You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Floating By

Real Ghost Stories

Floating By

 

Let me start off by saying that I am currently 21 years old and have had only one unexplainable event in my lifetime. This event still bothers me to this day and I'd like to tell someone about it without being called "crazy". I can remember this event with precise detail.

It happened when I was around 11 and in the 6th grade. I used to love swinging and my parents finally caved in and bought a swing. My father put it up in the back yard on a large tree. I would spend at least 2 hours a day swinging with my dog Bandit right by my side. Bandit was a Rottweiler mix and my parents found him when he was just puppy when I was two. He would always sleep by the tree while I swung.

One Saturday morning in late November, I went out and began swinging like usual. I was daydreaming like I always did when I noticed Bandit was looking past me with a rather deep gaze. Looking to my right I didn't see anything and thought maybe he saw the window blinds move. On my right was the back wall of my house with three windows (one being the window to my room and the other two to the laundry room). All the blinds were still closed and I just disregarded Bandit and kept swinging. About 15 minutes had passed and Bandit had gone back to sleep when I started to feel uneasy. A feeling of sudden anxiety seemed to over me and I decided that I wanted to go inside.

As I got off the swing I noticed that Bandit was looking passed me again towards the same area. When I looked the direction he was looking, I saw a white figure coming toward us. This figure had no feet or facial features. As it got closer I saw that this figure looked to be a woman in a dress holding something in her hands close to her chest. She was wearing what looked like a large sunhat. This figure was completely white and floating and a rather fast speed.

Paralyzed with fear, all I could do was just watch as this figure passed me and Bandit without any regard to us. As soon as this figure passed us and the tree it faded away into what I can best describe as a white floating cobweb. Soon after, it just disappeared all together. Finally snapping out of my frozen state, I ran as fast as I could back into the house with Bandit right behind me (he followed me everywhere when I was outside).

I entered the house to find my parents sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee. Since my father is a HUGE skeptic and laughs and dismisses all "paranormal" experiences, I decided I wasn't going to say anything. My dad began petting Bandit and noticed he was shaking. Yes he is a big dog AND a big baby! To be fair, I was shaking myself but was able to hide it. A little later when my father was gone, I told my mom what happened and she dismissed it and said it was my imagination. Since that day, I never used the swing again and several years later my father took down the swing.

I know that is probably pathetic but that experience terrified me and I hope to never experience something like that again. Thank you for taking your time to read my experience and please leave your opinion if you would like.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, scarlet_island, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-25)
scarlet_island - I wanted to let you know you aren't the only one who's experienced something like this. Granted, I wasn't a little girl. I was an adult with 2 children, but one night I driving and saw a filmy white image just floating across the road from the left of my car and into the yard of an old abandoned house. I know it wasn't my headlights creating the image because it wasn't directly in front of my car. There was a definite empty space between my headlights and the ghost.

But as a child, my family never talked about ghosts. If anything like this had happened to me when I was a child, I'm pretty sure I would have reacted exactly the same way as you. Can you talk to your parents about your experience now, or do they still feel the same?
Cliney1212 (4 stories) (121 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-25)
Scarlet island... I liked your story my partner tells a very similar story from when he too was 11... He and his friend were on there way to a karate lesson... When he saw what looked like a white dress drift slowly across the road in front of them... He never told anyone for years (not sure why his mum is very spiritual) but at least his friend saw it too... 😊
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-24)
I'm sorry seeing that apparition frightened you so much you stopped using the swing. I probably wouldn't have used it again either. Agreeing with the others, I don't believe it meant any harm. I'm interested to know who she was though. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. 😊
Night_Vampire (19 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-24)
Scarlet_island
You should search about the history of that place where you live...
Anyways I like reading your story its intresting:)

Night_vampire
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-23)
Poor Bandit! If only animals could talk, I believe all the great mysteries of the universe would be solved. At least you did not have to go through that alone and had each other for support and confirmation that whatever it was it was not your imagination. Whatever this was, it doesn't sound like it meant you any harm or was even aware of your presence. You were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
scarlet_island (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-23)
Thank you all so much for your encouraging words. You have no idea how much telling you guys and reading your comments has helped me.
Lloyd1928 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-23)
What I recommend is that you should go to your local library and check if there was any paranormal activity in the area before you encountered the woman.
The best explanation for the woman waring the clothes is that they were the clothes that she died in.
I do not think you are mad or crazy because this is not the first paranormal activity that I have heard of a woman in a dress and a hat.
-lloyd1928
arina (20 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-08-23)
I would never think your mad o know many parents don't believe their kids mine don't that pissed me off.
Maybe it was a lady that lived in that house and used to have her own swing were yours was but don't be afraid because if it was trying to scare you the fear inside you would give it more courge to scare you more so tacke care. 😁
NiNiNogginHead (33 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-23)
I don't think you're pathetic at all for not using that swing again. I wouldn't either. Though it doesn't seem like whatever that was wanted to hurt you.
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-23)
nobody here will call you crazy, most everyone here found this site for the same reason as you because when you tell someone they look at you funny and make sarcastic remarks or dismiss you as a nutcase. Thank you for sharing your story and please take some time to read some as well and share your opinion!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-23)
scarlet_island
I agree with adsouza. Your dog was watchful, attentive, and in your defense, I am happy to hear you did not ignore him. However, the danger signs were not readily apparent. From what you have shared about the incident, I would say there seems to be nothing to worry about. Unless you had experienced a radical shift in your own emotions as you were watching this occur, it may simply have been a residual image you were witnessing. A play back, if you will. Something that had occurred in that spot at a different age or year before you lived there, that has been recorded into the environment and is simply playing back as a video clip of sorts. Not an actual spirit, but a recorded image of a person from a time past.
I hope I haven't added to any confusion here.
Thank you for sharing,

Jav 😊
adsouza (guest)
+4
12 years ago (2012-08-22)
Bandit - Rottweiler.
You may be disturbed by the event my friend, but if your dog (Who ranks very high on the list) did not bark or react more violently, I see no reason for you to stilll carry the fear with you. It is perfectly normal to react the way you did. I am not qualified enough to tell you what the appparition was, but from the look of it, I can say it meant no harm...
H2olily (5 stories) (158 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-22)
I wish more parents would believe their kids. And you seem as sane as anyone else.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: