd been woken by a tapping on the bed, only to be confronted by a figure dressed in a long dress with a distorted face hovering over her. She said she'd gone to scream, only to have the "being" sort of absorb it and pelt back its own scream.

We soon moved out of the house, my dad not wanting to have to endure another haunted house as he'd grown up in one. After we moved out everything calmed down for us but not for the people who moved in after us.

We were close to our next door neighbors so would still go to many of their parties, so luckily for us we got to meet the new tenants. They explained that the walls would be tapped on, that disembodied voices would call their names and that they would constantly see shadowy figures flit around the house. After we told them our experiences they soon moved out. I now keep an eye on the house and find it funny to see how many families move in and out.

I'd like to know if any of you have an idea of what had been going on or what could have caused this. It would help a lot with my understanding and helping of others. Thanks.

Other hauntings by majesticglory

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, majesticglory, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-30)
could your family not have warned the people before they moved into the house to save them all the bother of moving sfuff into the house & setting up home & then have to move on out again... That's how you can help people...
majesticglory (2 stories) (7 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-29)
darkness: I'm from Queensland and after a bit of research I discovered that there used to be a river where the house was built, turns out quite a few people drowned there.

~majesticglory
arina (20 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-23)
Maybe in the olden times there was a connection because then people were very superstitious and it's good you left or it would have freaked you out so much that you would have left and not found another place to go to and other people how are going to bye the house you should kind of warn them about it just incase something serious don't happen ❤
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-22)
majesticglory,

I try not to promote my own experiences, but I had a similar experience that I wrote a while back. Feel free to read and comment. I just wanted you to know you are not alone in your experiences. (330 Main St.)

Lou
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
majesticglory, that house seems like it was claimed by those spirits and they were not sharing. Wow, your poor mom must have been beside herself seeing an apparition like that. Then to have it screem in her face to add to the horror. I probably would not have slept for a week after that. My best guess is that a couple of tragic events took place either in the house or on the property which led to those spirits being stuck there. Very creepy, thanks for sharing your experiences with us.
x77 (1 stories) (23 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
Nice story!
It is a little similar to the old movie "Poltergeist".

Besides, in my country (Taiwan) seller should disclose whether someone has suicide or be murdered in the house.

It is ruled in the law, if the seller didn't observe, the buyer could ask to return the money. 😊
Starshipz (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
Also guyz, I just posted one of my experiences with spirits. It's called alarm clock, I was wondering if You could all check it out if it gets published on here:)

❤ starshipz
Starshipz (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
Someone could have died in the house while it was being built? Or maybe it was built ontop of an old cemetery?

❤ Starshipz
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
There is no legal obligation, I do think in some states the real estate do mention it to the prospective buyers or tenants if it's with in the last 3 years, but again that's not required by law just better practise on the behalf of the real estates.
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
Dan I think you are right. I live in VIC and I remember a couple of years ago a couple bought a home where a murder had occured and the seller did not disclose the information and by law they didn't have to. There was a big hoo haw about it all as the buyers were very unhappy about it but there was not much they could do as the seller technically did not break the law. But it could vary from state to state I'm not 100% sure...
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
Also I'm pretty sure we do not have any disclosure laws like that in Australia where you must state wether or not there has been a death on the property or if it is haunted at all! I could be wrong though! 😊
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
majesticglory: Interesting the way you described what your mum had seen that night, it seems as though it was purposely trying to frighten her or was trying to mimic her. I am interested to know the history of that home may I ask where there any details regarding the history etc that you know about? I noticed you are from Australia aswell, may I ask what state this was in? Thanks for sharing.

Dan
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
I am not very big on the whole 'KARMA' thing... But really, REALLY?!? A minus one on my last comment? REALLY?

Can someone explain just what I said that warranted a minus one... Or should I chalk it up to the Negative Karma Fairy?

Just curious...

Respectfully,

Rook
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-20)
rstahley,

Disclosure Laws very from State to State so the 'seller' may not have to make a full claim of what has happened with-in a home... And in this case we see that it was 'moot' as majesticglory's Family was only renting the property.

Majesticglory,

Thanks for sharing.

Respectfully,

Rook
majesticglory (2 stories) (7 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-20)
rstahley: We rented it, so lucky for us it was easy to get out.

Casper_the_ghost: My dad has always been a beliver, having experienced quite a lot of stuff himself, my mother on the other hand was a bit of a sceptic until we experienced this. And my mother only told me this about two years ago, by than i'd come face to face with much more scary things than this, which I will post in a later story.

Alphawolfe: we moved beacuse we were renting anyway so we didn't see the point of enduring the activity. We also didn't want to risk it getting worse.

If there are anymore questions feel free to ask

~majesticglory
Alphawolfe (2 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-19)
Wow. That would've been scary. Although I don't see why you moved. There are spirits in the house. You could've simply ignored them. They weren't hurting anybody. Or you could've talked to them, found out why they are still with the living, and possibly help them to leave. They were probaly lonely spirits, or just looking for a brave person to scare.
Casper_the_ghost (9 stories) (180 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-19)
That is some story! Are your parents believers of the paranormal so? Just asking as you say your mother told you what she saw. I just cannot imagine a parent telling their already distressed 'imaginative' child this? Maybe its just me but the only time my parents would say something like that to me would be as a joke or a ploy to scare the living daylights outta me. 😕
rstahley (3 stories) (102 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-19)
Did you guys rent or buy the house? I'm just wondering because (I'm not sure on this) I thought that if a house has a reputation of being haunted, it must be disclosed to the buyer before purchase... But maybe it's only if you ask. Also, I was wondering if you owned the house, because when the new tenants were complaining about the hauntings, if your family sold the house to them, they may have been thinking "thanks a lot for selling us your haunted house." Haha.

I know that a lot of people say, "Why would you sell your haunted house to another family and make them go through it?" BUT what is your other option? Have two house payments? Go bankrupt? What do you do? It might sound crazy, but this is one of my biggest fears about buying a house.
Blackmoonmage20 (1 stories) (58 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-19)
I suggest that you should tell your neighbors to demolish the house and build a new one. But if it is too expensive, then maybe (if they are scared or uncomfortable) they should find another house to live. 😊
Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-19)
Wow! That is such an amazing story! Very impressive, though probably not at the time for your family.
Have you researched the previous+ tenants before yourselves?
Somebody may not have necessarily died in that house but they may have left bad feeling. The arguing voices seem residual, but I'm not sure about the other stuff that's happening.
I know a couple of houses where its occupiers move in and out like they have revolving doors. There is a saying that once a house is for sale its always up for sale! 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: