You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: Demon In The Basement And A Phantom Car

Real Ghost Stories

Demon In The Basement And A Phantom Car

 

April 2012

Vincennes, IN

In April 2012, I went down to Vincennes University to visit my friends, Nicki, Moho, Dani and a few others, as well as my boyfriend, Zach. We had all gone to a concert, Eric Church and Brantley Gilbert (some of my favorites:) ) the night before and were just hanging out when some of us came up with the great idea to go ghost hunting. One of the girls, Erica, even had some equipment, basically an EMF reader, a temperature gage and a voice recorder. So Nicki, Dani, Erica and I (all the girls, one heck of a girls night haha) decided to go to an abandon Tuberculosis hospital that's close to campus. Students break in and explore it all the time, all but one window into the basement are boarded up. Nicki and I are both sensitive, she has prophetic dreams and I've had many experiences with the deceased coming and speaking to me in dreams, the other two are avid ghost hunters; however this was Nicki and my first experience actually seeking out the paranormal.

I had a bad gut feeling when we drove up in Dani's Buick... The hospital loomed at three stories and a basement. I was nervous to say the least, Nicki and I exchanged glances, she was nervous too. But there was definite excitement too, after all, who knows what could happen? The four of us pulled up, got the equipment ready, which was basically Erica speaking into the voice recorder saying the date, time and that we were entering through the basement. We crawled in over the broken glass and there was a chair placed beneath the window. Dani and Erica had both been before, Dani described the layout, both the left and right side of the building had staircases leading all the way from bottom to top, so we would do a zig zag pattern all through the building, covering it fully. We stood near the dim light from the window and Nicki and I were both staring at the left side of the basement, we were nearest to the right. I couldn't shake something bad was in that left corner. Nicki seemed transfixed by it as well, but I didn't say anything.

The four of us walked in a straight line up to the first floor, since we had come in through the basement. Once we got onto the first floor Dani decided to give us the low down on what most people catch on their recorders and the spirits of the place. She started off by saying a little boy and little girl run from the first floor all the way to the third. But a demon lived in the basement, specifically he left side. Which explained why I was so drawn, because it was a strong entity. Nothing really happened throughout the top three floors, and its mostly just empty rooms but there was a strong sense of stress and tension. Nicki and I walked out onto the roof and both felt an intense relief wash over us. But we had to go back to the basement to get out, something neither of us wanted to do. Walking down the left side of the building from the third floor, a knot built in my stomach.

We finally got to the basement and the window seemed so far away. Then Erica and Dani, who didn't seem nervous or anything, found the lower level to the basement. It was about three or four steps down from the regular basement and of course on the left side. Nicki, who was bringing up the rear, was the last to step down into the lower basement and immediately the hair on the back of my neck stood up. I heard footsteps coming from the very back corner of the basement, behind us. No one else had been up there and we would have seen their car or heard them come in. Suddenly the battery to the EMF, voice recorder and Erica's cellphone died. She had been using her phone as a light and it had full charge before stepping into the lower basement. So she spoke into the voice recorder saying "Okay, we're taking that as a sign you want us to leave, so we are going now."

Well we headed back to Moho's apartment, where the sone of the boys decided they wanted to go to the hospital. Nicki and I refused to go back in and just took some pictures of the outside of the building while several of the guys (Zach, Mark, Dustin and another guy I don't know) and Dani and Erica went back in for another investigation. We could see their lights going from room to room and had walkie talkies with Mark. So we kept in contact with him and the rest of the group. Nicki and I could watch them once they got up on the second floor, basically just see their lights. We saw all of them walk down the steps to go back into the basement after they had been through the building and about two minutes after them came another light. We asked Mark via walkie talkie if they were all together, and no one had separated. Then they tried to get a rise out of whatever was in the basement and asked it a bunch of questions.

At this point Zach and Dustin walked away from the group toward the back corner of the basement where I'd heard the footsteps. They both later recounted having the same feeling of being watched at the same time. When they all came out, Zach had a large scratch on his stomach, and once he and I were away from everyone, he swore he heard someone whispering to him that his grandma had been a terrible person when she was alive. (She died 8 years ago, only Zach and I knew that plus no one was near Dustin and Zach) The boys then decided to walk around the woods because they hadn't had enough or something. Zach, Mark, Dustin and the other guy were walkie talkie-ing with Nicki and I when Mark got serious (something that never happens) and he was saying there was an odd glow of lots and lots of eyes. Too tall for an animal and too small for a human, now these boys are all hunters and aren't afraid of the woods. We made a speedy getaway.

Then the boys decided they still hadn't had enough. And we headed out to Purple Head Bridge, and although I'm not sure the exact story, there are lots of them, they all have to do with a cult. So Nicki and I are following Mark's ford truck, and we are pretty sure Dani's Buick is behind us. Well once we get close to the truck in front of us, we realize its not the boys because its a white truck and Mark's is blue. So we pass. No big deal right? We then see the Buick speeding up and still don't think anything of it. Before we know it we realize we're lost, but know that we're maybe two roads over from the bridge. So we call the boys and say that Dani is following us and we're all lost. But then Dani gets on the phone. The Buick that had been behind us then sped around the truck going probably 90 around a blind curve. Nicki and I start to freak out. Theres no where to turn and no houses, just empty corn and soybean fields. The boys took off to come looking for us and we started shining the spotlight we had to try and get their attention, and the Buick kept trying to get closer and closer to us.

After awhile they are right on our tail. No where to turn off and the road turns to gravel, so we had to slow down or wreck. They kept getting closer, then they backed off and disappeared. No taillights. No where to turn around, no roads to turn off onto. These are basically farm access roads, and we would have seen them drive away had they turned somewhere because the crops were just planted and very small. The boys also couldn't find us and somehow we ended up 15 miles outside of Vincennes with no idea how we got there, Nicki knew the roads well and had been driving. It still gives me chills to think about the phantom car.

Other hauntings by shamby

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, shamby, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-27)
shamby: Well, I think for me, it would have just been to be a smarta$$ 😆...Kind of a tension breaker because that was pretty intense!...

As far as the phantom car, yeah, those are spooky...I've never had the experience, but several others here have, including Aussiedaz...

I really enjoyed reading your experience, thank you for posting! ❤
shamby (15 stories) (100 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-27)
zzgranny:

She spoke to it just because. We knew whatever was there was listening so she said it anyway.

It wasn't Waverly Hills. I'm not sure it even has a name to be honest and if it does none of the girls I was with knew it. Its around Vincennes Indiana, right of the Vincennes University campus. Literally right off of it, not even five minutes.

I'll look up some info on the phantom car... But as far as I know there hasn't been anything or any other reports of the same phenomena in that location.
arina (20 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-08-26)
You know I have heard the story about a place that you said it's similar just give me a bit more info and I'll be able to tell. 😐
AyAsantex33 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-26)
Was you at Waverly Hills Sanitorium or no? Because that's the most horrifying story i've heard
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-25)
granny,
"gits and shiggles"? 😆 😆 😆

Yer killin' me Smalls!

Jav

5050505050
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-25)
shamby: I'm pretty sure this is a mistake, but just for gits and shiggles, could you please clarify:

"Suddenly the battery to the EMF, voice recorder and Erica's cellphone died. She had been using her phone as a light and it had full charge before stepping into the lower basement. So she spoke into the voice recorder saying "Okay, we're taking that as a sign you want us to leave, so we are going now." "

Was your friend just talking into the recorder, well, just because?...I ask because it's something I would do, too😆 😆
Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-25)
Shamby,

Phantom car stories are one of my favourites, though I'm sure very scary for you at the time. Is there any way of researching whether a car you describe had a tragic end where you witnessed it or maybe it had something to do with the hospital?

Thanks for sharing,

Lakota73
😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: