You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Voodoo People At Work

Real Ghost Stories

Voodoo People At Work

 

Back in the 90's I used to work in a small second hand clothing store on lower East side of Manhattan. At the end of a regular working day me and my coworker, who is also one of my closest friends to this day, had closed the store and were counting the days till.

We had turned off the lights in the store, so people passing on the street outside would know that we were closed for business. Only the street lights outside the window display were lighting up the front desk where we were standing.

This store had a CD player with room for 10 discs at a time, which would be on random play during opening hours. At this particular time the CD player was completely turned off, and I do mean off from the main power button. I stood about 1 meter away from it counting the cash, and my coworker stood on the opposite side of the desk, when all of a sudden Prodigy's song "Voodoo people" started playing at full volume in the store. That song has a very unnerving start, and needless to say, me and my coworker freaked out, turned off the music and ran out of there.

Anybody who owns that Prodigy record know that "Voodoo people" isn't the first song on the album, and that album wasn't the first one inside the CD player. How the player skipped to that record and that song on it's own when being completely off is a mystery to me.

During working hours the CD player also skipped from random to all of a sudden playing one particular album from start to finish, without anyone of the staff touching it. The album in question wasn't Prodigy, but ABBA which I felt was a feel good wink at my Swedish background. Maybe it was just the CD player randomly malfunctioning, but I have wondered about it many times through the years, knowing that it is impossible for it to start playing the way it did when completely turned off.

Other hauntings by emily12

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, emily12, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

pickylilyloveschocolate (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-04)
My father works at Dover Castle in the Uk. He was sorting out the underground tunnels. When they had finished it I went down there with my dad, I was wondering around while my dad was talking to his friend that works there. I wondered into the storage room, this room had long dangly lights. Yes I know it was windy and cold but I had been in this room dozens of times and for some reason this time two of lights started wobbling like someone was strongly pushing them. A shadow quickly ran past an old piano from the 1800's. I went up to the barriers and looked closely, then the piano made a sound of someone putting there hand right down on 5 keys. The guitar in the corner was strum and a light was pushed again. Now an old communicator used in world war 1, it was one of those things where you sort of keep dotting it really quickly. Then a shout that sounded like leave a guess came from the back of the room. I screamed and my dad ran in, the record player was playing. My dad looked cross at me like it was me turning on the record player and messing about with the piano? It was a strange experience.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-11)
Hi emily12, I could imagine how scary the experience could have been. If you have ruled out the possibility of timer, then I am sure that it is a paranormal experience. A scary one indeed with the lights off at that point of time. But did you investigate whether such weird things happened in the past to some others in the stores. If you have done it, please let us know further information. Nice narration and thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
emily12 (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-10)
Hi Rook, that could be an explanation. I never thought of it because I worked 5 days a week and that was the only time the CD player switched on like that. Thanks for your comment!
/emily
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-10)
emily12,

The only thing I can think of is this...

Did the CD player have a timer... And if so could it have been programmed incorrectly? (ie pm vice am) Thanks for sharing.

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: