You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Incident With The Attic Door 2

Real Ghost Stories

Incident With The Attic Door 2

 

I imagined after my previous piece that I would not submit a story about my attic again. From all the comments most people felt it was the wind and I felt a lot better about it. I recounted my attic story previously hoping that the attic door would not open again. Well out of the blue awhile back it opened again. This time it was not a windy day but it was when my partner was away at work again. On this day I went upstairs to get something and felt the icy breeze above and knew before I looked up at the the top of the stairs that the attic door would be open again. And it was! I knew I had to physically talk to someone to make sure I was not seeing things so I rang my partner (on my mobile) in a panic and he calmed me down over the phone as I was paralysed with fear and refused to move from the step. I just remember my back stuck to the wall in fear.

Eventually I knew I had to close the door as the cold was overwhelming and freezing through the house. I got the chair and again did not look up but closed the door as quickly as I could, turning it at the required angle until it fell into its groove. There have been a lot of extremely windy days over the months and the attic door never opens. I have never been into the attic at all but recently decided to climb up and look at the door with a friend. What I never knew was that on one side there are supports for the roof that make it difficult to turn the door once it is semi opened and now I wonder how the wind could turn the attic door such an angle to open it and avoid hitting the struts. The wind would have to lift the door up and shift it to the opposite roof slant before turning it away from these supports to open. Mystery.

I now check it daily and try not to think too much about it. My partner thinks nothing of it. I guess I will always wonder.

Other hauntings by skypette

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, skypette, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

skypette (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-05)
Thanks to all for the replies. I had thought of the lock and may just well do it as I can't keep from checking the door daily. I put off doing it as I am petrified that with the lock on I will discover it one day open again and will just move house! I have noticed at times lights I thought I had put out were on again but couldn't be sure I really had turned the light out, you know? Also we do hear noises up through the chimney as though someone stokes the fire at around 10. 30pm most nights but put it down to other things! Items do go missing a lot but turn up even when we have checked and doubled checked areas where they were.
Cliney1212 (4 stories) (121 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-25)
In the house I grew up in the attic door used to be the same it would move open all the time and it sounds like the same kind of door (square hatch in ceiling) it would dislodge and move to one side on windy days usually caused by a draft when the main door downstairs opened. 😊
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-23)
Sounds terrifying. I guess the best you can do is keep track of the condition of the door so that if it happens again you will be in an even stronger position to rule out all possible non-paranormal causes. As for the paranormal ones, try not to let your fear get the better of you. There's no evidence that whatever it is means you any harm. It just seems to have a preference for having the door open at times. For all we know, it's completely unaware of or indifferent to your presence. Or maybe it thinks you'd like the door open too:)
NiNiNogginHead (33 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-23)
I agree with shellzy placing a lock on the door would either prove it's not the wind or make it impossible for the ghost to open it. I would also suggest putting a camera somewhere to see if you can catch it opening so you can get a good idea of how it happens.
arina (20 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-23)
You shouldn't check it daily you should keep a record of the door opening 😜
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-22)
Hi Skypette

Have you thought about maybe placing a lock on the attic door? If it is the wind it should not open if it is locked shut. If it is something paranormal, the resident ghostie may have trouble unlocking it, especially if it is unfmailar with something 'new' on the door. 😊

Might give you some peace of mind too... Just a thought 😊
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-22)
Have you experienced anything else in this house other than the attic door opening?

Thanks, zeta.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: