You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: An Experience In Almora

Real Ghost Stories

An Experience In Almora

 

Location - Pandey Khola, Almora, Uttranchal, India

Date - October, 1999

I have read many stories at this website and often wondered why some people have many unique experiences of coming across ghosts or spirit and often others are non-believers in such things.

I reflected at my own memory lane and recalled some of these experiences when something happened and I do not have scientific explanation behind it. This is first of my experience which I can still clearly recall what happened during those three days spent in very old ancestral house of my friend at Pande Khola, Almora.

This happened during my 2nd year of college time when I was of 19 years in age. Anirban, I and Rahul were very close friends during college time. Often, we used to assemble at Anirban's house whenever we three used to bunk college. Both of Anirban's parents were working, hence his house used to be ideal place for us to hang out together. Anirban was a Bengali, however his nature at some time was unpredictable. Rahul on other hand was originally from Almora which was a small town situated at high altitude in Uttar Pradesh province of India at time when this incident happened. However today that town is in Uttaranchal province.

As stated above Rahul was originally from Almora; however, all his family including his parents and sibling at that time was staying in Noida. Noida is Satellite Township located very next to Delhi which is capital city of India. Rahul had old ancestral house located in this Pande Khola part of Almora which is actually almost 5 km away from main Almora city. For those who have been to these places will understand that these kind of hilly towns are very sparsely located and areas outside city are full of wild animals and one should not wander after evening.

One day Rahul described us about his ancestral house. House was basically two storey wooden house which was constructed somewhere around early 1920. Upper storey was totally empty, however ground floor had caretaker who used to live there along with his family. Part which got us excited was that upper storey also has a section which was actually locked through holy mantras by priest back in 1960 was never opened. Belief was that section being haunted.

We planned a holiday trip to Almora which has lot of old temples to see and is very good holiday destination to relax and rejuvenate. As explained we were students and hence we required a place to stay vs staying in hotels which will cost us lot of money which we never had. We requested Rahul's father to allow us to stay in upper storey of that ancestral house for a week. His father warned us not to be very curious and never open that locked section in any situation however we can stay in the house. He gave us letter for caretaker who will then take care of our food and other basic necessities during our stay.

We three took late night bus from ISBT Delhi during one of day during October month in 1999. By almost 5am bus reached Haldwani. This place is last place in plains before climb actually starts to mountain area and required to shift to smaller kind of bus which can turn in steep narrow mountain roads. Any way we reached Almora by late morning. We had good breakfast in main Almora city in one restaurant which is famous for its dosas (south Indian delicacy). Rahul's house was almost 5 km away from main city in outskirts and almost 2 hr walk; however, weather was nice around 8-9 degrees Celsius and we decided to walk instead of looking for jeep which can drop us on way to other cities in Kumaon area.

We reached his house around late afternoon and rested as we were dead tired due to long travel. We had good dinner arranged by caretaker's family and slept well through the night. Next morning we went to Almora city for site-seeing and saw few temples and came back by early evening. One thing to note that during winter month's places like Almora are very dark by almost 5 pm so any travel from Pande Khola to Almora or vice versa have to be done thinking that in mind. We had no television in the house and pretty much nothing to do except chit chat for evening in that house.

We clearly remembered what Rahul's father has told us about old section; however, by third day morning curiosity got better of us and we opened sealed section which was locked using very old rusted lock and around lock had pictures of Hindu deities. We went inside section and found one kitchen constructed in very old style and a door to open another sealed room which we also opened and found one very old trunk and found some clothes which were in very condition due to time. We spent almost close to 1.5 hours inside that sealed section and nothing happened at all. We had new locks so we locked inside room and main section again and then added back pictures of deities over locks again.

By this time it was almost late afternoon and Rahul was combing my hairs looking at mirror. Just to remind that during that time all three of us had very long hairs, not usual for guys however we were victim of latest fashion during those college days. Since we had long hairs, combing activity was not that easy. During this time Anirban and I was both sitting in ground floor lawn. Rahul saw someone waving in mirror and he thought either I or Anirban were playing pranks and hence he scolded us reminding that we also have long hairs like him, so what's big deal. After his shouting I commented from downstairs about Rahul talking with himself since both Anirban and I were downstairs and there was no one else to talk to.

Anyway Rahul could not understand reason behind what he saw in mirror and decided to ignore, thinking that he must be imagining things. However, almost around 5 pm I saw one hand which was cut up to elbow flying near door of that sealed section and it was almost like hand flying in air without any body at all. I screamed in fear and other two looked at my face which was pale in fear and I was shivering like I was in trance. Anirban and Rahul both shook me which took me out of my trance. By this time we decided to vacate the house and go to main Almora city. It was very dark outside and not safe to travel due to fear of wild animals; however, what happened during that single day was too much for us to bear. We walked in dark without any light to main Almora city and reached city about 8 pm and decided to stay in Rahul's relatives' place for another 4 days.

Another thing happened during that trip due to which I still remember this incident very clearly. During 4th evening Anirban started beating me without any explainable reason. We all were very surprised and thought it has to do with Anirban's unpredictable behavior; however, we were very close friends and there was not a proper reason to explain his erratic behavior. As I mentioned that Almora had many temples to see, so we decided to complete our site seeing before to depart for Ranikhet for last day of the trip. However, Anirban skipped all temple trips and told Rahul that he has no mood to go anywhere. Anirban and I never talked again in life up to today. However, Rahul and I still are much closed friends and we talk frequently.

Not sure what exactly happened to Anirban which turned him atheist instantly which he never was in past.

Other hauntings by VijaySachan

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, VijaySachan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

VijaySachan (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-07)
raj89m - We can draw that conclusion how he behaved but time has changed and Anirban is doing great career wise and life wise. We have never spoken to each other in life after that but recently approved connections in Linkedin.
VijaySachan (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-07)
Tanmay - Sorry for such late reply. I have not logged in for months. Very busy in other spheres of life. What details you would like to know? As mentioned in my narration that this place is ancestral home of my good friend who lives in Noida. I am in Malaysia from last 7 plus years.
raj89m (21 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-08)
Now, this might sound strange but I can say for sure that Anirban could be possessed. Like you mention about the incident when he started to hit you for no explainable reason and him refusing to enter holy places. What else could it be? I wish I could meet Anirban.
stalker_wizard (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-17)
Dear Friend,

Thanks for such a Narration. I am a resident of Almora and was born there. I work at Nainital now, but Pandey Khola is very near to my place can you give more detailed account. Hit me up on mail if you like too.

With Regards

Tanmay
VijaySachan (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-28)
Surya,

Let me answer you one by one.

First of all, you need to read it properly to understand. Looks like you like to understand what is in your mind vs. What is written.

Place was locked by Priests throuh holy ceremony so that no spirit or ghost can come out of that section. I never said that it was holy place used by priests for their ceremony or any worship.

You get me now or not. I really hope you do. Place was locked so that nothing can come out or no one should enter it. You need to visit Almora in order to really understand.

If you really do not believe then I cannot do anything about it. But your believing or not believing will not change fact. Peace.
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2012-10-26)
What a bizarre story. I am still trying to get my head around it.

Please explain: In your story you state "Part which got us excited was that upper storey also has a section which was actually locked through holy mantras by priest back in 1960 was never opened".

That's great it was used by Priests for their holy ceramonies. Where did the arm and the hand come from, where did the face in the mirror come from. Why would a room used for holy worship be locked. Surely any sacred place would be kept clean and kept open. I have never heard of such nonsense.

Then you guys broke the locks and had a wonder around and found old school clothes. But sherr coincidence you had locks to replace the broken locks. Ok

To say your friend got possessed, and started to beat you, when you have already stated he sometimes acted rationally.

Bit hard to believe for me anyway.
crusader (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-26)
Hi Vijay,
I been to Almora a few years back. Strangely, I heard of a similar story from a resident of Almora who happened to be our host and friend of my dad.
Seems both are falling in place. They details with which you narrated the experience is great.
Also, for Anirban, trust me brother, he got possessed and that is the reason for his getting violent with you and turning atheist.
I will certainly advice you against visiting this place again with your wife or other family members
Regards
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-31)
DARKNESS,

There is no way I'd let this one get by without hollering out for you. Until you mentioned the bathroom at your Grandparents house, I had all but forgotten that part. Now I can't get the image of your girlfriend running out of there with her hair half done and mad as heck! Good one Danny Boy!

Jav 😁
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-31)
Hey Jav, thanks for pointing this out to me and wow yes very similar the arm and hand etc but also the section told not to go into it reminded me of my grandmothers house the bathroom which was not meant to be used. Hahaha curiosity gets the better of most people though doesn't it lol! 😆

Dan
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-31)
Hey DARKNESS!
You have to read this one!
There is something here you are going to recognize, Big Time!

Jav 😁
VijaySachan (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-29)
Dear SDS,

Thanks for your comment. I have to call Rahul to enquire if anything occured after this. However no has dared to stay at upper floor since that last incident.

I will call Rahul tomorrow to check what has happened in last 13 years.

VJ
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-29)
Hi Vijay, nice narration and I know how you must have felt when you saw the hand. What was the reaction of Rahul's parents? Well, I will tell you, I am from Tamilnadu, Southern Part of India, certain things cannot be explained in rational and scientific manner. In one of my stories, I told about as to how a priest, who was not much educated academically, could find out what was responsible for young calf dying as soon as they were born. There are still methods to tame the spirits, control them and banish them. So, it is better to leave such things unexplored than venturing into unchartered terrorities without actually knowing what is in store for us. Now that you don't speak to Anirban, what is he doing now? How is he? Is he alright? If it is not too personal, you can share the information.

Are there any further experiences after you have opened the locked section. Did any untoward things happen, well Rahul must have heard, which the caretaker might have informed Rahul's family. If any, please tell us.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
VijaySachan (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-29)
Nikki - Thanks for your comment.

We did enquire reason behind that section being haunted. Explanation given to us was one of Rahul's uncle elder to Rahul's father by many years was in INA (Indian National Army) and actually a freedom fighter fighting for Indian Indepedence back in late 1940s. Clothes which we found in old trunk was of those worn by British army during late 1940s. He was even declared dead at one point of time however he returned back after Indian Independence in 1947.

I never really wanted to mention this British connection to this story however I had to tell the truth.

Family suspect actual reasons to be some incidents which happened there between freedom fighters and British Soldiers. However not much is known because it happened so many years ago. Rahul's grandmother probably knew however she was way too old in 1999 to be asked such questions. She rests in peace however today.
SnoWQueeN (5 stories) (100 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-29)
Hi Vijay,

The arm freaked me out! Interesting account though. Didn't you all try to find out who and why the thing was locked in the room? I think that the spirit was evil so he/she had to be banished forever before you people released it. Good spirit doesn't have to be banished. Right?

As I know Priests perform their mantras to banish the spirit because they try to harm the people. So was that the reason this thing was locked? That happens a lot here in my country, catching an evil spirit in bottles and throws it into the sea.

I am really curious to know whether anything happened after the release of the spirit.

Thank you for sharing this story😊

~Nikky❤
VijaySachan (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-28)
Hi Jav,

Thanks for your comments and link for other story which I will read it later.

First for your questions
1. What did I learn - Before that incident I have heard from friends and family members that spirits or ghosts exist but this experience is first of my those memories which are not faded much due to time. This one is kind of confirmation to me that these things are present in another realm.
2. About his parents - If I recall correctly they learnt about it later through relatives whose place we stayed at almora city. Relatives wondered why we stayed there because one of Rahul's cousion has stayed at that place for free for month almost a year ago before this incident when he got a new job in city and needed a place to stay but he had weird experiences and had to leave place even though it was for free.
3.I do not recall having any coversation with caretaker regarding all this and them having any experience. However they knew about upper floor. I need to ask Rahul whether anyone noticed anything recently.
4. Yes, they still own the house and I do plan to visit there once atleast with my wife.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-28)
VijaySachan,
This all sounds very frightening. I don't like the thought of seeing something in the mirror that isn't there when you turn around, that is scary. But what you saw with the arm waving around not attached to a body is even scarier still! There is another story here that was about that very same thing and it was written by one of our long time members that we all trust. You should check it out, it is a lot like what you saw. Here's a link to it.

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=14362

We got into joking around in the comment section of that story, but I still believe every word of it.

~I knew you guys wouldn't be able to stop yourselves from going in that section of the house, but it is sad about Anirban and him becoming an atheist afterward. However, you were warned not to do it. And it was locked too. My questions are:
Did you learn your lesson from this experience?
Did Rahuls parents ever find out about what you guys had done?
What about the caretaker and his family? Were they bothered by these spirits after that?
And do his parents still own the house?
This was a very interesting account of your experiences, thank you for sharing.

Jav 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: