You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Red

Real Ghost Stories

Red

 

Let me first start off by saying that this is the first story I have written on this site, so please be patient with me. This is a true story, and I would like to share it.

When I was seven years old, I didn't have many friends and to be quite honest, I wasn't interested in making friends with the girls at school. My best friend in my eyes was my uncle, and his name... Let's say it was B. Uncle B never called me by my name (which is Ella) but instead called me 'Red' because of my natural auburn coloured hair.

Unfortunately, Uncle B was diagnosed with leukemia and lost his battle. I no longer had my best friend, and I didn't really understand what was happening. All I knew was that I missed him terribly.

When I was around the age of thirteen, I was holding a stuffed elephant that Uncle B had given me a few days before he passed away. I was thinking about him and how much I missed him, and how much I would love it if I could just talk to him one more time.

I went to bed that night, holding that elephant in my arms. I, however, woke up to a loud thump on the side of my wall. I shook it off and tried to get back to sleep. I then heard a male call my name (Note: Nobody was up, it must have been early in the morning as it was still quite dark). Immediately I shot up and yelled out, "What is it?" I had no reply. I shook it off again and laid back down and tried to fall asleep again. This time I heard somebody say, "Hey Red" and I shot back up again, at first I was quite confused. I didn't know if my brothers were playing a trick on me, if I was imagining things or what I had just experienced was real.

The next morning I woke up to find my stuffed elephant sitting on my desk facing towards me. I remember asking my mother and father if my elephant had fallen from my bed while I was sleeping, and they placed it on my desk and they both said they didn't touch it. I also asked my brothers and I got the same answer.

I thought about it and remembered that the only person who has ever called me "Red" was my Uncle. After that night, I haven't had any encounters with who I believe was my Uncle. I truly do believe that it was him though. I am now 15 years old, almost 16 and sometimes feel like there is somebody watching over me. I'm curious to know if it actually was my Uncle? Was it just his way of saying that he is at peace and not to worry?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MidnightRush, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

MidnightRush (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-01)
Cliney1212 - Oh wow, what a coincidence indeed! I'm sorry for your loss it's nice to know that I am not the only person who has experienced something like this. Thank you, I really am starting to believe so as well. ๐Ÿ˜Š xo

MidnightRush: Ella ๐Ÿ˜Š
Cliney1212 (4 stories) (121 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-10-02)
Hello... What a coincidence... My daughter has red/auburn hair is 15 and called Ella... She was close to her grandad who died of leukaemia. She has had visits from him too... Mostly at important times in her life... Starting high school, moving house, another when her Nanna (his widow) had a stroke. Your uncles bond with didn't break when he died he's still with you. X
MidnightRush (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-15)
Hello once again. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Zetafornow - Thank you so much, that really means a lot to me. It's nice to be able to relate with somebody! In my head I was quite "confused" but never "scared" throughout this experience of mine. I can't really explain how I felt, I just didn't feel threatened which is another reason why I believe it may be him. I never felt threatened by him when he was still alive, as he was such a loving and funny person. I love that you say that, some spirits can be quite gentle and caring. I believe that with every bone in my body. I think that movies and some ghost stories make them out to be "scary" when in actual fact, not all of them are. Thank you for your wise words!

SirenBelva - I believe so as well, I still can't figure out what happened to my elephant during the night and I would like to believe it was him. I believe that they can contact you in ways that can comfort you as well, this experience... Really put my mind to rest knowing he was okay. Thank you.

Isandhu - I understand where you are coming from, I certainly do believe it was him. I sometimes wish I had caught it on camera or something like that so people know it just wasn't in my head. All I hope is that he alright and is at peace. Thank you for your words.

Slugwerth - Now that you mention that, it does seem like a reason he could have communicated with me. I remember when I was younger that whenever I was upset or in tears he'd look really concerned and worried about me. He'd just say "Everything will be alright Red, now wheres your beautiful smile?" and he'd tickle me. I miss moments like that. Wow, I never thought of it that way. It is a very sweet thought, and if that was his intentions then I firmly hope he isn't fussing over me, or worrying too much. I am fine, and I am happy. I miss him a hell of a lot, but I am happy with my life and where I am heading. I agree with you, I have tried a few times but I haven't been very successful. I have actually gone to his grave and just talked to him that way, and I felt as if he was listening and present the time I was speaking to him. I will definitely take on board what you have said, and I honestly appreciate it and will keep trying when I feel this presence near me. No worries, it was a pleasure reading your comforting feedback. Hope you are well. ๐Ÿ˜Š

MidnightRush: Ella ๐Ÿ˜Š
Slugwerth (1 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-14)
Thank you for sharing this experience. It is very interesting and seems to have a distinct message. In my personal experiences with spirituality, something quite new and exciting in my own life, those we have lost who we cared for dearly (or visa versa) remain with us throughout our physical journey. Because your uncle meant so much to you, his spirit was aware of your overwhelming sense of loss after he passed and attempted to communicate with you to ease your suffering. I believe that it's important to illuminate the fact that you were pouring so much energy into the stuffed elephant (a physical object that links you and your uncle). While you were being visited, it seems that the presence was so non-threatening to you that you were able to continue to fall back into sleep. This means a lot. Perhaps because you were so calmed during the experience that you weren't able to establish a communication link strong enough for your Uncle to tell you what he intended. I firmly believe that he placed that stuffed elephant on your desk facing you for a specific reason, to finish telling you what he wanted to. That stuffed elephant remained watching over you (as it was placed when you awoke) that night. Could your uncle be trying to tell you that he is still present and will always be watching over and protecting you?

A quick addition- I noticed you mentioned that your uncle hasn't tried to communicate with you since the experience. Yet you still feel a presence. Have you tried to communicate with him? In my beliefs, it's difficult for spirits to bridge the gap between our realm and the spirit realm depending on the person they are attempting to reach. I suggest that YOU try to reach him this time. Should you feel the need, try meditation, prayer, or inward contemplation (Whichever suits your fancy), and you might be surprised with the results.

Thanks for reading my response. Cheers to you and your family, keep the love strong.

-Slugwerth
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-14)
I'm afraid this isn't something that's capable of definitive proof. That's where faith comes in. If you choose to believe it was your uncle, and I think that's a perfectly reasonable choice, then proof be damned. For what it's worth, I believe it was him, that he is still looking out for you and that he sensed you were missing him and reached out from the other side as best he could. The other possibility, of course, is that it was all in your mind. However, as Dumbledore observed in the last Harry Potter book, why should that make it any less real.
SirenBelva (7 stories) (64 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-14)
I agree that it was likely your uncle. If no sirens, so to speak, went off in your head when you were contacted it was probably your uncle. I think the idea that our loved ones can check on us from time to time is very comforting.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-09-14)
Hi and once again... Love stories such as this one. Of course it was your uncle coming to "check in" with you. Our loved ones have a way of doing that every now and again. I had a very favorite uncle also so I can empathize with you.

I might add; one thing I liked is that you did not "freak out" over this. So many times when a sign is shown, instead of embracing it and accepting it many people want to make it out to be something it is not. Not all paranormal is scary. Not all spirits are coming to frighten us. I am so glad that you understood that immediately.

Good luck to you, zeta.
MidnightRush (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-14)
Hi guys! Thank you all for your comments. Another thing I have noticed about my elephant that I forgot to mention in the story is that it is holding a heart which says 'you're unforgettable' on the heart. I like to think that it was his way of saying to me as well that i'm unforgettable and he misses me just as much as I miss him! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Miracles51031 - Thank you! I believe so now as well, I glad to know I am not going mad! Haha. I spoke to my parents about it and they also believe it may of been him, because of how close we were. Thank you for commenting and sharing your thoughts!

Lady-glow - Thank you, if it really was him I feel blessed that he came to me and spoke to me. I'm glad you liked it.

Catspirit1972 - It is hard, but I am pulling through! I know that is what he would want me to do. Always have a smile on my face and be happy.:) I really hope that it was. I think it might of been his way of telling me he was okay and he's at peace. Thank you for your comment.

SolverPhoenix - Thank you. I will be, the house I live in has no significant history. At the time, I wasn't sure if it was only until later that I realised that it "felt" like him. The presence I feel watching over me doesn't feel sinister. Thank you for your concern. ๐Ÿ˜Š

I will happily answer anymore questions from the experience or if you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Once again thank you for your lovely comments and sympathy.

I'm sure Uncle B appreciates it also!

Keep smiling,

MidnightRush: Ella ๐Ÿ˜Š
SolverPhoenix (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-14)
I'm sorry for your loss. Though I hope it's your uncle or some benevolent entity you're experiencing, please be careful. Some malevolent entities masquerade as other things, so it's important to be discerning.

Does the presence you sense watching over you "feel" like your uncle?
catspirit1972 (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-14)
Hi, Could be Your uncle I'm sorry of your loss I know it's hard to lose someone you loved. Yes Your loved one can be in your dream after they passed away and Yes could be your uncle who was there and put your stuffed animal on your desk for the safely. โค
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-09-13)
I'm sorry for the loss of your uncle and friend.
I think it was him visiting to let you know that his love didn't end with his passing, and yes, he must still be watching over and taking care of you.

Thank you for sharing this touching story.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-09-13)
MidnightRush - I enjoyed your story very much. I definitely think you should trust your instincts. I agree that your uncle was visiting. You heard him call you by your nickname and then I believe he positioned your elephant so that you knew it had been "messed" with. After questioning everyone in your home, who else could have done it? ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜Š Just some evidence to let you know you weren't "hearing things" LOL

Thanks for submitting your story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: