You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Bangkok Ghosts

Real Ghost Stories

Bangkok Ghosts

 

Bangkok, Thailand

I was walking down Sukhumvit Road last night between Soi 23, and Soi 4 Nana. This is the red light entertainment area. I have been wandering up and down the street since ten pm after getting dumped by my girlfriend of 2 years. I just wanted to get drunk and talk to a pretty girl for a while. Now, it is 3:30 AM and the bars are closed. The after hours action then hits the streets, with street side carts and plastic tables set up for people to keep drinking until 6 AM. I am looking for a type of face. The facial type like my girlfriend had. She was from the Thai/Cambodian border region, and girls there have high cheekbones, full lips, and dark skin. They look like the bas reliefs of Khmer angels on Angkor Wat, knows as 'Apsaras'. To me, they are beauty incarnate. Graceful, feminine, exotic, and divine. Just like the girl who broke my heart. I need a substitute, and nothing I see can compare to her beauty.

Finally, after wandering for five hours, I see a flash of a smile from a street side bar. For a minute I think its her--my ex girlfriend. I ignore the other women asking me "Bpai Nai?" (where you go?), and I zero in on the smile. I approach her and I stop dead in my tracks. Everything is the same--the spacing of her eyes, the delicate curve of her cheeks, the outline of her lips, and most of all, her smile. The only difference is there is a slight brown tint to her hair.

I walk up and greet her in the dialect of the countryside known as Isaan, "Sabai dee baw?".

The girl just smiles, and beckons me to sit down next to her on the plastic chair on the side of the road. I stroke her cheek and it feels cool to the touch on an otherwise sweltering Thai night. I talk to her for five or ten minutes about where she is from, mixing English with Isaan, Thai, and a bit of Khmer. She is laughing at my jokes, and is astonished when I pull out a pic of my ex-GF and show her how much she resembles her. She asks me if I want her to be my new girlfriend too. She puts her hand in mine and rests her head on my shoulder. I stroke her hair, and sit back and absorb the night (things happen this fast in Bangkok). There are two women who run the street side bar, and they are staring at me. I look back at them and say "Arai na?" or 'what's up?"

They come up to me and ask if I want a drink. I say I'll have a Sprite with salt in it (a Thai hangover cure), and whatever my new companion wants. The two women look at each other, and then one of them asks..."What lady sir?"

I turn to my right and I look at my companion in the eyes. She smiles at me again and laughs. I turn back to the two women and point to the girl at my side.

"Her," I say.

The two women laugh, and roll their eyes slightly. Their face says 'Who is this crazy farang? (foreigner).

"You want one Sprite with salt, sir?" one of them asks.

I look back at my new girl as she slides her hand down my thigh. "Yeah, and something for her." I say.

"Who?" the woman asks.

I'm getting upset, but in Thailand you have to remain calm above all else. I speak slowly so she can understand, "The-lady-next-to-me."

She pauses, and then says, "Sir, there no lady."

I turn to my right, and I am looking at an empty chair. I feel a rush go through me, almost like someone is walking through my body.

I freaked out. "Where'd she go?" I ask.

"Who?"

"The lady."

"Sir, no lady. You sit alone."

I jump up and spin around. There are taxis, and street urchins trying to sell roses to single men and their paramours. The girl, however, is nowhere to be seen...

One of the women's face turns to fear. She starts talking to the other one rapidly. Too fast for me to understand. Something you should know about Thailand--this is THE most haunted place in the world. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE knows about ghosts here. People go to witchdoctors instead of psychiatrists. Almost immediately, the women conclude that I saw a ghost. They don't think I'm crazy at all.

Some background: This is the second time I had a visitor like this in Thailand. The first time was a couple of years ago, and I submitted a story here about talking to a guy at a amulet sellers table, who also wasn't there. So, either I am becoming a schizophrenic, or I am now becoming sensitive to the dead in some way. On both occasions, it came after some emotional trauma. As I wandered the streets with my heart in knots, I must have been receptive to some kind of energy. I don't know. I can only say what I experienced. I'm still processing this and I'm a little freaked out. Just writing this down to document what happened to me.

Thank you for reading.

Other hauntings by ChangYai

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ChangYai, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

sagge (1 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-02-03)
Bangkok Elusive "Ring" Ghost Sighting

Here is what I believe of either a new form of the Mae Nak spirit or
A completely new bangkok ghost that was identified.
The spirit takes the form of an Asian or Thai woman with a distinct
Pale (nearly white) skin. She has black hair but can appear in different
Forms (faces) and sizes. When she sees a couple on the streets and their
(wedding or engagement) rings she wants to get them, as she collects
The rings of couples. So she follows them in the streets and appears
In different faces as a human being. You can identify her by how she walks
And especially her eyes which she cannot change or hide. When I saw her
The first time in her appearance I looked her into her eyes and later
Saw them in her next appearance and next appearance, don't try to hunt her,
As when she knowns that you identified her she will follow you even more.
As far as I can understand she's very elusive and drags the couples into problems
Until she fetches their rings. Oh and you can identify her also by her grin she
Does when you look into her eyes when she was noticed as a ghost.
Her goal is divorce and her goal is to cause lovely couples into seperation.
Somehow I believe it's a form of Mae Nak because of her EYES that seem very
Similar to the ones of Mae Nak. It's up to you to give her a name.
Saikat (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-13)
Wonderful man! Dear writer, I would like to inform that I am on for a Honeymoon trip to Bangkok. Out of interest was searching for Horror happening there and found this! We have a bengali little magazine here at Kolkata, India. Can I have this story in our next edition? I can do the translation if I get your confirmation. Also I have lot of interest in ghost theories specially those instantiated from a Historical connection you may say as Prasart Temple at Nonthaburi (Just got infos from google).

Can you suggest me places or books on Bangkok Ghost real stories? Eagerly wait for a response from your end.

Thanks 😁
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-27)
i know this is an old story but i've read it many times and love it. Though it's no secret I believe in the paranormal, I am not really "afraid", though when I took a trip to Thailand I was actually a little paranoid I would run into something I didn't want to see (especially hotels) Luckily I didn't. 😆
Kevinizer (1 stories) (20 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-04)
Well that's quite the mesmerising story. 😲 I've never spoken with ghosts, I wonder how that feels.
ARCHANGELTAM (10 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-02)
Wow! What an interesting story, I'm half Thai myself and I always hear stories like yours and about how haunted the countryside is. I would love to go backpacking on countryside someday but I'm scared 😢. Thanks for publishing your story it is very fascinating. 😊
ChangYai (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-20)
[at] Mistee4. Yes, please, write something up about your experience with your mom. I find this fascinating. I am also writing up a book about The paranormal in Thailand. Let me know if you would like to include any stories in it.
ChangYai (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-20)
A word about ghosts & Buddhism.

In Buddhism, the source of all suffering is want and desire. Life itself is suffering because of one's past karma. There is NO escaping karma. It is the ultimate existential punishment. YOU suffer alone, because of what YOU did in a past life. The only thing you can do is make merit, and hope that the next life is better than this one.

This is where the belief in ghosts comes in...

Ghosts, or Phii, as they are called, are all around us. We may have offended one without us even knowing it. The Phii will let us know we have offended them by haunting our lives. We can appease them with offerings of sweets, whiskey, or even blood and raw meat.
All across Southeast Asia, the belief in ghosts is another alternative to blaming karma for your lot in life. While Karma is ironclad and unchangeable, the ghosts are far more willing to help you for the right price. This Animism pre-dates Buddhism, and by dealing directly with ghosts, you can not only harness their power, but you can lift their curses as well.

Karma ain't such a problem after all now is it?

Thank you for the comments everyone.
misstee4 (21 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-16)
I'm half thai, my mother is from thailand and she has told me about a couple strange things that happened to her there. They do believe strongly in the supernatural (probably where I got my interest from). I respect her beliefs but I personally believe she tends to blame every bump in the night on a ghost lol. It's funny sometimes because she's so cute about it. For instance I always update her on the things that go on here in my apartment because she absolutely loves hearing about it, but if say during our call my phone freezes (which happens a lot and if I'm talking on it when it happens you can't hear each other and I have to remove the battery and call back) she will insist it was the ghost and not my crappy phone and there will be no telling her otherwise! To this day my mother still does her little rituals for the spirits, like every thanksgiving and christmas she sets a plate of food outside for them. She believes the spirits actually eat it too even though I've told her it's just the animals. Maybe I will submit a story about her experiences in thailand as well as mine in my apartment! Oh zzgranny... You had me laughing with that song because it not only fits this story so well but I used it as a profile song on my my space page years ago... As a joke! Lol
katcyn19 (10 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-16)
This story is great... There is someone wants to be with you in your loneliness... Maybe the thing somewhat wants to lessen your feelings in a way that it resembles the image of your x...
Hope you'll be fine...
eric1966 (8 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-15)
Great story Changyai, I would so love to visit Bankok someday. Yea zzgranny, i remember those lyrics it's from the Murray Head song ''One night in Bankok''.Very atmospheric story Changyai, take care.
Runswithlydia (1 stories) (27 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-15)
AWESOME Story as I know Thailand is a spooky place, I go to the Chiang Mai all the time, but in three weeks I will be in Bangkok again for a trip south. I have to get in touch with this presence I am in... Right now, I am in Herat, Afghanistan with a bunch of angry Muslims protesting outside the gates.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-15)
Me too! 😆...And makes it worse is it's on our Muzak at work LOL! 😆
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-15)
granny - LMAO! Now that's just funny. I'm going to be singing that all day 😆
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+6
12 years ago (2012-09-15)
"One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble
Not much between despair and ecstasy
One night in Bangkok and the tough guys tumble
Can't be too careful with your company
I can feel the devil walking next to me"

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: