You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Family Legacy

Real Ghost Stories

The Family Legacy

 

This story is more a plea for assistance.

Two years ago, the woman who raised me passed, who I called auntie but was in fact a distant cousin once removed, leaving me all her worldly possessions and the rather beautiful country house she had brought me up in. Though not a day goes by in which I don't miss her, my inheritance could sadly not have come at a better time.

Two months prior to her death my son was in a serious car accident, in which a drunk driver smashed into the side of the car he and his friends were travelling in. On the way to the hospital, my son's heart stopped beating three times, the longest time being for six minutes in which, I was later told, his brain was starved of oxygen and they feared I would never truly have my son back.

He eventually awoke four days after the accident. Due to the injuries he received the vision in his left eye became very limited which required rehabilitation made worse by one of the passengers in the car and a close friend of his losing their ability to walk and another losing use of their left arm, my son felt he'd gotten off 'light' and as such became extremely depressed.

He was discharged from the hospital after a month, his leg still in a cast from it having been broken. It was then we moved into my old home and we both began experiencing strange happenings. Items would be moved during the night and occasionally we'd hear tapping on windows. One night I came downstairs and found the cake I made the day earlier which had been carefully placed far back on the counter had ended up on the floor.

My aunt was a very spiritual woman and believed in the presence of a world beyond, assuring me that she would always watch over me so for a time, rather than being afraid I welcomed the little nuisances believing it was my aunt telling me she still watched over me. My aunt said that people in our family always were attuned to other presences and while she pitied me greatly that I personally could not tune into spirits she taught me to respect them.

Though my aunt would speak openly of her beliefs she would not teach me, as you can imagine as a young child I was devastated I couldn't have a pet ghost to show all my friends, luckily I've learned since then, my aunt wouldn't teach me because her beliefs had caused a separation of the family over the years and now I fear her desire to please my parents may have endangered my son.

The first case of the nuisances becoming more pronounced was when I discovered my son, who was on crutches at this time sprawled on the gravel of the drive unable to get up. He told me he felt the crutch being pulled by something but being ever the sceptic refused to allow me to say it was anything but his own clumsiness.

After this I began to see things, movement mainly from the corner of my eyes or a dark form in the shadows that would vanish if I turned to look at this again. By the time Richard was on a single crutch he would wake up at five every morning (which was a massive surprise to me who's never know him to get up before noon unless he was working), he'd then travel to the bottom of our garden and spend hours standing before the large oak tree. I only started to worry one day when the whole garden was flooded and it was still raining he still stood there for hours staring at the tree, I asked him what was the matter but he always looked at me as if I was going crazy.

The bruises came a little time later. He tries his best to hide them along with the scratches but it's gotten to the point I'm desperately worried about him, he's stopped speaking to me and spends most of his time by the oak whispering to himself. Is there anything I can do to help him because I don't believe my aunt, who loved us all so dearly would purposely hurt my son. So please help, any advice no matter how little would help.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lastingdreams, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

tsukihime (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-14)
hmm... I want to help by giving advice but it seems that Rook-san already did it... 😁

Well I am not a professional, since I learn by my self how to deal with spiritual things through the martial arts... But I may want to suggest to chant prayer of your religion... 😁 the chant will not only disrupt the negative energy by the dark souls but also make them weak...:D I want to suggest using Chi... But... It has to be learned by martial art... ^^;;;
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-21)
You son's odd behaviour and even the physical manifestations (bruises, scratches) could be caused by his brain injury coupled with the effects of post-traumatic stress and survivor guilt. Please encourage him to seek further medical (and psychological) treatment before moving on to possible paranormal explanations.
froman64 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-21)
I do not know your religious views but I would get the house blessed by someone or you can do it yourself by burning sage in every room of the house or walk through the house with a bible and holy water and above every door way make the sign of the cross with the holy water and say in the name of God I clence this house of any unholy spirits this may help but could anger the spirit as well. But if you want to have someone do it for you and hope for the best.
DarDar01 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-20)
Having had a TBI myself it does sound like this maybe the problem. Does he have any problems with memories or with his balance?
BrokenTree (76 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-20)
I think that maybe your son may have a TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) that went undiagnosed. In an accident such as his, the brain tends to move and slam into the side of the skull. Symptoms of this may not show up right away. I don't know what healthcare is like in your country but in the States the patient is responsible for their own healthcare. You have to ask the doctor to conduct specific tests such as a brain scan, EEG or MRI. Rook's cleansing method is always worth a shot but do take your son to a specialist for his injuries. I hope he has a speedy recovery.
Stay well

Needymeds.org
BlackRose2131 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-20)
I would call on your aunt and tell all other spirts to leave. Maybe have a cleansing. Do not be mean or antagonize it or it may get worse. Maybe there is a ghost in the tree do some research on the place. Good Luck ❤
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-09-20)
It is possible that the severity of your son's accident has caused him to have abilities. There are a lot of claims of people who have come close to death having the ability to hear and see spirits. Whatever is bothering your son does not seem to be good. Like you said your aunt would not hurt him. I agree with the others who suggested therapy. If he is acting this way due to his guilt and depression it is better to know so he can take the proper steps to get better. If this is something else, I think you should have your son stay with a relative or a friend for a few days and see if there is any change in his personality. In the mean time, do the cleansing and if it is within your beliefs have the house blessed. I hope everything works out for you and your son, Good luck ❤
27flowers (2 stories) (25 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-09-20)
Very interesting story. Sorry to hear about your son I can understand your concern. Have you had much chance to observe your son in any other environments- eg a friends house to see if he behaves the same or is this behaviour confined to your house/garden? Staring at a tree does sound a bit odd- I personally love trees and find them relaxing to be around but I think there is a difference here... As mentioned by other posters I think some professional help would be a good idea, accidents can cause more than physical damage... The loss of control experienced can cause such an emotional impact it would not be suprising if your son is becoming a bit obsessive over certain behaviours to regain a sense of control- similar to OCD? Just an idea with reference to you mentioning him getting up at the same time and doing the same thing for such an amount of time etc
Keep us updated, I don't get chance to post often but I'm always reading and would love to know how you get on.
Regards
Flowers
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-20)
Hi Lastingdreams, I hope the advice given to you on here helps, I submitted my own experience and the people on here leave such lovely comments and really do give good advice. Take care x

Rook - I absolutely love reading your comments you give excellent advice. I just find everything you write so interesting and helpful to others, as well as other people on here. Thank you x
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
12 years ago (2012-09-20)
Lastingdreams: I think your son may be experiencing a form of "survivor guilt"...Given that his friends' outcomes are more severe, he may feel a sense of responsibility for causing that, even though logically it's not the case... Has he remained friends with the others involved?...

My advice is to get him into counseling or therapy ASAP, and in the meantime use Rook's cleansing method... Lifting his mood and outlook will go a long way toward getting this entity away from your son...

Please keep us updated... 😊
Christine_Pandora (1 stories) (80 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-20)
I have a feeling that maybe his depression is the cause for most of it and may also have lured in a bad or mischievous spirit... I'd go with the later one.

You say he feels really guilty and is depressed maybe unfortunately he is causing the scratches but to rule that out for skeptics and to get a more accurate diagnosis so you can help him maybe try get him to talk to you and if that doesn't help maybe a psychiatrist?

Talking tends to help and if you want to help a little more try researching things that ward off spirits like certain incense and herbs/plants.

No disrespect intended at all - I hope he returns back to his happier self!

Christine ❤
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-20)
Lastingdreams,

Your son may very well be a sensitive, this could be something that runs in the family or something that was triggered by the accident.

You mentioned he became depressed due to his injuries being 'not as severe' as the others that were in the car that night... His depression may have attracted some sort of negative entity to him... It may be the spirit of a 'former' human or it may be a non-human spirit. The fact he spends hours outside at the oak tree I think points towards this being a 'non-human' entity and supports that your 'Auntie' is watching over you and the HOUSE. I stress the word HOUSE because as a spirit your Aunties 'energy' is limited here on the physical plane and this could limit how much 'area' she can protect.

The first thing that needs to be determined is if there are 'lingering' mental 'issues' (I do not mean to sound harsh)...If he is 're-living' the accident in his dreams/nightmares it may result in the scratches and bruises that are happening to him.

I offer this method, at the least it may bring piece of mind to the both of you... You may find you have to do this a few times to 'completely' change out any negative energy that may have built up in your home and on your property... Please 'picture' the 'light/shield/flame' extending out to your property line and not just 'covering' the house...

Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (allow for two or 3 days to complete)

Day one: Open all curtains window and doors with screens installed, let fresh air and sunshine into the home. Have all closets, cabinets and other 'dark spaces' open so that as much natural light as possible can enter those spaces. After 2-3 hours take a broom and 'sweep' out each room (this is symbolic and you do not have to really sweep) focus your thoughts on sweeping (pushing) out all negative energies / entities /thoughts. Close home up after completing each room of your home... Please do not forget your garage if you have one. (Optional) Light incense (sandalwood or Dragons-blood works well for me) and let aroma fill the home, and/or play a tape that contains your favorite Church/Positive, Upbeat (songs that give you good thoughts) songs before you begin sweeping.

Day two (or three): Once again open all curtains, windows and doors. Take a White candle (Optional) to the center most point of the home, sit on the floor and place candle in front of you. Light the candle (visualize a white ball of light) and then focus on the flame... Visualize the flame (white light) filled with positive thoughts, energy. (Say a prayer at this time if you so desire... Ask for cleansing positive energy to fill the candles flame/white light). Hold this 'image' in your mind and then visualize the flame (light) slowly expanding outward, visualize it filling the room your in, every corner and 'dark space'. Continue to visualize it expanding...it's outer edges pushing away (burning away) any and all negative energies/entities out and away from each room in your home. Once you have visualized this flame (light) filling your entire home, picture it expanding to your property lines. Hold this image in your mind for a few moments then visualize 'anchoring' this flame (light) where you are sitting which is the center most point of your home. Once you have done this. Take a deep breath, relax a few moments and then blow out the candle. (If you didn't use a candle just let yourself relax a moment or two.) "

Now you can create a shield for yourself using the 'home shield' technique but instead of focusing on your home visualize the 'flame' simply surrounding you instead of your home... Best time to do this is after a nice shower using a rosemary scented soap (rosemary is good for purification and protection.)

Please ask any questions you may have.

Respectfully,

Rook
southerntk (4 stories) (75 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-20)
I agree that this is a scary situation. Your son has stopped breathing for 6 minutes. He may have a second sight of sort now. A connection that is much stronger than normal to the unseen world. It is imperative that you begin a discussion with him about this and let him know you believe in this sort of thing and that you want to know if he is seeing things in a spiritual nature. If he feels he can trust you maybe he will open up. If he acts like he has no clue as to what you are talking about then I would get him some psychiatric help. The lack of oxygen could have affected a part of his brain that you don't recognize as easily being damaged. I think if he is seeing something that it may be a evil entity, because of the depression that seems to be there. Lack of sleep can cause odd things to happen to us too. You have to get him to open up to you about this. Don't stop until you have some information to go on. You having seen things in the house out the corner of your eye and the cake incident, along with him standing in the rain talking to a tree, really worries me that something may want to harm him some how. Communication is the key to all of this. Get him to open up to you on some level. It's the only way to know how to proceed.
Takishima (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-19)
I opinion is that the ghosts are attracted to your son because he can sense there presence more than you do, I think that his senses jumped to a hole new level because to the accident he has had, he might have developed esp (Extrasensory perception) abilities. People with esp get interactive with ghosts, I think he is not looking at that tree but he might been talking to a person who had died in that very spot where he is standing if you allow him to interact more with them he might become possessed by it my suggestion is that
You should give a small bible to your son and ask him to keep it with him all the time and ask a priest to come to your house and also get him to look at the tree and ask him to cleanse the place hope it helped take care...
gla55es (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-19)
yikes. I saw your post and I wanted to try to help. I'm not a professional, but I know a little bit about the occult. First, I would recommend to consult a doctor or psyciatrist. If they cannot help, then you might want to go another route. If anything, it sounds like this might be some dark forces invloved, especially, if he's ending up with bruises and scratches (and trying to conceal them). When it comes to him staring at the tree, does it look like he's looking up in the tree and talking to something or he he just muttering things to himself? If things don't get better, try to find out the houses history before you live there, and if you're open to it, possibly consult a medium to come to your house, perhaps even paranormal investigators. I hope this helped a little and wish you the best

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: