You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: Maplewood Cemetery

Real Ghost Stories

Maplewood Cemetery

 

I am now 18 years old and I feel like at this age I could maybe understand a little more the paranormal. It doesn't frighten me as much as it use to, as I have grown used to events of such type. And I have been looking for answers for a very long time, knowing that sometimes I do things I shouldnt do. Like use the ouija boards and such. And I know its not always safe, but please know that I have respect and never do it just for laughs anymore.

So, this hapenned just last night. Me and my friend had past a long day at a lake in St-Eugene, a small town, just 20 miles from mine. And it's a man made lake and is about 150 feet deep and a lot of things went on in that lake. Aparently bodies still lay at the bottom. A lot of people drown in the lake and all the bodies haven't even been found yet. Although we are not sure this is true, we do know people did die and there's a few cars at the bottom so there's still place for doubt.

So we started talking about dying and one thing led to another, we were talking about the paranormal and felt like doing a seance at night. So I thought of a place where our seance is most likely to work, would be at the Maplewood Cemetery. Its about 45 minutes, by car from where I live. It's on a closed dirt road, so no one goes by there.

We arrived and proceeded. Before going to the gate, I looked around to make sure no one was around. I moved the flashlight around and saw nothing. Just cracked and broken tomb stones from the early 1800's. I started walking toward the entrance when I saw something run passed by the cemetery, but it seemed like it was all black. I told my friend but he said it was my imagination. So I just shrugged it off. The second we opened the gate to enter the cemetery we heard what sounded like coyotes in the woods right next to us. To reassure my friend Victor (the name was changed), I told him it was coyotes and there's nothing to worry about. But right when we entered the cemetery it got much louder and started to sound like people yelling like savages. And soon after the loud shrieks we could hear someone running through the woods. At this point we were pretty scared and just decided we would continue inside the cemetery anyways. We wanted to do our seance in the only crypt there was there.

As soon as I layed my hand on the door to the crypt I heard a very strange sound, that sounded like a hurt animal, it was coming from, in back of a very large tomb stone to my right. I stared at the tomb stone not knowing what to do. I had a feeling what I heard wasn't an animal at all. So I went inside the crypt without saying a word to Victor of what I heard. When I turned around Victor was still standing outside the crypt staring at the same tomb stone I was before. I asked " Are you coming? ". He quickly replied "no way". I asked why he was so scared all of a sudden. And he said he saw someone standing in back of the tomb stone but it wasn't human looking, it was more someone made of black smoke exactly like what I saw running by the cemetery before entering!

I got out of the crypt because the screams from the forest were very close, too close for comfort. But when we were leaving the shrieks in the woods got a little more quiet and proceeded their way deeper in the woods. I have heard coyotes before, and when the shrieks were close they sounded exactly like aboriginals.

Maybe the cemetery is on an old burial ground? I just feel like we weren't supposed to be there.

Other hauntings by GabrielladeLioncourt

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, GabrielladeLioncourt, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

GabrielladeLioncourt (5 stories) (71 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-16)
[at] amihet
I haven't seen the entity from the cemetery, I just think he was there to protect the cemetery, to scare away mischivous teens, there to disturb. But I have seen the entity that I mention in my other stories if that's what you meant?:)

Lots of love!
Amihet (5 stories) (94 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-16)
Hi Gabriella: Have you seen this entity since your last post? Also what does he look like? I read your stories and my goodness how frightening, I hope you have some peace in your life. Take care.
RevenantSyndicate (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-16)
Hi Gabriella!

I've seen several of your comments and stories all throughout this site. I love how you go through and comment on people's stories to offer support and encouragement. It's what we're aiming to do as well! I was disappointed when I went to your profile and saw no way of contacting you. However, we'd be thrilled if you contacted us. You have a lot of valuable information and we would like your help.

Email: RevenantSyndicate [at] Live.com

-Amzi"
scarystorylover (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-15)
hi I'm a huge fan of your stories. 😁 I finally got
My own acount. Sorry about my spelling. 😊 I'm wondering if the ghost in the violent protecter have you seen him laitly. I hope I was right 😕 it was a him wasn't it?
GabrielladeLioncourt (5 stories) (71 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-23)
I believe perhaps what was in the woods was protecting us, warning us about the dark entity perhaps. But I don't believe it was the work of god as I am not a believer. I have respect for your beliefs, and if god exists and he is protecting well I am greatful but I believe perhaps they were aboriginals, they had kind hearts and were very intuitive, maybe they were protecting us, it wouldn't be hard to believe:)
Alaviya (2 stories) (15 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-02)
You know I totally get at your age what it feels like to be at your spot and trust me if I were you I would take off my slippers and run for the hills... But anyway I am the very cautious sort. But as far as I see it whatever those sounds were just trying to scare you away from the place to protect you from god knows what that lay ahead cause once you were out they were receding you see we don't realise this but god has made protection for everyone but it is us who move out of it
GabrielladeLioncourt (5 stories) (71 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-23)
Thank you! I'm glad to see you understand
Ill be back soon with more of these stories my dear! 😊
sacul (1 stories) (71 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-04)
Thanks for the excellent story, sir! I'm certainly not offended by it- if it weren't for gutsy folks such as yourself this site wouldn't be half as entertaining! I also partook in things I should not have played with when young, and I always wonder what may have been had I not ran... 😕
GabrielladeLioncourt (5 stories) (71 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-05)
Okay, I didn't want to offend anyone.

1.What I meant by seance was just to see if a spirit would try to contact us. BUT we just walked through the cemetery. We DIDNT do a seance because half way through I thought it was a bad idea and that's why the whole time through the story I didn't talk about a seance. I just walked through a cemetery with a flashlight and walked back out after 10 minutes. I don't think anyone that was laying there got offended by my presence because I'm always respectful.

2. I will no longer "play" around with ouija boards.

3. I wanted to share this story to share similar experiences with others, not get scolded for my actions. I mean were all on this site for the same reason, for our intrest in the paranormal. I like investigating different areas that are haunted.

I didn't mean to offend any of you. I apoligize if I did.
Hades666 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-04)
Just asking this in a nice manner, but what possessed you to go in a cemetery at night? 😕
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-09-04)
Gabriella: Maybe I should elaborate on my last comment...I'm not opposed to ghost hunting in cemeteries per se, if you go with the intention of being respectful... Doing EVP work, taking photos, etcetera, are all harmless ways of getting evidence... If there are spirits around, they'll let you know... I feel that doing seances and Ouija board sessions in cemeteries is very disrespectful, since as geetha said, these are places of eternal rest... To intentionally disturb these souls will only anger otherwise peaceful spirits...

I also believe there are guardians in every cemetery that insure the disrespectful get what they ask for...

I hope you learned a lesson and will conduct your investigations with respect from now on... ❤
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-04)
I agree with the others. Cemeteries are a place of rest for the dead and they when someone comes in with ill intend.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-04)
GabrielladeLioncourt, thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is a nice narration. But, you are still young and as some many people have advised, in paranormal encounters, always trust your instincts. Secondly, cemetery is not a favourable place for doing seance or playing with Ouija Boards. The smokey figure you and your friend saw was, probably, a spirit or a ghost. Please don't try to do seances in cemetery in future. Zzsgranny was absolutely right when he said that you were not supposed to be at a cemetery. We do not know what lays on the other side and what kind of energy we are going to encounter. So better be careful in future.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
southerntk (4 stories) (75 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-03)
I have always attracted spirits my whole life. I am 45 and I can tell you that I have the utmost respect for cemeteries. Once I went with some teenage kids basically as a chaparone because they wouldn't hush about going. Some of them had been drinking too so I thought it best to go with them. It was a very old cemetery and everyone there had died from a cholera epidemic. When we got there I went to walk around like everyone else and I just couldn't get myself to cross the cemetery boundary. I ended up just standing outside the perimeters keeping an eye on them. Always trust your instincts. When you saw the smokey figure at the beginning you should have left. When we left the cemetery that night, there was an awful scream just outside the car after we all got in. The driver couldn't get away fast enough. If you see things and ghost are attracted to you, it's not a good idea to go to a cemetery.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-03)
A few things about this story kind of bothered me and I must comment on them. Please understand that I mean no disrespect. First of all, you are merely 18 years old and that is still quite young. Playing around with a ouija boards, respectfully or not, is still nothing more than playing around with them. The cemetery is a burial ground. The people that lay to rest there should be respected as well as their families. To me, there is nothing scary about cemeterys and if I were to have a seance that would be the last place I'd have one. I don't think a seance would "work" better in a cemetery. So with that being said... I think that you could have had a paranormal experience but maybe not. Sometimes when you go out looking for the scariest places, going to hold a seance, use ouija boards, etc. It can all be simply fear inside that is bringing out the "ghosties". Maybe you and your friend were so worked up, some was imagined. Now, not to say that it wasn't some paranormal going on.

Thanks, zeta.
H2olily (5 stories) (158 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-03)
My advice. Go in the daytime. Still eerie, still hauntingly strange, better visibility.
GabrielladeLioncourt (5 stories) (71 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-03)
Your right I have put a lot of thought into it! And I have always been going through this my whole life, and yes it has been difficult from time to time but I have learnt to control this ability to some level but its still hard! 😕
Sywren (29 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-03)
I hope so too! I've read two of your other stories so far, making my way up the list. Sounds to me like you are very full of energy, and attract much with it. It must be difficult at times, I can only imagine. Which again is another reason why you shouldn't be playing with Quija boards or doing seances, you are too energetically attractive!
GabrielladeLioncourt (5 stories) (71 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-03)
[at] Sywren

Yes I thought about the possibility that it might just be people playing a prank or just having fun!

Yes foxes do makes the weirdest sounds! Alot of them live close to my house. I would rule out foxes. It was probably people, atleast I hope it was!
GabrielladeLioncourt (5 stories) (71 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-03)
I meant like an old aboriginal burial ground 😊
Yes, your right I wasn't supose to be there
Sywren (29 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-03)
Have to agree here, there is no reason for you to be doing seances in cemeteries. I mean, do what you will, I'm not here to scold you, but it's generally not a good idea to tamper with energy you do not know.

On another note, my first impression of this event - if we're totally ruling out coyotes - is that it may have been:

A) a bunch of hooligans trying to scare you off. You know how underage kids love to drink in the woods or places that cops and the general public don't visit frequently.

B) foxes make incredibly odd sounds. They can sound almost demonic. But bless their furry little hearts, they are just so cute.

But furthermore, if the dark shadows or mists you saw made you feel like you shouldn't be there, then you should listen to that instinctive voice and go along with it.

All the best.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-03)
Gabriella: Well, first of all, it's an old cemetery, therefore it IS an old burial ground 😊...And no, you weren't "supposed" to be there...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: