You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A New Haunting

Real Ghost Stories

A New Haunting

 

This is my 4th post on this site. My other posts dealt with my friend Samantha (who is doing wonderful after her move by the way. So far no problems) and the Crescent Hotel. This one, however, deals with me. I'm not sure if I would say I have a ghost. I've never had anything really paranormal happen to me until now, aside from the creepy days I spent with my friend Sam in her old house and feeling strange at the Crescent.

I'll start at the beginning. I moved into an apartment with my husband this past spring. We had just gotten married and we needed a bigger place. I have a small blonde and white Pomeranian (who is like a child to me) so we had to get a place that is pet friendly. When we first moved in there was nothing out of the ordinary happening. If someone would have told me my apartment was haunted, I would have laughed.

Now the way our apartment is laid out. We have someone who lives beside us, and 2 other tenants who live above us. When you enter our apartment you walk into the kitchen first, then there's a doorway where you go into our living room and a small hallway, which leads to 2 bedrooms and a bathroom.

A few weeks after being moved in I saw one of our upstairs neighbors outside going to get his mail and I waved at him, being friendly. He came over and asked me how we liked our apartment and we talked for a few minutes when he asked me if I had any problems with the apartment. I told him there was nothing that I could think of. He said, "Well that's a relief because the girl and her boyfriend who lived in the apartment before you moved out because they thought it was haunted. I think they were doing too many drugs and having too many parties. I knew it was nothing but made-up garble." He laughed and made some jokes. I didn't know exactly what to think about that one. I thought, if they think this place is haunted I bet they would love Samantha's house. It all seemed like they had over active imaginations or yes, possibly too many drugs. I told my husband and he kind of laughed it off. He's not too big of a ghost believer. He's the type who has to see something to believe it.

Days passed and I started noticing small things happening, mainly when I was alone. I would put something in a certain place and it would be moved. It made me feel like I was losing my mind at first. There was even one occasion where I was filing my nails with my nail file (husband was at work). I got a call on my cell phone and I laid the nail file down on the arm of the couch to go get my phone, because I had it charging on my kitchen counter. I came back into my living room maybe 3 minutes later and saw my nail file on the floor, but it hadn't just fallen into the floor. It was way on the other side of our living room and it was turned sideways. Like someone purposely sat it that way. I tried a couple of times to drop it, just to see what it would do and it landed nowhere near where it was. I even tried giving it a bit of a toss to see if I could get it to land there and it just didn't seem possible that it could happen that way on it's own. In fact, it even took me a couple tries to get it to sit up sideways the way it was positioned on the carpet. I just shrugged my shoulders at the time and tried to forget about it.

Nothing else happened for days. Then one night I was at work and my husband was off for the day so he called me and asked me where our spatula was. I was a little annoyed that "Where's the spatula?!" was the first thing out of his mouth when I answered the phone, after not seeing him or talking to him for hours. Our spatula is always kept in the drawer underneath our silverware drawer, and he swore up and down that it wasn't there or in the dishwasher. I told him I would look for it when I got off work (which was at 11pm). I got home that night, neither of us were in a good mood and I must have looked all over the apartment for it. It was nowhere. It was just gone. We started wondering if maybe some of the other tenants could get into our apartment or something, but for just a spatula? Seemed highly unlikely. My husband was starting to get very amused by it. Thinking that someone would break into our apartment and take nothing but a spatula. We both went to bed around 2am and woke up around 9am. I went into the kitchen, made some coffee and thought about making omelets. I had completely forgotten about the spatula being gone. I got the eggs and pan and opened the drawer and there was the spatula. I took it out, still not thinking anything of it. Turned on the oven and it hit me. THE SPATULA IS BACK! I screamed for my husband to come in there. He gave me a quizzical look and a lecture about how it's impossible for a spatula to just disappear and reappear on it's own. I told him things were happening off and on like that randomly. This was just the first time it's happened to him.

We didn't have any more activity for quite a while after that. I think maybe it was because we were waiting for something to happen. Then one Thursday night I had the night off (My husband usually works late shifts and so do I. At least up until 11pm or 1am). I was sitting on the couch watching a movie, I had my dog sitting in my lap asleep. Suddenly I hear a noise behind me like light scratching across the couch. It sounded like someone or possibly an animal ran their nails lightly across the back of the couch. I just sat there for a second wondering what it could be. I was a little afraid to make any sudden moves. I looked at my dog to make sure he didn't scratch the couch. He had all 4 paws sitting in my lap, but he had woken from his sleep and was staring right behind my head, as if someone was standing there. That's what really creeped me out. I jumped up off the couch and decided it was time to take my dog for a short walk. I just had to get out of there. I had the strangest feeling of unease. I didn't tell my husband about that because I knew what he would say. He would say I was too tired or I was spending too much time with Samantha and she was causing my imagination to run wild.

Later that night I woke up about 4 in the morning and I kept hearing a noise like a small dog walking around in my bathroom. I thought my dog (who sleeps on the bed at night) had jumped down and was in the bathroom for some reason. I looked at the foot of the bed and there he was. He was sound asleep and snoring, as was my husband. I still heard tiny little footsteps with small claws like a cat or dog was pacing back and forth in our bathroom. I laid there for a few minutes and just listened to it and soon it just stopped. I told my husband this the next day. He had a little bit of a puzzled look and asked me if I'd been working too hard, which absolutely infuriated me! I told him everything that was happening was not my wild imagination. There was something weird happening. Sometimes I wonder if we have a cat ghost. The scratching on the couch, the tiny footsteps, and possibly my dog was looking at a ghost cat sitting on the back of the couch? I know it sounds insane. I haven't even ran that option past my husband yet. I just think it's all more than just a coincidence. I don't know about the spatula though, that one is still a mystery.

Just a few nights ago we had a bad thunderstorm and I was stuck home alone. The lights started to go out and I started to panic. It was 11:30 and my husband wasn't going to be home until 1:00 am. I got the candles out and lit them and waited patiently for my husband to get home. I had my phone out and was on facebook reading status updates when all of a sudden our old box fan, that we keep in the bedroom for really hot nights, fell over. It scared the crap out of me! I screamed and my dog was going crazy barking. I went in the bedroom with flashlights and just looked at it. No explanation at all as to why it would have fallen. It's been in the same spot since we moved in and it's never fallen before. There wasn't even thunder or anything that could have jolted it in any possible way. I stood it back up exactly where it was and said out loud, "Please stop!" I went into the living room and waited a while, wondering if maybe something from Samantha's house followed me. Maybe? Or maybe our ghost cat jumped on the box fan. Either way I was creeped out! Luckily the power came back on around midnight. I was more than relieved. My husband got home and I told him about the fan. He just shook his head. He said the thunder had to have jolted it. I said there was no thunder then! There was nothing. He came up with a dozen excuses as to what it most likely was. I was really getting annoyed with him. The ghost never does anything to him, at least it hadn't yet.

I woke up the next morning. My husband was already awake. He was sitting outside smoking a cigarette and having his coffee. He didn't look like he'd slept too well. He saw that I was up so he came in and told me that he had got up around 3:00 am to use the bathroom. All the lights were off. He didn't want to turn one on and wake me. He got into the bathroom and heard something in the bathtub. He said it sounded like someone was standing in our bathtub. He could hear what sounded like feet slowly moving around in the tub. He quietly grabbed a ball bat from inside our closet door, went back in the bathroom, turned on the light and jerked open the shower curtain. Nothing was there. He said he felt like an idiot. I chuckled a bit, which he didn't find amusing. He went on to tell me he hadn't slept all night because he couldn't figure out what it could have been.

The next night we were both home early and had decided to go to bed early since we hadn't slept too well the previous nights. It was a quiet night. We had both commented on how eerie it seemed. The crickets were silent. No traffic noises. Nothing. We both started drifting off to sleep when suddenly I woke up to a loud bang. My dog jumped off the bed with his barking, my husband jumped out of bed. I was in the half-asleep/half-awake state. I felt like I could barely move. I looked up and saw the box fan had fallen over again. My husband starts yelling at how there's no reason it could have possibly fallen over. It was sitting perfectly even. For some reason, all I could do was just laugh. "I don't see how this is funny!" He yelled. I told him, "You're the one who said there's no ghost. You wouldn't believe me before, well now what do you think?" He just shook his head, mumbled some words and came back to bed.

Since the fan last fell, nothing else weird has happened. I still don't know if it's a ghost. I haven't seen anything yet that just convinces me of it, but it seems very possible. I was telling my cousin about everything going on with our apartment and she told me that she thinks it could be my grandmother, who died right before we moved. Possible I guess, but it seems more like something that's just playing around. I'm not sure what to think. If anyone else has any ideas I would love to hear them

Other hauntings by JustanotherTori

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JustanotherTori, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

jitters (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-08)
you could have named the title as: Mission Accomplished-Hubby feels ghosts:)) Back to your story, avery well written and the little humor
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-09-06)
zeta - thank you 😆 I'm glad you saw the humor in it too 😆 Some people just don't find that funny, can you imagine? 😉
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-06)
Hi and very well-written story. Read over the other comments and I love the "first ex-husband" bit Miracles! That was my laugh of the day.

Anyway I also like the fact that your husband is starting to believe and "see" also what is going on. I went through the same thing with my husband for a long time until he actually starting witnessing and hearing certain things. (Although to this day, he still has a strong mind against all paranormal). My suggestion to you would be to contact the previous apartment dwellers... If there is anyway to get in contact with them. Ask them what sort of things they were experiencing; may be same sort of thing that you are. Then that would definitely disprove the grandma theory. It sounds almost like a poltergeist feeling to this however seems unusual.

Thanks, zeta.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-06)
First: the Journal is a good idea, there are many members here on YGS that keep one.

Second: Please feel free to use this... It can help bring 'piece of mind' to you...

Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (allow for two or 3 days to complete)

Day one: Open all curtains window and doors with screens installed, let fresh air and sunshine into the home. Have all closets, cabinets and other 'dark spaces' open so that as much natural light as possible can enter those spaces. After 2-3 hours take a broom and 'sweep' out each room (this is symbolic and you do not have to really sweep) focus your thoughts on sweeping (pushing) out all negative energies / entities /thoughts. Close home up after completing each room of your home... Please do not forget your garage if you have one. (Optional) Light incense (sandalwood or Dragons-blood works well for me) and let aroma fill the home, and/or play a tape that contains your favorite Church/Positive, Upbeat (songs that give you good thoughts) songs before you begin sweeping.

Day two (or three): Once again open all curtains, windows and doors. Take a White candle (Optional) to the center most point of the home, sit on the floor and place candle in front of you. Light the candle (visualize a white ball of light) and then focus on the flame... Visualize the flame (white light) filled with positive thoughts, energy. (Say a prayer at this time if you so desire... Ask for cleansing positive energy to fill the candles flame/white light). Hold this 'image' in your mind and then visualize the flame (light) slowly expanding outward, visualize it filling the room your in, every corner and 'dark space'. Continue to visualize it expanding...it's outer edges pushing away (burning away) any and all negative energies/entities out and away from each room in your home. Once you have visualized this flame (light) filling your entire home, picture it expanding to your property lines. Hold this image in your mind for a few moments then visualize 'anchoring' this flame (light) where you are sitting which is the center most point of your home. Once you have done this. Take a deep breath, relax a few moments and then blow out the candle. (If you didn't use a candle just let yourself relax a moment or two.) "

Now you can create a shield for yourself using the 'home shield' technique but instead of focusing on your home visualize the 'flame' simply surrounding you instead of your home... Best time to do this is after a nice shower using a rosemary scented soap (rosemary is good for purification and protection.)

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Respectfully,

Rook
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-05)
JustanotherTori - I thoroughly enjoyed your story and there were moments when I had to laugh out loud. I think you know those moments 😉. Sometimes I can't help but think it serves the "non-believers" right when they have to eat their words 😆. My first ex-husband (yeah, I actually said those words LOL) did the same thing and I enjoyed being able to repeat them back to him. I still smile whenever I think about it 😊.

I'm going to suggest something to you that I haven't had the opportunity to do in a while. If you aren't keeping a journal, I highly recommend you start. You might be able to track some of the things that are happening and determine whether or not they are caused by something normal rather than paranormal.

It doesn't sound as if whoever is sharing your apartment with you is trying to harm you if indeed there is ghostly activity going on. It is more of a "Hey there! I'm here!" kind of situation. Attention getter is what I'm trying to say, I think. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: