You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Unknown Hospital Watcher

Real Ghost Stories

Unknown Hospital Watcher

 

In January of 2012 I had to stay in a hospital in downtown Cincinnati, Ohio for a week following a procedure. By the third or fourth day I was able to get around by myself more without assistance. It was about two or three in the afternoon. I got the go-ahead to take a shower and decided I wanted to try as several days of towel baths was not cutting it for me.

The bathroom was a reasonable size and private to the room I was staying in. As you entered on the right was the sink with a large mirror extending across from the wall beginning at about waist height. The toilet and towels were straight ahead and on the left, opposite the sink and mirror was a walk in shower with curtain; the opening wide enough to accommodate transfer from a wheelchair had there been a need.

I entered, sat down on the provided shower seat and turned the water on as hot as I was able. Not long after I heard the door open and someone enter but the person did not say anything to announce himself. I asked, "Hello?" There was no response. I called out one more time, still with no response. I could tell someone was there though. At that point I turned as best I could and opened the shower curtain to see who it was, thinking that maybe they didn't hear me over the water. There was no one in the bathroom with me.

I was a little weirded out but tried to ignore it and continue with my shower. I stayed in the shower for quite a while trying to relax but I felt like someone was still in the bathroom watching and it was bothering me so I finished up.

After I turned off the water I immediately opened the curtain to grab a towel. When I looked across at the mirror I saw that the mirror was completely covered in steam. Except for one part. Directly across from me was a portion of the mirror that was completely clear. No sign of steam whatsoever. That part of the mirror was a silhouette of an adult male, beginning where the counter would have been level with his body and going up.

After I left the shower I asked my mom who was in the hospital room waiting for me if she or anyone else had come in to check on me. I figured that was the most logical explanation. She told me that no, no one had.

I don't know what it was but it did not feel as though there was ill intent. It did not happen again while I was there. I guess whatever it was didn't need to check on me past that one time.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SeanTrender, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

SeanTrender (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-15)
Miracles51031, I'm glad I didn't feel anything bad from him too. Thanks for reading and commenting. I hope your procedure goes well.
Sean
SeanTrender (1 stories) (9 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-15)
Geetha50, at the time I thought about asking if someone had died in the room but then talked myself out of it because I figured it was a hospital and odds are someone has died in it at some point. But I really should have asked anyway if for no other reason than to know for sure or to know who had died if someone had.

I have not had any other experiences in that hospital. I have had experiences in my life although not as benign as this one was. I am still trying to decide how to best write about them or if I am even comfortable writing about them. When I was younger they were a regular occurrence. They still happen occasionally even now but not in the same way. Sorry for being vague.
Sean
SeanTrender (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-15)
Wondering1, that is an interesting thought. I have had encounters with demons but have not given much thought to traces being left by angels. I believe they are out there and active but in my personal experience I have had more "active" encounters with the demonic side of things than the angelic. I will have to give that some thought. Thank you.
Sean
SeanTrender (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-15)
Cosmogal926, thanks for reading. I did talk to one of the members of housekeeping about it. I wrote about it in my response to SDS just now. Yes, the fog in the mirror was very odd.
Sean
SeanTrender (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-15)
Pjod, yes I have heard that about constant noise. I didn't hear any speaking but it is possible that an echo of noise in the pipes made me think I heard the door being opened and closed again. Maybe a knocking in the pipe or something. Bathrooms and pipes are good for making things sound other than they are.
Sean
SeanTrender (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-15)
Lsandhu, Thank you for reading and commenting. I wonder too if maybe people notice things more in hospitals because of the circumstances of why they are there. If people are there visiting a loved one who is dying, ill, or otherwise it may be that they are more open to noticing things of the spiritual/supernatural level because they are already thinking about all of the "what ifs" and possibilities?
Sean
SeanTrender (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-15)
Stephyw2001, oh I would say not a pervy ghost as they stayed on their side of the curtain! The silhouette was very weird. The outline was very crisp. None of the blurring of the edges that you typically see when the mirror is fogged over from steam.
Sean
SeanTrender (1 stories) (9 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-15)
SDS, I did not have a chance to speak with any of the nursing staff about it due to their schedules but I did speak with a woman from housekeeping. She and I spoke every day as she cleaned the room and the day after this happened I mentioned it to her. She said she hadn't heard of anything from the room I was in but she said that another patient a few months prior on the same floor had an experience in her room. That patient from what I understand was really upset by it. That being said, at this point the discussion was largely what she had heard around the hospital with a few patients but nothing she had herself experienced. Her theory was that the woman's experience a few months prior had to do with the removal of the crucifix from the wall of her room; that that was why it was such a negative experience for that patient.
Sean
SeanTrender (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-15)
Rozo, yeah. I think if anything it was more of a watchful checking in. Definitely not malevolent. I don't know about it being someone I knew that recently passed away. I have mixed views about that concept in general. Nothing really solidified. Partly I believe that spirit activity tends to be either angelic or demonic. But I also know some people higher concentrations of energy and that energy can linger after death. But is it the person that's lingering or the build-up of energy from when they were alive but not actually the person? I don't know. But maybe it doesn't make a difference which it is. I haven't decided.
Sean
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-09-14)
Yeah, I have to admit, it's really freaky but I glad you didn't get any bad vibes from this entity. I don't know about a guardian angel but someone was looking out for you. As already suggested, you have a change, investigate to see if someone died in that room or if a nurse that took care of patients in that room passed away.

My personal opinion is that it was a nurse or someone like that who came to take a look to make sure you were okay. Also, you were able to see / feel this spirit because of two things: (1) the atmosphere of the hospital; as much as its a place of heal, there are always deaths happening there. (2) You were already in a weaken state from your procedure and your guards and barrier that most people put up to shut out the paranormal was let down.

Did you have any other experiences at the hospital or anywhere in your life?
Wondering1 (4 stories) (29 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-09-12)
I believe that we all have guardian angels, sometimes more than one. By leaving his 'imprint' on the mirror, he may have been letting you know that he was nearby. I think that many times, when we are vulnerable or weak, that our guardians try to communicate with us. I've felt this quite often in my life and I've found 'signs' left by my angels. I always feel comforted when I find evidence that they are nearby and I feel they are watching out for me.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-09-12)
Hello Sean Trender, I got the impression that it was an orderly or nurse watching out for you too. It's pretty freaky how the whole mirror was fogged up accept for the outline of a person. I'm also interested to know if you did a little investigating. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. 😊
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+4
12 years ago (2012-09-12)
Just a thought. Anytime we are next to a constant sound such as running water...
Sometimes we think we hear "talking" through the noise. Many times while using the lawnmower, I stop and look after hearing my name called. Same in the shower or sitting near an airconditioner. That doesn't explain the mirrior, but something to consider.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+4
12 years ago (2012-09-11)
Well, if there be spirits, I suppose hospitals are a natural place for them to linger as so many people shuffle off this mortal coil in them. It may be your visitor was just lonely. Thank you for sharing your encounter.
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-11)
Lets hope it was a guardian and not another pervy ghost out for bathroom adventures. At least you weren't doing a #2... 😳 Thanks for sharing! The silhouette in the mirror is definitely weird.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-09-11)
SeanTrender - the thought of someone standing and watching, while you are at one of your most vulnerable moments, creates so many thoughts. Not too many of them pleasant.

My first thought, and I think I'm still going with it, is he was a patient in the hospital at one time. Although I guess he could have been an orderly/assistant too, still doing his job. I'm glad you didn't feel anything bad from him. 😊

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm sure I'll be thinking of this next week when I'm in for an out-patient procedure 😆
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-11)
SeanTrender, that is a good experience. But, I still don't know whether it could be a guardian spirit or not. You also told that you did not have any further encounters subsequently. But, did you make any further investigation in the matter like asking hospital staff or nurses whether some paranormal happenings have taken place in the room you stayed. If you have, please share it with us. Otherwise, with one single encounter, it is not possible to tell you any further.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Rozo (3 stories) (108 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-11)
Most certainly a gaurdian. Checking in to make sure all ok!
Could it possibly be someone you knew that recently passed- A loved one? Family member/friend?
As long as you did not feel threatened then all ok!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: