You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Psychic / Medium :: Visitors at Night

Real Ghost Stories

Visitors at Night

 

I appreciate being able to share the following experiences (the most recent from last night), which have puzzled me since childhood. The scene usually unfolds in the following way: Sometime during the night I wake up to see a figure standing at the side of my bed. Rather than being a shadowy, indistinct figure, as described in other posts on this site, the figures appear as quite distinct, with memorable features.

For instance, one time I awoke to see a teenaged girl, with a round face and dark, wavy, shoulder-length hair, standing on the opposite side of the bed staring at me. She raised her hand slowly and I noticed that she was holding a lit cigarette. To my horror, she put the lit tip of the cigarette to her neck to burn herself. I jumped up from pure fright and she was gone.

Another time I awoke to see a small blonde-haired girl standing at the opposite side of the bed. She grabbed the bedcovers and pulled them back as though she intended to climb into the bed. I jumped up and she was gone. Another time I woke up and saw a teenaged boy standing in the room. There was nothing remarkable about him except his distinctly red, wavy hair. Another time I woke to see an older gentleman with longish gray hair, wearing a nightshirt and holding a candle in a candleholder.

There have been a few occasions when I have awakened to see cloaked figures by the bedside (only one at a time, not in a group). The figures typically have dark robes, although one time I saw a figure in a white robe. I find these figures more frightening, because in these instances, I cannot clearly see facial features.

There have been two times when I have woken up to see a figure with a very short stature - one time crouched on the corner of my bed and dressed in black, and another time standing at the bedside wearing a strange sort of outfit that included a hat.

I have to admit that I am not brave enough to try and communicate with these figures, as others have done who've posted their experiences on this site. In fact, I am terrified of them - so much so that I have jumped out of bed and run clear out of the room and down the hall in a panic.

Another thing I do (which is what I did last night when I woke to see the figure of a man standing on the opposite side of the bed) is grab my pillow and start swinging at the figure. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it is an automatic response. I woke this morning to find all the picture frames from the bedside table scattered onto the floor because of my defensive "attack" with the pillow during the night.

I want to clarify that these nighttime sightings and visits have happened since childhood and happen wherever I happen to be living. In other words, they don't appear to be "place related". In fact, my home does not feel haunted at all - it feels quite clear and peaceful. But my sleep is often disturbed by this host of characters who seem to appear with no discernable pattern.

I know a woman who analyzes dream symbols from a Jungian perspective. She theorizes that these figures are aspects of me that I am projecting and need to integrate. I don't want to close myself off to any possible explanation, even this one, but these beings feel very distinct from me and not at all like projections.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? It would be very helpful to know the details of your experience. Thank you.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Helena, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-09-28)
It sounds as if you have medium qualities. These entitys appear to be seeking you out for a reason. I would venture to say for help. Helping them, even though you are frightened, may be as simple as telling them to cross to the light and go in peace. Say a prayer for them while you are seeing them and if they vanish before your eyes, finish the prayer. Having a Bible at your bed side and reading a Bible verse for them may be a catalyst to their finding peace as well, even the (especially the hooded figures) to find the peace and sanctuary that they appear to be seeking. I may be off base but analyzing your dreams does not seem to be the point, something awakes you to see the entitys, it would appear that they need your assistance and are drawn to you for a reason.

GOd Bless!
Helena (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-06)
Hi melonlover,

Thanks for your responses. I'll answer both your questions here: first, my posting was a condensed version of some of my experiences. In other words, there is a time span between manifestations that can range from weeks to months (thank goodness!).

Second, these manifestations have happened since childhood and have occurred in all different locations--regardless of who may be in the room or nearby.

Thanks for your interest. Take care.
Helena (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-06)
Hi Ewash:

I appreciate your well-balanced perspective on all things paranormal. While there is certainly so much in our experience that is "unexplained," I also like to avoid drifting into the nonsensical.

At your suggestion, I quickly goggled paranormal energy portal. I think what you are saying is that, instead of defaulting to some complex and bizarre theory about an energy vortex, experiences such as the ones I describe can be simply characterized as a person attracting certain energies.

So, on to my specific question: what is your theory as to why certain individuals attract these energetic manifestations -- and how does it relate to early trauma? I think I may already have some ideas on this, but I’d really appreciate hearing the results of your research.

Also, if you could include a description of some of the incidents your friend has experienced... That would be great.

Thanks again!
melonlover (3 stories) (50 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-06)
Oh yeah 1 more thing have you ever tried sleeping some where else and did they still follow you? Love, the melon lover
melonlover (3 stories) (50 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-06)
Wow! I feel sorry for you having to put with that has there ever been a night where you haven't had this happen to you? Love, the melon lover
ewash (2 stories) (20 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-05)
Helena, when I speak of energy portal, it is not the same nonsensical phenomenon many whacko sites out there make it to be. Just google paranormal energy portal and you'll see what I mean.
Instead, I refer to energy in its purest form. For some reason, you may have the ability to attract these types of energetic manifestations. I have found through my research and experience that a lot of what we experience is NOT the same ole thing all the time. For example, many folks believe "orbs" are ghostly manifestations - however, I believe and I say believe because (I have never been able to do any type of scientific study on "valid orbs")
that an orb is free energy transitioning or (coupling)to a different state. The fact that they "seem" to be witnessed where paranormal activity is situated may very well be because there are other things transitioning/coupling to different statess as well... Ie. Personalities, ghosts, spirits, etc.

I know this was just one piece of a much, much larger puzzle I have pieced together - but I simply cannot write everything I know and believe about this topic here as it would soon become a large, cumbersome book. 😁 Ask me something more direct and I may be able to answer in a much shorter and more precise manner. Thanks!
Helena (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-04)
Hello Enchantee:

Thanks so much for the link. I checked out the web site and read much of the documentation from Kimberly. It was both fascinating and disturbing. I am so grateful that I am not experiencing anything of the magnitude that she and her family endure.

Again, it appears that Kimberly's issue is solidly "place related" -- as she is living on land that was once the site of some Civil War skirmishes. However, she does speculate about the fact that these paranormal happenings seem to "follow" her.

If anyone else has any other links or information related to paranormal experiences that seem to be "person" rather than strictly "place" related, or occurring in conjunction with the energy portal idea as a result of early trauma... I would much appreciate the info.

Thanks again.
Helena (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-02)
Hi Ed:

Thanks for your thoughtful response. This concept of an energetic portal is fascinating. It sounds like you have put a great deal of research into it. I would appreciate learning more about it if you have the time to explain it--or perhaps you can refer me to some literature?

You are also on the mark about the childhood trauma. I was a highly sensitive child living in an environment with ongoing stress, punctuated by episodes of danger and violence. I was a "sickly" child and teenager as a result. This is also where my fears originated.

As for the daytime manifestations, they are too numerous to list, but maybe I can boil them down here with a general sketch:

I have found myself in "haunted" spaces on many occasions--places that have had high levels of paranormal activity. The manifestations have taken all forms, but the visual episodes are typically characterized by me walking into a room and seeing a form standing there, usually distinct enough for me to ascertain the gender and relative age of the entity. Sometimes I am able to glimpse the entity directly; other times, it will appear in the classic “corner of my eye” form and disappear when I look directly at it. Other times I have seen entities like this coming down stairways or just sitting, sometimes looking at me, sometimes not. Interestingly, these manifestations appear less distinct than the nighttime visitors.

There are certain times when I am in areas that don't seem to have a high level of activity, but I may see an entity passing through, a whitish formation. This happens a lot in my family home and I suspect that these may be relatives dropping by. Another tidbit I want to add is that my mother experiences some of these same phenomena.

This may be trailing onto another subject, but there have been times when I have been in a place with a high level of activity where I can hear the negative or fear-based thoughts of certain entities.

For instance, while helping remodel an old farmhouse in which there was lots of activity, I heard a discussion (not audibly, but more internally) in which much anger was expressed about a new sign being put up on the front lawn. The new owner was outside taking down the old sign with the original name of the farm on it. I was watching through the window as he put up the new sign with the new name. The conversation was along the lines of, “Who does he think he is? How dare he put that sign up. That’s not the name of this farm!”

Any insights are welcomed and appreciated—especially about the energy portal. Thanks so much.
Helena (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-02)
Hello Shane,

What you describe about the smudge ceremonies, etc, makes sense. I have employed these methods myself in places where I have experienced daytime manifestations or place-related hauntings. While I have no proof that it helped souls cross over, it has certainly cleared and lightened these spaces. When I do a ceremony like this before bed, the nighttime visitations are far less likely to happen--although it is not foolproof.

At first, I was thinking that you were referring to a direct communication with the spirits, guiding them in some way. I know I would not be comfortable with that--at least not now. But I have heard that people with advanced skills in this area can be of service in this way.

Your advice has been very useful to me. I have sensed the fear adding "fuel to the fire" in cases where the entities have been of a lower frequency--and the fear doesn't do much good in other instances, either.

Thank you for your words of encouragement!
ewash (2 stories) (20 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-02)
Helena, I had a friend who experienced many of the things you mentioned. I ask you the following question not to pry but rather to help you assimilate all of these occurances.

Do you recall anything about your childhood that created undue hardship or trama upon yourself?

One of the many reasons I ask is because in the many cases I have reviewed there was usually something amiss in childhood that created this "energetic portal"; sometimes overlooked, sometimes forgotten - even purposely.

In at least one regard, the dream analyist may not be far from the mark although I am not convinced that person is exactly correct either.

Also, please give more detailed info on the daytime manifestations - they hold more (and some needed)insight. Very interesting case.

By the way I somewhat agree with Shane in that you should try as hard as you can to overcome the fear. It is KEY.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-01)
Helpping them to cross or be released from an area in which they are trapped can be as simple as having a blessing performed or a smudge ceremony and asking the divine to help those spirits that are troubled or trapped to cross over into his/her enternal love. I also believe you can over come your fear and be able to help these souls. Remember the ones with not so good intentions are the ones who need your fear so that they can feed off your energy. No fear, no energy, no negative entities. I hope that I have been able to help you.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Helena (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-01)
Hi Athena,

Thank you so much for your words. I have never set up a tape for EVP or a video, but you have given me a wonderful idea. I have a friend who is technically minded, and I think she could help me set something like this up.

It made me feel not-so-strange to know that ghosts scare you, too. Your experience of having tuned out these energies for a time and then tuned them back in is fascinating and something I have never thought of. Maybe that could be true for me, too.

When you say that you have decided to tune them back in, is it because you feel that you can be of service to them?

Thanks again,
Helena
Helena (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-01)
Hello Shane,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my experiences. Your observation about why these visits happen at night sounds right on the mark.

I have indeed had other visions during waking hours, but those seem to be more in conjunction with location hauntings. That being said, maybe these visions are all of a similar nature. In other words, maybe "hauntings" needn't be location related if we simply define them as contact with another realm?

If these spirits are indeed seeking help, I only hope to build the courage to one day answer the call. I have to admit that a couple years ago, while helping a contractor friend remodel an old farmhouse house in which there was a high level of paranormal activity, a woman's voice come from right next to me, plainly asking me for help. I had sensed a putrid kind of entity lurking in that house and suspected that others were being held "hostage" there, including this female entity.

It would have been the perfect opportunity to help. Not to sound like a complete chicken, but instead of sticking around, I ran from the house and into the yard, where my friend found me pale and shaking. I think what I get from your post is that I can get over this fear. Have you had the experience of helping these types of spirits cross over?

Thank you again,
Helena
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-31)
Hi Helena, You are a very receptive person spiritually, and these spirits are drawn to you for guidence or because they recognize you will see them. Also why not experiment? Have you set up a tape for EVP before you sleep or kept a video? That may not help you, or it may help you figure out what you can do to control thier appearences. I wonder if you are a lot like me in the way you are receptive, but ghosts usually scare you. They usually scare me. The only time I have been completely impervious to recieving them was during a time of immense strength and personal growth. I had become psychically tuned into only my needs. My ESP abilities tuned out everything else at that time. That only reverted back because I wanted it to. Would it be true for you?
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-31)
Helena, you have a gift from the divine and for some reason these spirits are drawn to you as a moth to the flame. The reason I believe it happens to you when you are a sleep is as I have stated in other post here, your defenses are down and it allows them to communicate with you. You should also be able to have these same visions while you are awake if you allow your mind to become quite and do meditation practises. You have nothing to fear from these individuals as they obviously are seeking you out for possible help. Maybe help in crossing over. Take the time and speak with them, see what they have to say. Help those you can and seek help for those you can not.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: