You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Personal Friendly Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

My Personal Friendly Ghost

 

My family moved to Pennsylvania when I was in 6th grade. About a two years after moving, I was woken up in the middle of the night by someone saying my name. It was a man's voice that I had never heard before, speaking from directly next to my head. He wasn't shouting or trying too hard to get my attention; he just said my name. It woke me up in a panic and as I looked around the room (I still had a nightlight up through high school) I did not see anyone there.

I managed to convince myself that it was just a trick of my mind, sometimes we hear things that aren't really there, and went back to sleep. Nothing happened for a while, I can't remember exactly how long. Then, the exact same thing happened again. It was the same voice, the same way. I thought it was strange and suspected it might be a ghost of some kind, but decided that if all it was doing was saying my name, then it wasn't going to do me any harm. I went back to sleep.

This happened a few times over the next few years. The incidents had nothing in common, there was no set amount of time between them, they seemed to be completely random. I spent half the time thinking I dreamed it all up and the other half of the time wondering what my personal ghost wanted that he kept waking me up in the middle of the night and disappearing.

Around 11th grade my father remarried and my step-family moved into our house. The room next door to mine, where my older brother had lived before moving out, was given to my step-sister, who kept very late hours even on school nights. I took to sleeping with ear plugs to block out the noise from her room. Since then, I did not hear the voice. I began to believe in it more and more, supposing that my ear plugs prevented me from hearing him.

I didn't think too much about it and began to forget about the strange nightly visits. I was accepted to college and left to live in the dorms. After a few weeks, I came home on the weekend for a visit.

My step-sister immediately asked me if I was aware that our house was haunted. Surprised, I asked her why she said that and she said that ever since I had left for college she had started hearing footsteps at night in my room and down the hall (all wooden floors). At first she thought she was dreaming but then her boyfriend stayed over and he heard it too. There was never anyone there when they checked, but every day for a week they heard it, like someone was walking around my room looking for something and then walking down the hall.

That night I tried to sleep without my ear plugs but I did not hear the voice. I think he stayed with me all through high school, although I did not hear him, and when I went to college he got lonely and went to find me. Since then neither I nor my step-sister have heard the ghost. I can only assume he moved on when he couldn't find me anymore.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, pegina, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-25)
Pegina,
Since you have not given much information concerning your "ghost" except to say that you have heard your name in your ear. You're step sister hearing footsteps and her boyfriend hearing the same it is hard to say what it was. It could have been a poltergeist as Rook suggested. But I would like to know more such as where in Pa. You live in. Was your house by a water source? Did you have a lot of crystal on your property? Why you kept a night light in your room through high school? Were you afraid of being alone in the house? Also have you ever had an imaginary friend before you started to hear your name? I ask this because a lot of little children can see ghosts until they are told over and over that they don't exist until they believe it themselves but that brings me back to the nightlight. Were you afraid of this voice?
It's really neither here nor there anymore as you say the spirit has left, but if it comes back please let us know.

Sincerely
Red
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-24)
arina - I'm not sure if you are being deliberately obtuse, or if you just don't get it. We do not, and will not, tolerate foul language such as you are displaying on this site. I have sent your latest comment to the administrator of the site for him to deal with your account.

I hope we soon will no longer see you here.
nastra (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-24)
hi rookdygin has got a point I suppose!
This is ougth to hPPEN IN TEENAGe but,
But pegina if you could just let out some more precise information it might help:)
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-24)
6th grade... You were 11/12? This may have been a poltergeist that 'manifested' by calling your name... It may have also been a voice in your dreams... But your state of conciseness when it happened in your dream caused you to think you 'heard' a voice in your room and woke you up.

I still 'feel' that a poltergeist is the 'better' explanation... How old was your step sister when you moved to college? My guess is she was 15-17 years old? Again her 'poltergeist' manifested as footsteps in your room and in the hallway.

In both cases this 'form' of activity is based the energy an individual produces as their body goes through puberty. Sometimes an 'entity' is attracted to this energy and other times it's a 'natural release' of energy from our physical body during this time of change and development.

Just my opinion. 😁

Please ask any questions you may have and thanks for sharing.

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: