You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Ghostly Whisper That Saved My Life

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghostly Whisper That Saved My Life

 

I can't remember exactly what age I was when this happened, but at a rough guess I was between 10 and 12. My parents had bought me a dog, Dasha, in 1984, and he became my best friend. I'd take him for a walk before I went school and couldn't wait to finish my lessons to run and play about with him.

Before other houses were constructed in the area, there were - and still are - plenty of playing fields, which were once mining ground. When I was 8 years old, I'd actually injured myself bad when playing on the old coal humps, but this didn't put me off using the area as my playground.

One summer evening, I'd finished running about with Dasha and was making my way home. It wasn't too far away; in fact, you could see the back of my house from the fields, but couldn't gain access to the rear cul-de-sac from the main road. To get back home I'd have to cross what was the main road, before the bypass was built, to get to a side street that led to the street my parents' first house is situated.

There weren't too many people about this particular warm evening, but it wasn't too quiet. Plenty of cars were travelling along the main road and the odd person was tending to their garden. I walked a few yards along the road until I stopped on the grass verge, opposite the side road, waiting for the traffic to clear so I could cross.

Half a dozen or so cars were travelling on the road, in both directions, and I don't know why, but suddenly, a voice whispered in my ear, "Watch out for the next car that comes over the brow of the hill!" I was completely stunned. No one stood on the pavement next to me and I instinctively knew this voice was a message. At such a young age, brow wasn't a word I'd used for a dip in the road. There were plenty of other cars using the road so why I'd be warned about a car that had yet to appear, I'll never know!

I immediately stepped back off the grass verge, as close to residents front garden walls as I could and gazed towards my right. A brief gap in the traffic and I watched and waited. Then the car I'd been warned about appeared. I kept Dasha on a tight leash, close to me, hoping he'd protect me. I didn't take my eyes off the car for a second, hoping it would pass me by without incident, but it didn't.

The middle-aged male driver saw me and slowed down. His glare was strange and made me nervous. My heart raced and my legs trembled. Could this ghostly voice be right? Was there something about this driver I needed to be aware of?

The driver pulled in at the kerb, level with me. He then leaned across and flung his passenger door open, his arm stretched out as if to grab me. I panicked, but this ghostly whisper had given me a head start as I was no longer on the grass verge and I got in position to run.

Spotting a car in one of the driveways a few houses down, I chose to use this house as my sanctuary. I don't know how my hand didn't break through the glass of the door I banged that hard, but I wondered if anyone was going to answer. It seemed to take forever.

I could hear a family talking and it was coming from the bathroom area. I squeezed through the slight gap in between the outer porch and the boundary wall and banged hard on the bathroom window at the side of the property. I was screaming, "Help me, Please. A man is trying to get me in his car!"

A man and a woman ran to my rescue, wondering why a strange young girl was screaming for help in their garden. At this point I was sobbing and trembling. The man of the house looked angry at what I was telling them and rushed to the front of his house. The man in his car was still sitting there with his passenger door open. He must have expected me to only stay in the grounds of this house for a moment before walking straight into his grasp. The man from the house got angry with him and I remember him swearing a lot. The driver quickly shut his car door and sped away.

The woman of the house kindly walked me back home and explained to my terrified parents what had happened. I was so grateful to these people who had assisted me out of danger and assured my safety, but even more grateful to this ghostly voice who had warned me about the car that was yet to appear at that point.

I dread to think what would have happened if I hadn't have had this warning and wonder if I'd have still been alive today.

Thanks for reading,

Lakota73

Other hauntings by Lakota73

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lakota73, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
-1
10 years ago (2014-06-08)
TessaTeddyBear,
Curious - if you were 10, two years ago, aren't you only 12 now? I thought one had to be at least 13 for this site?
TessaTeddyBear (5 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-08)
I'm sorry about what I said before. That was when I was 10 and thought I was so smart. I am truly sorry that I was a little bit smart alec-y.
Lovems (3 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-17)
WOW your really lucky! It's good to hear that all spirits/ghosts don't play into some evil sterotype!
This may sound a bit strange but i'm just curious as to what happened to your dog!
Cause yo didn't mention what happened to him!
Was he scared? Did he protect you? Did you let go of his chain when you started running away from this man?
Thanks! I LOVE the story! ❤
doorperson (2 stories) (5 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-30)
Wow! You really were lucky! Maybe the ghost voice was from a child your age who got murdered by the same man and they were telling you that so the same thing didn't happen to you!
Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-09)
TessaTeddyBear,

Of course I knew even back then that it was wrong to get into a stranger's car and had I have been unaware of imminent danger I would have fought off this man with all my power, not willingly stepped inside his vehicle because I had no prior warning.

I had been pre-warned a car I could not yet see would be a threat to my safety and I was able to step back away from the point of crossing the road; had I been closer to the kerb then when this man flung open his door and reached out I would have definitely been in his grasp and I may not have been here to tell the story.

Anyway, no offence taken. My encounter is pretty horrifying and I expect it may shock.
Lakota73
TessaTeddyBear (5 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-09-30)
wow that's a little creepy, but every kid should know not to get into a strangers car and instead of help yell fire causes more attention don't mean to be rude just saying 😉
Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-03)
shellzy and sds,

Thank you for your comments. It is terrifying to think what could have happened. I thank God something or someone saved me from stepping out into his evil clutches.

Even though the voice warned me, I had no doubt in my mind it was the car I was yet to see and not any of the cars already travelling past. I looked to my right, not my left, to watch out for the warned-of car and stepped back. For all know the voice could have been warning me I was about to be run over. It neither told me from what direction or what the danger was.

I think it wasn't just the warning that saved me, but the way I interpreted the minimal information I had to act upon.

Lakota73
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-09-03)
Hello, Lakota, this is one of the finest experiences I have heard. Like others, I also feel that it must be your guardian spirit or angel trying to warn you off something bad or evil. Great narration and thanks for sharing. God be with you.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-03)
Lakota

Wow what a terrifying experience this must have been for you! I have no doubt that someone was watching over you and protecting you that day. And thank goodness they did too and you were able to get that little head start you needed to get away.

Im not a parent yet but I hope if I have children one day that they will have a guardian protecting them as you did that day. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to any more stories you may have. 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-01)
Lakota - thank you and all prayers are welcome and definitely needed. ❤
Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-01)
Miracles,

You're welcome. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

There's nothing stronger than love so I have no doubt whatever obstacles there are, you will somehow overcome them.

Stay strong,

Lakota ❤
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-09-01)
Lakota - me too. Thank you. Sometimes life can be rough, but it's life 😊. And she's one of my "miracles" ❤, so we're going to make it through it.
Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-01)
Miracles,

I hope it was nothing too serious and could be put right.

Having children is the most rewarding but scary job.

Hope your family keeps safe.

Lakota 😊
Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-01)
Hi Swyren,

I've had quite a few experiences, but I haven't heard a ghostly voice quite as distinct as the one that saved me that day. I'll keep posting my experiences on here.

Yes I'm glad I listened. I didn't really feel as though there was any other choice. It was a bolt out of the blue; almost like when a child goes to cross the road without looking and a parent quickly tugs them back.

Thank you for your comment.

And Dasha is an ace name 😊

Lakota73
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-01)
Lakota - I'm not sure we can ever be too protective of our children. My daughter is 20 and I have just found out that "letting my guard down" just a little bit has had serious repercussions. So, continue to be overprotective. One day they will thank you ❤
Sywren (29 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-01)
That was an incredible event. Really sent shivers all over. I'm so glad that you listened and ran to the nearby house. I also share a nickname with your doggy:)

Have you ever experienced a voice again?

All the best!
Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-01)
Miracles,

Thanks for your comment. I was absolutely terrified and it still gives me the chills thinking about it.

I remember saying to the couple and my mum and dad that I just knew he was going to stop. I didn't tell them how I knew and they never questioned why.

I can't believe the creepy guy had the cheek to continue to wait at the kerbside hoping I'd run back out onto the pavement alone.

...And you're right. You wouldn't believe how protective I am over my children. (my eldest is 22 this month) They think maybe a little too much, but that's mothers for you!

Lakota 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-01)
Lakota - your story brought me to tears... The "OMG, how horrifying" kind of tears. All I can say Thank God you listened to that whisper, be it your Guardian Angel or whoever you believe it may have been. I'd just as soon not think about what could have/would have happened if you hadn't listened or if no one had been around to have helped you.

You were saved that day ❤ and I'm assuming you are going to teach your children to listen to those voices? 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: