You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Experiences In An Old Orphanage

Real Ghost Stories

Experiences In An Old Orphanage

 

Early this year I started a cleaning job at a high school to get by until I found another job. Every cleaner had their own specific areas of the school where they cleaned. Mine was an old creaky building what looked like a big old house. You can see where this is going already.

The house is old around maybe a couple of 100 years. Apparently it was an orphanage before the whole school was built.

The house has four floors: the basement which is always locked, only the caretaker has the key.

The ground floor which has three classrooms. This was the children's classrooms in the orphanage.

The first floor has a classroom, toilets, kitchen and teachers offices. This used to be the children's bedrooms.

And the second floor which is gated off and locked at the bottom of the stairs. This used to be the priests/teachers bedroom. (The school is a Catholic school.)

Before I started my shift, I always unlocked the doors to make it easier for me to get around. Not all of them were open, but they were unlocked.

There was a lot of days when I was the only person in the house because all the teachers had finished and left to go home. These two events was one of those days.

I was downstairs cleaning and I was near the bottom of the stairs. I heard a door slam shut and LOCK upstairs. I would have understood if the door had just slammed shut, because a window may have been open, or a doorstop may have come loose. But I know that after the door had slammed, I distinctively heard it lock!

I went back upstairs to investigate and tested all the doors, a couple were wide open, but the one's that weren't, were unlocked. I knew that no one was in the building because I had checked every single door and room.

Another time was this: I used to listen to my mp3 player while at work so I wasn't sure exactly what happened.

Again this is another time when I was the only person in the building. I went into one of the teachers offices to hoover, dragging the little Henry with me along the way. As soon as I walked into the room I heard a man's deep voice. I don't know what the words were or even if it was just a sound, because I had my music playing in my ears, which I'm sort of disappointed about because if I hadn't had my music on, I might have known what the noise was and if it was definitely in the room and not outside. But, I am so sure that it came from in the room. And it was a male's voice.

As soon as I heard it, I paused with the little Henry Hoover, turned around and said "F**k that" and headed straight out of the room. That is how sure I was that it was a male's voice in the room.

Other times in the house I've always had the feeling of being watched. I hated when I was in the building alone because of that, but I was completely fine if a teacher or caretaker was in there with me. As I said in my first story, I am completely fine to experience things when I'm with at least one other person. They don't even have to be near me, they can be in a different room, but as long as they are in the same place.

I'm not too concerned about it just thought I'd share it and your views would be appreciated.

Other hauntings by RabbitHeartedGirl

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RabbitHeartedGirl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

RabbitHeartedGirl (2 stories) (19 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-28)
Maybe you have a point there Jav. It did give me a story to tell and even though I didn't actually see anything I did experience something which is what I have been wanting. I like hearing people's ghost stories and now I have a couple of my own to tell.

Bribri, no I don't work there anymore but I really wanted to bring one of my friends along who is interested in the paranormal just like I am. Only she's a bit braver than me. It's just a shame there isn't a Bring Your Friend To Work Day, otherwise we would have had a lot of experiences in that old house.

Xx
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-28)
RabbitHeartedGirl,
You said it yourself, the age of the building is a huge factor. Then, considering what it was used for, and knowing the orphanages of the past were not the happiest of places, it's almost a given that the place would carry some trace of it's past. Whether it be residual or intelligent, you would almost have to expect it. I know it's eerie and all, but it did leave you with a good experience to tell about. And sometimes you have to wonder if that wasn't the point all along. Maybe it wanted the story told?

Jav 😊
Bribri97 (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-28)
Do you still work there? If so, I would do a paranormal investigation there. Maybe you can get a few answers from them.
RabbitHeartedGirl (2 stories) (19 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-28)
Hey Javelina

I was quite disappointed that I didn't actually see anything even though I would have freaked if I did. But there are stories that a women haunts the first floor (the room with the teachers offices) and I only found that out on the last week of my job. I'm quite wary of the stories though because people tend to be good liars or can run away with their own imagination, so I'm not entirely sure.
Thanks for reading my story.

Xx 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-28)
RabbitHeartedGirl,
Work place hauntings are some of my favorite ones to read. The thing is, you can feel the presence. And yes, I agree with you, it's much easier to handle when you are not alone.

Thank you for sharing.

Jav 😊
RabbitHeartedGirl (2 stories) (19 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-27)
Noooo it didn't lock me in. I heard a door upstairs slam shut and lock while I was downstairs. Sorry if I didn't explain that properly.
I didn't think it was there to hurt me just probably going through its regular routines, but it was still scary.
And maybe your right, maybe my own paranoia took over with the feeling of being watched but who knows?
I don't work there anymore though I have a new job. The last time I worked in that building was June 12.

Xx
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-27)
The sound of the door slamming is likely phantom noise, a residual phenomenon not associated with an actual intelligent presence. The voice could be residual too, but it's hard to evaluate it given that you were listening to music at the time. As for feeling that you are being watched, this could be due to naturally occurring electro-magnetic fields or because you are already feeling spooked and uneasy when alone. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Sounds like it's just an energetic old building that's seen lots of life in its time.
WeirdnFreaky (7 stories) (21 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-27)
Creepy! I hate old buildings because they freak me out a bit. I agree with Aeloua though because if it is mischevious or curious you may end up getting hurt.
Good Luck and Great experience though!
AelouaOfTheClouds (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-27)
It seems the ghost may be curious, or mischievous, for locking you in. However, if this contenues or 'happenings' seem to increase in 'size' [Say, push you down a flight of staires, instead of just locking you in], you may want to consider a change in jobs.

Best of Luck to You, RabbitHeartedGirl.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: