You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Grim Reaper On Pacheco Pass

Real Ghost Stories

Grim Reaper On Pacheco Pass

 

After being laid off from my job as a School Counselor two years ago, I started doing in home sales parties to make some extra money. Usually the parties were local and I didn't have to drive more than about a half an hour from our home near Fresno, CA. One evening, however, I was going to do a party in the San Jose area, and agreed to do it because it was a big party and there is more money in that area of California. The drive is long, over two hours and I decided I didn't want to go alone. I took my 21 year old Goddaughter, Mandy with me for company.

The party had gone well and it ended late. It was around midnight by the time we were headed over the Pacheco Pass. The Pacheco Pass is a stretch of the 152 Freeway between Gilroy and Los Banos. This pass goes through a range of mountains, interestingly enough, called the Diablo Range (Devil Range). Driving this pass at night is scary enough because the grade is steep, there are a lot of big trucks and there are no towns or services on that stretch of road. The freeway is flanked on either side by steep hills.

I was tired and very glad to have a chatty companion to keep me awake. As I was driving, listening to Mandy gab away, I suddenly saw a figure dangerously close to the white line that signifies the edge of the lane and the shoulder. This was no place for anyone to be walking, much less someone who looked like the individual I saw.

The figure was dressed all in black and was not wearing shoes. The only visible part of the person was the legs which were very white and thin. There was a black hood over the figure's face and I passed it so quickly I couldn't get much more detail.

I immediately started trying to figure out where this person had come from. There was no place that it seemed it could have come from. There were no houses, stores or even places for a car to pull out anywhere nearby.

I immediately told my God daughter but she had been looking my direction, talking about some thing or another. My heart beat faster and I got chills as I tried to logically figure out why a person would be dressed like a Halloween figure and walking at midnight on a very dangerous highway. Surely the truck in front of me had seen this figure. Someone was going to wreck out of fright just seeing this person so close to traffic. Of course I couldn't turn around to investigate, there was no place to get off the freeway for miles. As I drove I continued to look for a car that was broken down or some other way to explain where a person would have come from on this highway. There was no explanation that I could find.

That night as I drove, despite the company of my God daughter, I was very tired. Adrenalin pumped through my veins after seeing the dark figure. It seemed it was only this adrenalin that kept me from falling asleep at the wheel that night. I don't know what, or who was walking on that highway that night. It could have been a broken down motorist or a practical joker. If it was a person, they were certainly closer to the edge of traffic than anyone in their right mind should have been. I do know, however, that the inability for me to explain this figure away helped keep me awake that night.

It made me wonder, had I not seen this grim reaper, would I have fallen asleep at the wheel and had my turn with death that night? I guess I will never know.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, pinktherapist, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ccmerlin (2 stories) (16 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-02-25)
I think I may have encountered the same man in black robe up there on the side of the road. Seemed like a priest, though. He's looking for a woman - https://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=27082
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-04-01)
Rockflower - no one, especially the administrator of this site, takes any of this as a joke. But sometimes we all need a little laughter in our lives.
Rockflower (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-01)
PS, I realize it is 4/1, and that makes me mad because this story is not a joke.
Rockflower (2 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-01)
Hi,

I saw something REALLY weird on Pacheco Pass yesterday and I had no idea it was haunted.

First of all a freak cloud that looked like a Tornado was forming was at the base by San Luis Reservoir on what seemed like just a partly cloudy day. But this cloud had rainbows, lightening, and it wasn't huge. I've never seen anything like it. (I got a picture of it too and my son got video).

Then we turn onto 152 and I saw a barefoot mexican man that looked like he was in agony. I told my children, "It seems like we are in OZ, because who is that! I hope someone helps him." He was wearing some old fashioned clothes and he had a mustache. He also was barefoot. There was no car broken down, and he was just pacing frantic looking on the side of the road. He did not look like an apparition. It was a real live man (so I thought.) My daughter said she didn't see him, but my son did.

He had some kind of white bib thing that he was holding out and looking like he was going to vomit in. I thought that maybe there was a tornado and he was having a panic attack.

I got home and started to look up to see if something was reported about this incident. Instead I find out that Pacheco Pass is haunted. I got chills.

Anyway.
ashville (3 stories) (42 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-09-22)
Very interesting account... Thanks for posting. I have chills just reading it. Think the others are right though... Glad you two are okay.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-09-20)
If your theory is correct, then the figure was sort of the opposite of the grim reaper. Or perhaps just really bad at his job:)
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-09-20)
I believe you may have your answer already. For that figure to be there with no means of how it got there or what it was doing? Yes, I think you needed something with some extra punch to it in order to stay awake at the wheel. No place to stop for coffee, so it gave you the next best thing, something that would give you that jolt that was called for in situations like this. The reaper in the middle of nowhere. Now there's a road hazard you won't soon forget.

Jav
Hades666 (guest)
 
11 years ago (2012-09-20)
Spooky story, loved reading it and strange thing is that my aunt witnessed something like that a few years ago 😨
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2012-09-20)
I find accounts like this to be really scary. I think most of us have something like this in our lives, but we do not always make the connection.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-09-19)
Wow! That was spooky! 😨
I'm glad nothing bad happened to you.
Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: