You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Laboratory Mischief

Real Ghost Stories

Laboratory Mischief

 

Back in the 90s, when my mother was working on a laboratory experiment for her PhD dissertation in a government research institution under the University of the Philippines in a suburban town about an hour and a half away from Manila, she experienced something she never quite forgot. Now this research institution is rather known in the campus as notoriously haunted (although the university, being at the foot of a mountain, also has numerous scary places) because of its isolation (it's about 10 minutes away from the main campus). It is surrounded by quiet fields of corn and other crops, some of which are experimental farms. Also around the building are tall cogon grass.

It was nearing 6:00 PM, and my mother decided to call it a day. Her liquid experiment sample was in a labeled Erlenmeyer flask. In order to find it easily the next day, she placed it in between two distinct trays inside the "Cold room" (so-called because it is where the samples are stored) which is just beside the laboratory she's working in. When she arrived early the next day, she found the flask missing. She was baffled because she really remembered placing it on that spot so that she could get back to it quickly. She checked the spot twice and then looked for it inside the cabinets, big drawers, thinking yet unbelieving that she misplaced it. Exhausted and aware that funny things had happened in that laboratory, my mother said to the room (in which she was alone) "Kung ako ba naman ay tinutulungan mo sa halip na niloloko mo!" ("You could be helping instead of making fun of me!") She turned around to the spot between the two trays it was there! My mother told me she was very shocked, but she gradually became grateful.

This building, which may be described as "in the middle of nowhere", is very quiet after office hours. That is why some staff and students who need to do overtime work in its laboratories are always cautious not to go alone in the CR or in any room if they can help it. My mother told me that in its lobby, a 7-year-old son of a researcher there told his father that he saw various "people" walking around -- marching soldiers, a bloody woman.

Up 'til now, many of my mother's scientist colleagues in this institution have many odd ghost-associated experiences in their own laboratories. I asked my mother how she can work in such a haunted place. She said that once you're busy with your work, you will find it that it is easy to ignore the weird stuff unless they happen directly on your work like what happened to her experiment in the Cold room.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, moony1012, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

moony1012 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-18)
Hi sds and Hades666! Thanks for your comments.:) I am always asking my mother for more stories from her workplace and there indeed seem to be a lot of paranormal activities going on there. There are reports on apparitions and doppelgangers. One of my mother's officemates even saw HERSELF trying to open a door to one of the offices one early morning! I'm going to post them here someday.:)
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-12)
Hi Moony1012, it is an interesting account, the experience of your mother in the laboratory. I enjoyed reading the story. Why don't you ask your mother whether there are accounts or experiences of someone else at that point of time, who encountered such or similar feelings about the paranormal. If you can get further information, please keep us posted.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Hades666 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-11)
Great story monny1012, some of my friends are from the Phillipines and they also have their own ghostly tales to share. But overall I enjoyed reading your story 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: