You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Tours & Haunted Hotels :: Young Face in Charleston

Real Ghost Stories

Young Face in Charleston

 

This true event took place in Charleston, South Carolina. It happened to my six year old Jenna who is very honest and doesn't make up stories. Kara, my 12 year old daughter, was disappointed because the ghost tours were booked up and some didn't run on Sundays and Mondays. Well, on Monday (25 June 2007), we found a place that just opened up to see if we could find her a book on the ghosts of Charleston. This place, Charleston Legends, was only open for about a month.

There was a young lady tending the place and mentioned if we were interested, they had a show every hour that lasted 25 minutes on the ghosts of Charleston. Kara just had to see this so we did. Before we went in we stood there talking with this young lady. She said she and her husband have been interested in ghost for 16 years but I don't think she's ever seen one. For those who don't know, I've seen one ghost in the late 1970's but we won't go there right now. If you want to know more about my encounter let me know.

This lady said that one evening, she heard a noise in the back room. She knew no one else was there so went back that way. She reminded us that there was no air-conditioning ducts back there that could cause a noise or draft. She was looking back the hallway and saw the one door slowly open. She didn't think much of it and thought it was possibly the air-conditioning duct in the front room that caused it to somehow open. Then, the door began to close! Ha... She said she took off to the front room and forgot about what she had just seen. She said that the lady who places the paper towels out each night, in the bathroom, said that each morning when she comes in, the towels have moved. That makes you think. Since I witnessed a ghost I don't doubt either one of these ladies.

I'm still not to the point I really wanted to share with you. We went into the room to see the show. It was a very nice room fixed up and decorated like an old Charleston home. It had windows, curtains, a fireplace, rocking chair, old furniture, and old desk, lamps, etc. We sat on a bench in the center of the room. The show started. A young man behind a screen appeared as other people did and told their tales and then vanished into the room as a beam of light. Things in the room moved too. Little Jenna was so afraid that she covered up her head with her arms and would rarely sneak a peak.

My wife kept nudging me to show me how Jenna was covering up her eyes and wouldn't look. We sat through about 20 minutes of the show and then Jenna began to cry. My wife took her from the room as Kara and I stayed for the end of the show. When we got outside we asked Jenna what scared her so much. She said the little boy. We said what little boy? Where did you see a little boy? She said right above her head. Jenna took her hand and showed the little boy was only an arm's reach from her head. She said he kind of looked like a clown but wasn't a clown. He smiled like a clown but more of a scary smile than a happy smile. His face was covered with blood. Some smeared and some running. This was not seen by us and was not a part of the show. She said the little boy was about 7 years old with short brown hair. She couldn't see his body because he was leaning out over her, from behind, and his face was looking at her upside down in front of her. Actually between her and Kara she said. She said she saw the little boy for about 8 seconds and then covered up her eyes. When she looked up again the boy was gone. This is when she began to cry... 20 minutes into the show.

She said she felt like hitting him but was too frightened. We asked her if she thought that her mommy, daddy and sister could see the boy. She said she didn't think that. She actually didn't give it any thought. This was so weird! You know if a 6 year old is frightened of the show she would say she was frightened when the rocking chair moved, or the lamp moved, or when she heard a big noise or witnessed something that we saw too. She actually saw something so different and I believe her. I told her to remember what she saw and when we got home I wanted her to draw me a picture. She said "Daddy, when something bad happens to me I never forget and will always remember it". Wow! She did draw something that looks like a clown face with a big smile and covered with blood. I think she saw a ghost.

To those not believing in ghosts you'll doubt this. I was never one to believe in ghosts until I saw one... No doubt now! We spoke with Jenna, after leaving the store, we went back to tell the young lady. She said that she would pass it on to others that work there and also speak with someone that knows and studies a lot about the ghosts seen and reported in Charleston, to see if a young boy about 7 years old with a face covered in blood means anything. This may be a start of many sightings at this place.

Interesting isn't it? Jenna is not one to lie or tell stories. She was actually frightened by this young boy that we did not see.

Scott

[note from the webmaster: the following has been added by the author on 2007-08-04]

This is a drawing that my 6 year old daughter drew of the ghost she encountered in Charleston.

Young Face in Charleston

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Scott54, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

jallen8037 (5 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-11)
i really like this story! I used to think it wasn't true but it is! Jenna is my friend.
Hey jenna! 😁
DanceJN (5 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-06-21)
I am going to visit Downtown Charleston July 5 to see where I saw him again. I can't wait! 😁
DanceJN (5 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-06-14)
We don't know anything more than what my dad had told you about the ghost I saw. If you take a look at the picture, you will see what I saw. The only thing I am not sure about in his looks was his eye color. They were either blue or brown. For some reason I am beginning to think maybe they were brown. 😁
DanceJN (5 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-08-28)
Thank you everyone! Also thank you daddy! I am glad people believe me! I mean what if no one did! Then something bad would happen! 😕 I want to know what happened! I don't think he was evil. I mean like he never followed me or hurt me! Plus boys like to scare girls. But that was not funny! 😢
DanceJN (5 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-08-28)
Hi everyone it is me! Jenna! That still creeps me out! When I am alone and this is ever since this happened I have been feeling watched even right now! 😕 I hate seeing that! I wish it wouldn't have happened! Although it was cool! It would be nice to see it again but I would pee in my pants! 😆
Scott54 (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-08)
Since my daughter had the ghost encounter in Charleston at the Charleston Legends and Lore place of business, they've displayed Jenna's story in the center of their store on a table. They put it in a nice frame so others could read it. The store is located on Church Street just up from the Slave Market. The store owner told me that ghost hunters have since visited their store with their equipment. I also spoke with an employee that conducts ghost tours in Charleston and she said that there is definitely things that happen in that store that can't be explained. Lots of things. Check it out when you get to Charleston. We go several times each day when we visit. We can't stay away.
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-09-16)
Hi Scott, interesting story. Thanks for sharing. Even though I have had my own experience with a joker doll, I hate them. I do believe your story, for kids can see things that adults can't, and they can also hear things. I hope ya'll find out some history about that place. Poor girl. I would definitely be scared too. Please feel free to share some more stories if you have any.
😊
Brownie09
Scott54 (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-09-15)
When visiting Charleston be sure to visit the store Charleston's Legends and Lore on Church Street. This is where my daughter had her ghost encounter. Be sure to see the show that runs about every hour. During the show is when the ghost appeared. Since then the store had ghost investigators do an investigation in search of activity. The store now has my daughter's story framed and sitting in the center of their store. There has been some strange happenings in this store. My email address is snight [at] charter.net if you have any questions about my daughter's encounter. She's still too scared to go into the show room.
Scott
alex323 (5 stories) (15 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-08)
Hey Scott,
I'm a local to Charleston and just want to say I don't doubt what she saw, but the details are very blurry. Also where you saw this preformance is vital, was it the Dock Street? Provide details, such as, what was the boy's race, time of day, and any other extra information you can provide. I know that the 'stage ghosts' in Charleston like to show themselves and do so often, maybe your daughter saw an old slave boy, or a boy who had fallen from a balcony during a preformance. Honestly, with as little details as you provided its hard to tell, and also, those ghost tours are very interesting, but only buy a reputable tour, after all, there are a lot of phonies.

Hope your daughter's okay. =]
Alex
amyradvan (4 stories) (8 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-05)
I live in South Carolina, about 2 hours from Charleston. I just went there for my 1 year anniversary with my husband. We went on one of the ghost tours. I can tell you, Charleston is very haunted! I don't doubt what your daughter saw at all. They told us some pretty creepy stories while we were there.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-08-08)
Wow, Scott! That picture is really creepy! I really hope this didn't give Jenna any extreme distress. I can sure believe she must have been scared but I hope she's been able to let it go and it doesn't continue to bother her. Thank you also for sharing your other story too. It was definitely something odd and would have scared me to death.
Abby (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-08-08)
Dear Scott & Shane,

I am glad Scott added the additional drawing by his six year old daughter. I am also glad that Shane commented on the addition or I might have overlooked it. Thank you both. It truly does add to this story.--Abby
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-08-07)
Scott, thank you for sharing your personal experience with us and the drawing that was done by your daughter. I agree with you also that individuals shouldn't make up stories to seek attention or to scare people as one day they may have a real experience and then who is going to believe them. I also take it you no longer live in those apartments, too bad you couldn't do a little research on the land the apartments were built upon, that could have been the cause of the haunting.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Martin (602 posts) mod
+1
17 years ago (2007-08-04)
Just a note, the author has added a drawing of the ghost (creepy!) in his story.
Scott54 (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-08-01)
If someone can tell me how to upload my daughter's drawing of the ghost she saw I'll give it a try. She's doing fine and we're going to Charleston again over Labor Day Weekend. If anyone wants to contact me directly email me at snight [at] charter.net Thanks for all of your comments.
Scott54 (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-08-01)
This is an absolute true story and I can remember it as if it just happened last night. Not a maybe or a reflection or a dream but it really happened. I have no doubt in my mind that there are such things as ghosts. I only saw this one in my life and made me a believer forever. I got married in 1976 and moved into the brick apartment buildings across from the Somerset Football field not too long afterwards. They were brand new and we were lucky to get one of them. We had a two-bedroom apartment. If you turn down the street beside them and get to the very last one, ours was on the second floor facing the street. Like I said they were brand new apartments and people were moving into them but they were still working out the bugs with the cable television wires and painting. Still some of the apartments weren't finished so they were even laying carpet in some of them. The apartment manager had informed me that he may be using his passkey to enter apartments if need be when people weren't home, so they could check wiring or finish up apartments. We were okay with that and just happy to be in the new apartments. My wife and I went to bed that night in the bedroom facing the street. The light from the street actually lit up the bedroom so that it was possible to see anything in the room. It wasn't that dark at all because the light was outside of our bedroom window. We weren't in bed long at all when my wife said that someone was entering our apartment door. I said that I heard the same thing. She said it sounded like someone came into the apartment. I agreed and told her to just be quiet and lay still. I don't know why I didn't get up and turn a light on right away. I guess I thought it could be the apartment manager and wanted to surprise him and see just what he was up to. I remember that my wife was snuggled up close against me with her head on my right arm. We remained quiet. Now what I'm about to tell you is exactly what my ex-wife and I saw and remember to this day. We both saw the exact same thing. With the room lit from the streetlight a man walked ever so slowly into our bedroom and continued to the foot of our bed. When he first entered the room she whispered into my ear that he was in the room. I saw the same thing and whispered in her ear to keep quiet. He stopped at the foot of our bed and turned facing us. Right at the foot of the bed! You couldn't see through him. He looked like a real man with a long coat and hat, of some sort, with his arms down to his side. He stood there staring at us for maybe a minute. It actually seemed longer but I'd guess it was only a minute. Remember, it wasn't dark in the room at all. And there he was staring at us! I couldn't see color but you could make out that it was a man. You couldn't tell how old he was. He then turned towards our bedroom door and exited as slowly as he entered. From our bedroom door to the front door, the only door in the apartment was a straight shot. You could see from our door, through the hallway and actually see the front door from our bedroom. I let the man get, what I thought to be at the most, maybe 10 feet from our bedroom. There was no way possible that he could get out of the apartment without me seeing him. Because I jumped up and turned on the light and he was nowhere to be seen. I could see clear to the apartment door. No sound of a door opening either or any other sound but I never gave him a chance to get to the door. I wanted to know who in the hell was in the apartment. I then slowly walked through the apartment calling out to see if someone was there. My wife was right up against me following me through the apartment as I checked in closets, in the bathroom and behind things. Nothing! And we both saw the exact same thing and realized that it was impossible for him to get out as quick as I turned on the light. I will always remember this. The strange thing is after this I don't remember her or myself being afraid that he may appear again. Now this has been a long time ago but I don't think we actually brought it up too often. I'm not certain how many people we told about it. Now I think I should have maybe put it in the newspaper. This happened in Somerset and no one knows about it. Just makes you think of how many other sightings happen and no one says anything. I swear that this is true, so I can't disbelieve ghost sightings at the Flight 93 crash site. You would think that there would be lots of ghost sightings at the World Trade Center wouldn't you? I just wish people could be trusted and honest and not make up stories to get attention or to scare people, because ghosts do exist and I am now a believer. Well, that's my story! You can believe it because I am not one to make up stories like this.
Jodi (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-08-01)
Could you post a photo of what your daughter drew? That is quite an experience for such a little girl. But maybe the child showed himself to her because they were the same age. Also, you should share your personal story with us.
cupcake10132 (4 stories) (193 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-08-01)
Dear Ceary,
welcome back! So good for you to be back. I took a break since a lot of things been happening!Lol.Cya!

To Scott,
Please excuse me, I was just talking to a friend for part of this post. We havn't talked in quite a bit!
Blessings to everyone,
Mikomi
CearysAwesome (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-01)
I agree with Mikomi,
This sounds like an evil spirit. And a scary smile that definiately is evil. Poor Jenna. I pray she is alright.

Ceary
cupcake10132 (4 stories) (193 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-08-01)
Holy cow! I nwould be frightened too! He has got to be a evil spirit, sinc emost children spirits are friendly, but this one doesn't seem to friendly! Jenna should watch out, maybe uploade the picture she drew and let us see for ourselves?That'd be perfect!Anywyas,nice story, I almost had to stop reading it when we got to the little boy! Funny that it sounds a bit like my lil bro,he's 7 with short brown hair. BUT NOT DEAD!Anyways,please tell us what happens!
Blessings to everyone,
Mikomi
Abby (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-08-01)
Dear Scott,

You and your wife raised your daughter well, so there should not be any question in regards to her integrity nor in your trust in her. After all children learn by example and parents are but caretakers of a soul.

In regards to your daughter, she is more sensitive to seeing spirits and/or ghosts, because she is a more open child than some, as well as compared to many an adult. You and your wife are also more open and so you have allowed the openness of spirit to be passed onto your daughter.

Your approach of handling the experience as you would any other experience is admirable. This provides a nurturing place in which your daughter can find comfort, trust and security to share with you all her experiences whether they be normal day to day life experiences or paranormal experiences, such as this story you have related to readers here. Most of all observe, listen, be supportive and ask question. Remove fear, doubt and judgment. Teach her to be empowered, to use her common sense and to know where and what her boundaries are. What she learns from you in regards to life are the same lessons and teachings she can use with the paranormal.

I am certain your daughter will be just fine, and with your love she will blossom in all areas.

As for the little boy clown with blood further investigation may help find a past history behind this boy. There may also be other explanations, but that can be followed up after the first investigations.

I appreciate you relating your daughter's story here. Thank you and many blessings to you and your loved ones, Abby
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-08-01)
Hi Scott! Don't worry so much about whether we believe you or not, we're all here to read true experiences and all are different. Some like to challenge but most of us believe. I am convinced your daughter saw something because I think she is too young to lie about such a thing. I think youngsters are much more open to these things. I'd be interested in reading about your other experiences you mention here. Write more soon!
fizzylizzie (2 stories) (67 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-31)
wow how scary 😢
did you ever find out it any one else had seen anything like it?
and also you should post your personal experience when your ready ^_^
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-31)
Thank you Scott for sharing your story with us. Children are able to see things we as adults are not and I do not doubt that your daughter saw something that frightened her indeed. Yes please share your experience with us also.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: