You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: What Was That?

Real Ghost Stories

What Was That?

 

A couple blocks from my house in New York there is a large church. Being that I was raised Jewish I usually have no business going in there. The other day I got a call in the middle of the busy street, so I ducked into the church lobby to take the call, given it was the closest quiet place. When I was in there I saw a man wearing an "angel with wings" costume they sell in Halloween stores or novelty shops. Or so it appeared. I assumed he was either a brand ambassador doing a promotion to sign people up for the church (which is common in NYC), or some nut job trying out his Halloween costume randomly on a weekday, which is unusual but not implausible. The costume looked fairly elaborate for just a random day in August with no celebration or festival of any kind. I quickly finished the call and turned to say hi to the man, if only to acknowledge the effort he put into it. But the man was gone.

I stepped outside the church and looked all around the surrounding block for his promotional booth or sales truck, just out of curiosity why an established church would resort to hiring a salesman in costume. No dice, no sign of him. I went back inside the church and searched all the corridors and exits nearby, even entering the sanctuary where there were several people praying at the time. He was not one of them. On the way out I asked the old bum sitting in front of the church whether he'd seen the man. He gave me a confused shrug. I went back to the office, and quickly forgot about it. A couple hours later, I got a huge chill down the back of my neck, causing me to nearly knock over my coffee. I remembered the man, remembered seeing his face. There was nothing glowing or transparent or ghost-like about him. But the fact he just disappeared is something I couldn't shake. And still can't.

I've never actually seen a "ghost" before, awake and sober. I've seen random people's faces in my sleep, met people in my dreams that seemed real, even felt cold spots in hotels. But I've never actually seen a person in an awake/sober state that even had the possibility of being anything but a flesh and blood human. Could this have been the first time? Was someone "up there" angry about me taking a call into a church lobby? I honestly have no idea what happened to that guy, it drives me crazy just to think about it. With the size of his "costume" I would have definitely seen him make an exit. Most people would just let it go but this is freaking me out, please help. Is this something other people have seen?

Other hauntings by sherm784

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sherm784, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

sherm784 (19 stories) (27 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-19)
Great comments guys. Still can't figure out what I saw for the life of me, but I've learned from all you guys' input, which is all I can ask for by sharing. Thanks!
Michore (30 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-17)
Interesting, something similar happened to me once, the only thing about them it that they seem unusual, interesting and that they disappear on you, there's a lot of theories that can prove it as nothing unnatural, but I guess its just one of those things that you have to experience for yourselves to understand the situation.

Here's my encounter,
I was on my way to the academy (I study graphic design) waiting at a small park where a bus picks you up, when this bagger/bum approached me he wanted me to listen to some music he was playing on a old casset tape, he didn't want money, just wanted me to listen, it was old afrikaans gospel music and he claimed it was him singing which was to some point believable, he did have the same voice tone. But that encounter itself was really strange as I've never seen him before, we basically know of every beggar there, he didn't ask for money or food. There was something about him that was strange, so he walked away towards the town, 5min later I decided to stick him for food and some coffee, but he disappeared, I couldn't find him anywhere! That's really unlikely for someone just strolling aimlessly listening to music.
Mannerizms (10 stories) (172 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-14)
This is quite strange! I cannot say that it was not an angel and as stated before I do not think the angel would have shown up out of anger because of answering a phone, but who knows! Any paranormal activity can happen any place, any time. Either way it does sound interesting.

Blessed be ❤
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-14)
I don't know who or what this was, but I hardly think it was prompted by any otherworldly objection to taking a call in a church lobby (believe me, far worse things have gone on in churches over the millennia). I assume this was a Christian church, which are typically welcoming of the public, including members of other faiths. Also, it doesn't sound like you were disturbing any of the parishioners with your call. I wish I could be of more help. It does seem like a very odd thing to encounter and you may never figure it out. Perhaps you should ask your Rabbi about it.
Wondering1 (4 stories) (29 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-14)
I've had several 'encounters' with beings like you described in your story. Not in costumes or anything, but I've noticed that it always happens when I'm distracted. Then when it clicks that someone is there, they are gone when I look. I'm currently writing about one now for this site.
I'd like to hear more on what these 'sightings' are.
Take care.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-09-14)
I can't say that I have ever seen anyone tyring to recruit followers in an angel costume for a church. I live in NY also and I will not dismiss that someone was dressed that way, because I have seen stranger things 😆 I honestly don't know what to make of it. It's possible like sds said that he ducked out another exit. Very strange experience though, it would have me scratching my head too. Thanks for sharing. 😊
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-09-14)
My friend sherm784, I don't want to be skeptical. But I want to rule out some possible rational explanations to it. You are sure that such a man could not have exited without your observing his movement. But, did you find out whether there was any other exit or perhaps he might have moved to some other corner or the church outside your line of vision etc. Further, have you made investigation such as asking people in the church if they have seen some one in that costume. Because without that and with a single incident, it is difficult to conclude if it is a paranormal experience or not. I don't say that it is not but I am just saying to rule out the rational possibilities. If possible, you can also investigate even now and keep us posted of any information for us to react.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: