You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Lady In The Cottage

Real Ghost Stories

The Lady In The Cottage

 

About a few years ago my parents had split up, my dad had moved down to Norfolk as he had found a new house to live in. A year passed and he struggling to pay the bills and taxes for the house, so he found a small cottage (and I mean small) by the Norfolk coast in a village called Winterton-on-sea. This cottage recorded to be around 200 years old (so this cottage has some history to it).

A few weeks when my dad moved in a came down to visit him, the cottage seemed nice enough from the outside but it was VERY small and cramped inside. A few nights of being there, I was upstairs sorting boxes of unsorted items, I heard a lady laugh and at that moment I felt a cold breeze got past my back. I turned around, nothing was there.

The next time a went to visit I had experienced something I have never seen before. It was around nine at night (winter season), we had ordered a takeaway to be delivered to the cottage. I was alone in the lounge, my dad in the bathroom. I see a figure walk past the window. I didn't think much of it, I thought it was the guy with the food. I go to the door and open it and I find that no one was there. At first I was pretty shocked as I then figured out what it was. The figure I saw looked like it had a female structure and was all white. I remember seeing the figure in a big dress like a Victorian style dress of some sort. This did really creep me out. I told my dad of what I saw and he did tell me that the cottage was haunted... I do think that the laugh I heard and the figure or lady I saw may be from the same spirit/ghost.

There were times that I had moments that when I was on my own (both day and night) that I felt that someone was with me but I did not feel afraid (I guess that's a good thing?). Could that feeling be passed on from the ghost? My dad claims that he had similar experiences, e.g the figure and the feeling of not being alone. However, he had not heard any laughing. (Could it just have been me?)

As I went to the cottage more often, I figured out that the spirit/ghost/lady (or whatever) wasn't a bad thing and so I accepted it (or her) being there. There were more encounters of the laughing and coldness but I never saw the figure of the lady again (I even stayed up to try and see it at some nights). So in the end I just thought that I've got a ghost buddy! However, my dad moved out of the cottage about a year later. If I'm honest, I felt rather sad having to leave (could that be something to do with the ghost?)

I personally now think, in the present day, that the ghost meant no harm and was friendly. So, to those reading this and are interested in ghosts or spirits for the first time, please understand they are here for a reason!

Thanks for reading. Please comment if you want to!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jmaster123, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

girlcatblox (16 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-16)
Good point. Not all spirits are evil. Us humans are just set to being scared of non-human entities. 😁
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-18)
Hi jmaster:

You are so right in saying that not all spirits are here to cause us harm. Maybe this ghost was a previous owner who loved the cottage and never wanted to leave it. I am glad that you went by your intuition in thinking that she meant no harm.

Zeta.
jennysue35 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-17)
That's a neat story, maybe you could buy the cottage some day. She would probably remember you! 😊
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-17)
jmaster123: It is nice you felt this way about the woman who still resides there, you are right she did make you feel this way and by her doing that it does show that she meant no harm and obviously enjoyed the company that your father and yourself provided. I agree with my friend Miracles, you may very well be Clairaudient, or just more intune then your father at being able to perceive the spirit world. Great account, thanks for sharing.

Dan
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-16)
jmaster123 - I really enjoyed your story and completely understand why you were sad when you left. I've felt that way when having to leave some of our ghosts.

I would bet that anyone who lives in that home is going to encounter the Victorian lady in some way or another. Hopefully they'll respond to her as well as you 😊

As for you hearing her laugh and your dad not hearing her, we all have different gifts. Maybe you are clairaudient, which basically means you can hear ghosts. Or perhaps the Victorian lady just never wanted to make herself heard to your dad.

Anyway, I'm glad you had a positive experience with the Lady in the Cottage and thank you for sharing this story with us.
Argette (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-15)
I can understand the sadness you felt because it seems you came to terms with the lady's presence, even though you never actually saw her again.

Yes, great story. Thanks for sharing. She must have felt sad about leaving, too, since her spirit stayed behind.
Runswithlydia (1 stories) (27 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-15)
Good story, haunting by a sea cottage. Beautiful imagery. Probably not a bad ghost, but with them, you never know. Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: