You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Last House In The Hollow

Real Ghost Stories

The Last House In The Hollow

 

I live in a small rural area named Canoe, nestled in the hills of eastern Kentucky. I live in an old 2 bedroom farm house located on about 300 acres of mostly hillside property. The house is located in the head of a hollow. There are no more houses in the hollow although it does continue for quite a ways past my home.

I moved in the house last November 2011. The first occurance in the house was shortly after moving in. About a week into the move I was sitting up by myself one night, my husband had already went to bed, and I looked up and saw a woman standing in the living right where you enter the kitchen area. She had on a long white nightgown that had long sleeves and came in tightly at the wrist. She was old and thin and had greyish hair. As soon as I saw her she was gone. We had been remodeling the bathroom the whole week and had just finished it and it looked so much better. I sometimes wonder if she wasn't there to give me her approval. There had been two people that I know of die in the house and one was the original owner, a elderly woman and the other a young man who had overdosed on medication and died in the house about ten years ealier.

The next incident occurred when my son came to live with us a few months later. We both came in from a trip to town and I sat down on the couch and my son went into the kitchen. Upon entering he was hit in the back by a potato that had been on the stovetop. It was a whole uncooked potato. My son was shocked and looked to see what hit him and where it went. He told me to come into the kitchen and the potato was all the way across the room. We knew it was something paranormal but we have encountered such things before so we just laughed it off.

After that I just began to feel like I was being watched when I was alone in the house, which was most of the time. The morning hours are the worst, from about 9:00 to 11:00am. I often hear what sounds like the front door opening and shutting and sometimes I hear what sounds like someone dropping things on the floor. Often I find the broom or mop lying in the floor in places that they weren't before. I hardly ever find my shoes where I pulled them off at. They will be in another room or across the room.

The last incident took place this morning. It was about 9:30am and I rolled over to get more comfortable in bed and just as I found a good position I began to hear breathing sounds. They were heavy and sounded like someone breathing through their nose real hard. I was shocked and listened for a few more seconds and then I panicked. I just knew someone was right beside me. I looked across the bed and down at the foot of the bed and saw nothing. Then the sounds grew louder and sounded like someone was right next to my ear making the breathing sounds. I closed my eyes and began to pray out loud. Within seconds the breathing sounds stopped. I lay there for a while just taking in what had just happened. I continued to feel as if something were watching me. Finally I drifted back off to sleep a while longer.

At night my outside dog goes crazy. Of course, it could be a number of things he is barking at. We have many wild animals in the woods around the house and of course a few graveyards. I know something is living in this house with my husband and I. He has heard things too. Mostly things being jumbled about the house. Sounds of things outside moving around. He isn't really concerned but he dosen't spend any time here at the house by himself like I do.

Other hauntings by southerntk

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kentucky

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, southerntk, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

southerntk (4 stories) (75 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-08)
If you have a facebook, I have a web site I created to put my pix on and anyone else a part of the group... Go to... We know you are there... Type it in the search space bar on facebook... Click on the join group and I will add you and you can see the pix... Thx for your interest... Anyone of you who want to see them can do the same thing...
Sywren (29 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-06)
Well, if you find time to post them somewhere else, feel free to share the link:)
Orbs are quite fascinating. I've read all the theories linked to them, and as valid as some might sound, I still believe there is a difference between dust particle orbs and the unexplained ones.
southerntk (4 stories) (75 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-05)
Sywren, we can't post orb pix on this site or I would gladly show them to you. There are so many and some are very bright and big. Some are some that are small and solid white. Some of them even show what looks like an eye or opening in the middle of them. I always feel tension when I am taking the pix. I feel like something is watching me. Just the way I feel in the house sometimes.
Sywren (29 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-04)
Absolutely love Butthead's comment hahaha. They are asking all the right questions. I felt very much in tune with everything he/she asked. And it sounds to me also that you are really getting in tune with everything going around you now. You truly have a gift.
I would LOVE to see the photos you have taken of the orbs outside your house!

All the best.:)
southerntk (4 stories) (75 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-03)
The other night as soon as I got into bed, I heard a man speak and this time I understood what he said and who it was. It was my husbands uncle who passed away in may of 2010. His father passed in our home in December of 2010. Not the home we live in now but the one just before we moved here. So he never died here in this house. His name was Rocky. He was about 56 when he died. He said very plainly with his very unique deep voice, "Daddy, she is having a ball with this." I knew he was talking about me and how I am not really afraid of them. I know they are not the only ones here though. My husband was very close to both of them, Rocky and his dad, which we call papaw. I don't know why they aren't aggravating my husband. They both really did like to prank and tell jokes. Rocky enjoyed seeing you get mad too. He also smoked heavily and that is what let to his sickness. His death was odd though because he died from a drug overdose, (this is a different person than I mentioned in the original story), and the drug in his system was one he was very afraid of and would never take. He had a falling out with a supposed friend a week before he died and had told them he was getting a warrant on them for stealing his ssi check. They were caught on camera cashing it at the bank. Next thing we know he is dead from a drug that one of the thieves recieved from a prescription every month. We always believed he was injected with the drug to kill him. He had just got out of the hospital for lung related problems and had I.V marks on him already. He may be wanting to tell us something about his death or he may just be wanting to prank with me. The orbs I take pictures of outside are the most I have ever seen in one place. Yes this area was a site of a battle during the civil war. There is actually a story of two soldiers being thrown into a well on up the creek a little farther. Years ago they were many houses past this one. They all burned in a forest fire years ago. So I am the last house in the hollow now. This house supposedly isn't too awfully old. I'm not sure of the date it was built but I can find out. They have only been about 4 different sets of people live here. Mostly members of the original family who built the house. We are the first to not be in the family. Maybe this has something to do with it. I know they are different spirits here though. My husbands family that followed us here and the ones already here. Also the people who built the house had to tear out the side of a cliff to make the house seat and disturbed some Indian graves to do so.
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-09-01)
An excellent account with so many experiences. Try not to show your anger or fear at these spirits, this may increase occurrences and they could become more aggressive. At this stage, they appear benign, and at times just downright mischievous and playful (such as the one jumping on your bed and the throwing of the potato).

If you have the courage, do not shut yourself off from them. Try to open communication with them if you can... You may learn something about them, their history, something about why they are feeling disturbed, but any information you receive weigh it up with a good degree of common sense by doing some research of your own (if you have the time).

What is the history of the house? The property? If you have any time, start to research the property. How old are the graveyards? Was it the site of an old battlefield? Disaster? Are they mixed burial sites? Try to get the names of the previous owners of the house, try to identify the spirits (like the old woman) and call them by their names and see what happens?

In the UK, as I am sure you have in the US, we have property registers of the previous occupants who lived before us. I know the names, the occupations of the previous owners, and the length of time of those who lived where I now live. This may be of some use to you if you can find something similar.

Anyway, hope this helps.:-)
southerntk (4 stories) (75 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-30)
one of you commented about my son maybe having done something, he was very messy when he stayed with me. I had to do a lot of picking up of papers and stuff in the bedroom when he left. It wasn't nasty, just messy, so yeah maybe that is why he got hit with the potatoe, I don't know. He had every thing he owned in that room with him stacked all around. Another thing I wonder about is, this is the first house I have lived in that I don't use curtains anywhere except the bedrooms. I am the last house in the hollow and no one is around to peer in the windows and I love the view. All you see is the hills and the creek and dirt road. So maybe the spirits are looking in and noticing me more. Just a thought. Maybe its dumb but I do feel like I am being watched a lot. If a person was out there my outside dogs would bark. I heard the dog whining next to my bed again to a couple days ago. This is the only place I have lived that I have experienced an animal spirit like that. It's definately coming from right next to my bed too, not from outside.
southerntk (4 stories) (75 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-30)
I know you guys probably wonder how I can live in this house with all this occurring but I have delt with it all my life... But I have never had it happen so often and so continuous as it has here. It scares you when it happens but the fear is quickly gone and turns into more of I wonder what they want from me. I don't like that it happens mostly when I am alone either. This morning I had just turned over in bed and something jumped on the bed next to me. It moved the whole bed. I screamed get out of here and went back to sleep. I don't sleep really until about 4 or 5am so when I do get to sleep I want to sleep in. I can't let this stuff happening keep me from getting rest. You may be right about the spirit wanting a cleaner house. I am not a dirty housekeeper but I am rather cluttery. I also capure tons of orbs on camera every time I go outside. Some of them are in motion and really cool. I don't know if orbs are spirits though. Most sites I have visited say they are just electric particles of some kind. How do they really know? If all those orbs are spirits I am surrounded. I have always had visions to when I get around people and concentrate. Like once I told my kids cousin she was pregnant. She said no way, and I said I just saw you pregnant and she took a test and she was. I didn't know she had been trying to get pregnant. So maybe you are right about ghost being drawn to me because of like a second sight I may have or something. The whole time I am sleeping I keep awaking to what it feels like when your hair raises on your neck and arms. Like something just went through me. Only it feels like that all over my body. Moving might get rid of these particular ghost but each place I have lived I have seen them or heard them. Thats another thing, I keep hearing a man talking in my house and I sleep with the fan on, so I hear him but can't understand exactly what he is saying. The original owner had an adult son who was mentally handicapped or something and she had to care for him. I think it was him I saw in the yard one day. My neighbor said he used to wear flannel shirts all the time and the man I saw had on a flannel shirt too. That man died in a nursing home though, but I guess he could still be here. He wasn't very old either. The last orb picture I took outside was at 12:20am and as soon as I took the picture, a man said, "OH". I had a friend with me and it scared her so bad she peed on herself and I about knocked her down getting in the house.
butthead (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-25)
you said you saw an old women, who also seems to fit the description of the original owner of the building?

You say you find brooms around in strange locations (maybe this is a sign to tell you to broom that area lol). Also shoes are regularely moved? Perhaps she had a thing for shoes being in the right places or rooms.

As for the potato, was there something possibly interlinking with your son being silly that night, or more to the point I'm gettin at somehow didn't clean up an area he was previously in, perhaps made some mess somewhere. Maybe even left the potato out on the side himself earlier that day.

I'm just curious, because from what I read it seems possible that this spirit is the original owner and still acts as though she would in 'her time' spent there, and she may well have been very, observant of how tidy her house was, and kept. Etc.

Just a thought.
If you feel that this could be on the right lines, perhaps letting her know that you respect this was her home, that you wish only to look after it, but that she respect that it is now your home and must respect you and your wishes or leave.
Something to consider, if what I am rambling on about seems it could be likely.

arina (20 posts)
-4
12 years ago (2012-08-23)
😠 It could be an angry spirit that you have just disturbed maybe going into a certain part of the house and how could you have laughed it of when a potato hit your son if I were you I would get out of the house straight away.
I would advise put a bible or holy water in each room and just incase you think it's a demon tie a not on a napkin and keep it with you all day it keeps away demons.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-08-22)
southerntk,
You just said the answer right then. Yes, they are drawn to you. If you have been experiencing things throughout your life, it is pretty much a certainty. To the spirits, when they come into contact with someone who is able to see or sense them, it's like you're the blue light special at KMART. They all come running!
You really can't blame them, at least most of them anyway. They are in a place, a realm, that has them in a sort of suspended animation in a way. They can't communicate with most people because they don't even know they are there. So when someone does come along, someone like you, it's an all out dash for where ever you are.

Jav
southerntk (4 stories) (75 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-22)
You are right, I shouldn't share my house with this entity. Today I heard voices in the house about 8:30am and I yelled out that I couldn't hear because I thought it was my husband still getting ready for work. I didn't understand what was said. Then I looked over at the clock and it was after he'd already left. I just rolled over and went back to sleep. Last night I had something hit the window behind me very hard and I wouldn't look to see what it was. It was about 1am. It did make me feel strange but I wouldn't look out. About 3am I did go out on the porch and look around and I didn't stay out long because I thought I heard someone speak to me. I came right back in. I will try the cleansing and get some rosemary scented items if I can find some.
Yeah the potatoe hit my son in the back, not head, but it could have been his head easily. There are also some graves on the hill behind my house. I haven't been up there so I don't know if they are marked but I know they are relatives of the property owners. They are located close though, my neighbor told me. I doubt that has anything to do with it though. I have had simular things happen to me several times throughout my life. Almost every place I have lived in. I sometimes think I attract them somehow.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-08-22)
southerntk:

You state that you would say that you don't mind sharing the house but no more communications. Here's my take on the situation. There's an entity in this house that you should not wish to share with; example being throwing a potato at the head of your son. That really could have been a dangerous situation as ludicrous as it sounds. I empathize with you about being home alone in the house a lot... That is terrifying. I think any communication you make with the spirit is to let it know that you will not tolerate living with them any longer and you wish for them to move on. If the cleansing and other things do not work, it may be time for you and your family to move on as difficult as it may be.

Good luck, zeta.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-22)
This is what shellzy is speaking of...

Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (allow for two or 3 days to complete)

Day one: Open all curtains window and doors with screens installed, let fresh air and sunshine into the home. Have all closets, cabinets and other 'dark spaces' open so that as much natural light as possible can enter those spaces. After 2-3 hours take a broom and 'sweep' out each room (this is symbolic and you do not have to really sweep) focus your thoughts on sweeping (pushing) out all negative energies / entities /thoughts. Close home up after completing each room of your home... Please do not forget your garage if you have one. (Optional) Light incense (sandalwood or Dragons-blood works well for me) and let aroma fill the home, and/or play a tape that contains your favorite Church/Positive, Upbeat (songs that give you good thoughts) songs before you begin sweeping.

Day two (or three): Once again open all curtains, windows and doors. Take a White candle (Optional) to the center most point of the home, sit on the floor and place candle in front of you. Light the candle (visualize a white ball of light) and then focus on the flame... Visualize the flame (white light) filled with positive thoughts, energy. (Say a prayer at this time if you so desire... Ask for cleansing positive energy to fill the candles flame/white light). Hold this 'image' in your mind and then visualize the flame (light) slowly expanding outward, visualize it filling the room your in, every corner and 'dark space'. Continue to visualize it expanding...it's outer edges pushing away (burning away) any and all negative energies/entities out and away from each room in your home. Once you have visualized this flame (light) filling your entire home, picture it expanding to your property lines. Hold this image in your mind for a few moments then visualize 'anchoring' this flame (light) where you are sitting which is the center most point of your home. Once you have done this. Take a deep breath, relax a few moments and then blow out the candle. (If you didn't use a candle just let yourself relax a moment or two.) "

Now you can create a shield for yourself using the 'home shield' technique but instead of focusing on your home visualize the 'flame' simply surrounding you instead of your home... Best time to do this is after a nice shower using a rosemary scented soap (rosemary is good for purification and protection.)

Please keep us updated.

Respectfully,

Rook
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
southertk

Im wondering whether the activity your experiencing could be attributed to the fact that you have remodelled your home recently? It does certainly sound like your house has had it's fair share of history if there have been two deaths in the house.

Perhaps you could try Rook's cleansing method in your home. It has certainly worked for many members on this site (including me) so it may be worth giving it a go. 😊
southerntk (4 stories) (75 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
Thanks for your comments, I will try that. Since I submitted this story a couple other things have happened, both of which frightened me quite a bit. One night at 3:20am, I once again had insomnia, so I went to do a load of laundry. I had already done one load an hour earlier or so. As I went into the dining room which leads to the laundry room door, I looked down and saw an old cigarette lighter of my husbands standing on its end in the middle of the floor. I think this scared me so bad because I knew the effort it had to of taken to do that and it hadn't been there earlier. It was on its end too just like a person had done it. My husband had been asleep since 10pm so I was pretty mortified. A few days later at about 10:30am I am alone in the bed and I hear a dog whining beside the bed. I knew it was not possible and I once again just immediately started praying. It quit after a few more seconds. It sounded like how a dog would behave wanting in the house. Only it was right behind me, right next to the bed. Then this morning I heard someone speak to me. I didn't understand what they said and they didn't repeat it. This was once again about 10:30am. It did sound like a male voice. I think next time I will say something about not minding sharing the house but please no more communications.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
If you believe this is an intelligent haunt, and it sounds like it could be, I'd say it's time to see if you can set some clear boundaries. Next time something like the potato incident or the breathing happens, try gently but firmly telling whomever it is you are aware of their presence and don't object to them sharing the house but they will have to respect your privacy, keep out of your bedroom and not play tricks on you. If that doesn't work, a respectable medium or paranormal investigator may be able to assist you. Some of the incidents, like the sounds of the door opening, sound residual and I wouldn't worry too much about them.
princess03688 (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
I wonder what would happen if you would bring in a ghost investigator. I think they could figure out what other ghosts are there.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: