You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Old Graveyard Ghosts

Real Ghost Stories

Old Graveyard Ghosts

 

We moved into our house in 1977. It was a two-year-old modular home. No one has ever died in our house. However, we live on property that once was the "Evergreen Cemetery." Our lot, actually, is on part of the cemetery that was called "Potters Field" and was for people who were too poor to have regular headstones and normal burial. Neighbors of ours also have had some very strange happenings in their homes.

Back to my story. My husband worked nights. I was alone in the house with a young child a lot of time. I used to feel a "cold" come over me when I was sitting in the living room reading, but I thought nothing of it and just would grab a blanket. I would always feel that someone was in the house with me, but I knew it was just me and my son.

About two years later, I had another child, another son. My older son refused to sleep in any room of the house except where I was, so I let him sleep with me and the baby. I would awake in the middle of the night and hear a baby crying. I would look at my baby who was peacefully sleeping in the cradle beside my bed, and he was not crying. My two-year-old son also sleeping peacefully in the bed was not crying. The crying came from across the hall in another bedroom. I got up and went in, and the crying stopped. This happened regularly.

Then, the toilet in the our second bathroom started flushing in the middle of the night. I told my husband, and he checked it and said that there was nothing wrong with it. He thought I was crazy. One night, when he actually was home sleeping, it flushed, and he was amazed.

I also started to find things moved around in the house. My comb and brush would be in a different place. My children's clothing would be in different drawers. I didn't know any of the neighbors then so I had no one to talk to... Besides, they would think I was stark-raving crazy.

Once, I purchased two very pretty sundresses, one pink and one blue, that needed altering before wearing. I took the pink one and altered it, but left the blue one in the shopping bag and put it on the top shelf of my closet. When I went back a few days later to get it, it was gone. I looked EVERYWHERE... Completely went though the entire closet and never found it. I accused my husband of throwing it in the trash. He denied it. Finally, I gave up resigned to the fact that it was gone.

I placed my car/house keys on the kitchen counter instead of putting them in my purse as I usually had. The next morning, my keys were gone. We looked EVERYWHERE and never found them.

The children would not sleep in one of the bedrooms, so I put them both in together in one. They were okay as long as they were together but they would not sleep separately. One evening after they went to bed, I was in the living room reading. I heard the voice of a young child and that of a young woman. The TV was not on. No one was in the house but me and my children. I looked up and there in the hallway was a beautiful young woman in a long, grey dress. She was holding the hand of a little boy of three or four who was wearing very ballooney-type short pants. I got up to go to them, and they vanished. Now, I thought I was really going insane and, of course, couldn't tell anyone. I saw them many times after that. The toilet also kept flushing, and things kept on moving around in the house.

In the meantime, I talked to neighbors, and they had told me that we lived on what used to be an old cemetery and that several of the neighbors had strange things happening to them also. I told them about what had happened, and they were not shocked and believed me. I learned to live with the young woman and her child. They never harmed me or my children. The boys never said they saw anything, and my husband still thought I was crazy.

About 10 years passed. My husband decided to build a closet in our large living room. He put up the framework, put in a shelf and a rod, put panelling all around it and installed a door. We used this closet for our coats, etc., when we came in from outdoors. Throughout the years, it accumulated a lot of stuff, and soon was overflowing. Eventually, I decided to clean the closet and took everything out and put it in the living room separating what I had decided to give to the Salvation Army. I saw something at the back of the shelf crunched up in the corner. I got a step stool and was very surprised to see what it was. It was the sack with the blue sundress in it, tags on it and everything, just like when I had bought it. It was impossible. That closet was not even in existence when the dress went missing.

Then, I started smelling cigarette smoke when I was reading late at night. No one smoked in the house. I felt like someone was looking over my shoulder from behind, and I smelled the smoke. I eventually saw a man in the house. He was tall, and wore strange looking clothes. He was walking away from me down the hallway. I ran after him thinking someone was in the house and would be harming my children who were now almost teenagers. But... He vanished.

Of course, I couldn't tell anyone other than my neighbor friends. I told my husband and he laughed at me.

I no longer sense the woman and the child in the house, but I smell the smoke and feel the presence of the man. I am not fearful. We live peacefully together. I guess that these poor souls who were buried in unmarked graves just felt comfortable in my home. I am assuming the woman and her son finally found what they were looking for and passed to the other side. The man? He is still here, and we have lived in this house for 35 years.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Dakota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SDSandy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-01)
Wow, that was an amazing experience! Has your husband ever seen these ghosts? He seems to be aware when a sound is made, such as the toilet flushing, but hasn't seen any apparitions.

Sounds to me like some of the graves were never found and that the house has disturbed those still left, but I'm happy that you've all learned to accept each other. You seem to be having no real bad experiences with them, and that's good!

Some people seem to be tuned in to seeing spirits. I've only seen it once, but I know what you feel when you see them. I actually froze, but my stillness was more to do with surprise than a powerful fear of what I saw. But when I saw them, I knew straight off that they were no longer alive. One of them saw me, which I found interesting, so somehow they're crossing over into our world.

It would be interesting to see if your visiting spirits will talk to you or not.
Seeker1 (3 stories) (58 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-31)
SD,

Have you ever thought about speaking to them and letting them know very gently that they have passed over and to go into the light?
Perhaps that is what they need if you can get one to remain still long enough and are brave enough. Lol

Blessed Be
Qua (39 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-31)
I'm amazed that you and your family are able to live together harmoniously with the woman and child for so many years. Amazing encounter you have. I do feel sad for those poor lost souls who have nowhere to go. I hope that the man passes on to the other side too.
southerntk (4 stories) (75 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-31)
I'm going through the same thing. My story is on this site called... Last house in the hollow. I know what you mean about not being really afraid, because it startles me but hasn't yet hurt me. I say yet because my son was hit in the back by a potatoe by something he couldn't see and I witnessed it. So if they can do that then I guess the possibility to do harm is there. I don't plan on leaving the house as some have suggested. I also have things go missing or moved around and my home was built on some Indian grave and near a few marked graves. I take pictures outside and tons of orbs show up in them. I guess there is really nothing we can do about it. Like you have noticed one will leave but another will follow. You seem to see them as well like I do and maybe we are some help to them in the state they are in, if anything maybe we give them some comfort and something to do. Not everyone can see them and most that do don't like it. At least we are not really complaining. I do kind of hate that it seems to happen when I am totally alone, with a few exceptions. Keep us informed of any new entities or experiences. Maybe your husband will begin to notice them eventually, would be nice to not be in this alone right? You mentioned hearing one of your children and a woman's voice talking, do you think your child seen her? Maybe your child can see things to but dosen't say anything. It was the woman your child was talking to or did I misunderstand what you wrote?
misstee4 (21 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-30)
It's nice how you don't mind sharing your home with these spirits. They sound like they just go about their business and have no bad intentions for you and your family. One of them even seems playful by flushing the toilets and hiding your things. Maybe one day they will prove they are there to your husband and he won't think your crazy anymore lol!
SDSandy (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-30)
Thanks Argette. I never thought of it that way. But... Maybe you are right. The woman and the little boy are no longer here. The man still is but I feel him and smell him a little less than before.

The story of the land our house stands on is very sad. Many of the graves were never found... We have been told that if we ever dig on our property, we might find remains and need to call the authorities. I have never felt threatened by anything in my home. However, I once had a woman come to the door to pick up something from me, and when I invited her in, she refused. She said that she sensed a spirit in the house and wouldn't enter.
There may be more spirits than just the ones I am aware of.
Argette (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-30)
Fascinating. I always felt sorry for the poor souls in potter's fields across the country. Maybe sharing your house with these spirits actually helps them pass over to the other side.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: