You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Did We Wake Up Ghosts?

Real Ghost Stories

Did We Wake Up Ghosts?

 

I married my husband in October of 2007. Shortly after that, probably around February of 2008, we began to remodel our home. My husband had bought the house in 1979, when he was about 25 years old. He bought it from an older married couple who were moving out of state to be near their children since they were getting on in years and didn't want to be so far away from them.

My husband had essentially left the house as he bought it, except for painting and wall papering some rooms and stuff that his ex-wife had done. The only major work that had been done before we married was he had taken out a wall on the south side of the house and added a music room.

After we married we decided, (because our children were grown and it was just us living there) that we would take out the extra bedroom and basically make the house an 'open floor plan' type. We took out the bedroom walls, enlarged the kitchen and added French doors in place of a window in the west wall. Everything looked airy and light and much larger than before.

It took us several months to complete the work because my husband and brother were doing the work on their own on available weekends.

Before they started the work, I have to say I'd never really felt anything out of place in the house. A few times I had woke up in the middle of the night, thinking I'd heard or felt something, but I was never sure and never afraid.

So anyway, one of the first things that was done, was to knock out the extra bedroom's walls. It really looked different and I could already see how much bigger the house was going to seem without those walls there. That night we fell asleep quickly, but something woke me up about 2 am or so. I looked at my husband, thinking he had bumped me or something but he was fast asleep on his side of the bed. I got up to go to the bathroom and as I stepped into the hallway, I saw a shadow moving in what had been the extra bedroom. At first I thought that I was seeing things since I had just woke up. I stopped at the door of our bedroom and waited a few seconds. I looked again and saw that the shadow thing was still there and moving around as if in confusion.

It would walk toward what used to be a wall, stop and turn and walk in the other direction. I felt confusion and anxiety coming from the shadow, but I wasn't afraid. I was about to wake up my husband when the shadow just faded away. I went back to bed, (without going to the bathroom!) and finally fell asleep. I didn't say anything to my husband at all. I've always been sensitive to moods, atmosphere, etc and though he knows that, I try not to talk too much about it.

In the days that followed, whenever I was alone in the house, I would get a sense that something or someone was watching me. I felt a little uncomfortable, naturally, but not really frightened. Then my husband and brother began to 'misplace' tools and such, or their electrical tools wouldn't work and they couldn't figure out why. After they had worked with it for awhile and turned the breakers on and off a few times, they would go back to working. There had never been any problems with the electricity in the house before, but since it was so old, they rewired everything. That seemed to take care of that problem, but they still spent a lot of time looking for things! I asked my husband at that time how old this house was, but he doesn't know. The people that owned it were the builders and they had been living here for many years. He doesn't remember their names, only that they moved out of state shortly after the sale. I would guess though, that in 'house years', it's quite young, probably less than seventy anyway.

One evening I was cooking in the kitchen, this was before we had moved it, so it was still the 'old kitchen' and I felt this presence just come up behind me. It was freezing cold against my back and I had chills run all over me. I wasn't afraid, but I knew I wasn't alone. I turned around and (very bravely, I think!) said "What do you want?" I didn't get a verbal answer, but I felt as if whatever it was, was confused and wanting to ask me something. Eventually the feeling went away and I felt alone again.

Several other things like this happened while we were working on the house, but I'll just tell one more thing. When my husband and brother were putting in a new attic door, my husband was in the attic by himself. Suddenly, he called down and said, "What?!" My brother and I asked him who he was talking to and he said, "One of you asked me 'why are you doing this?'! Well, neither one of us had asked anything like that. He was pretty freaked out and hurried up and finished what he was doing and came back down. He won't go back up there even now!

He's never felt anything out of the ordinary before or since, (he says), but every once in a while, when I'm alone, I feel that same presence or whatever close by. I've tried to talk to it and say that we're sorry if we've disturbed anything and we won't do anything else, but it still comes back.

Could we have somehow disturbed a spirit or something while we were remodeling? I wish I could research the history of this house, but I have no idea how to start. Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Other hauntings by Wondering1

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Wondering1, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

lostghostgal (69 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-28)
I am From Louisiana and When you remodel yes you could wake up the ghost or ghosts with or with out a house they still on earth.
moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-09-25)
This happens quite a bit when remodelling old homes. I completely gutted a Victorian house And the spiritual activity in that place afterwards was tremendous. I could write a book on it.
Lara (2 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-24)
Once I saw on a television show (I know it doesn't sound to educated!) that these people in two bedrooms with one wall separating them, had both heard things whispering and little children crying out during the night after they had redone that part of the house so they decided to get professional help. The professionals told them that it seemed like a spirit was trapped inside the wall, so the owners of the home decided to take the wall out and after they did, the whispering stopped. I don't reccomend taking out a wall or anything because it was just a television show! Hope it helps though. 😁
Wondering1 (4 stories) (29 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-23)
Thank you, Miracles, for your comments. I believe that you may be right about the ghost feeling like a part of the family now. Several times in the past, I've 'talked' to the presence and explained what we were doing and that we meant no harm. I feel like they understand, because the activity has somewhat abated.
As I said, every now and again, I get a 'feeling' that someone is nearby, but I never feel afraid. I don't try to interact with it any longer because I feel 'better left as is' as the saying goes.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-09-23)
Wondering1 - there are many, many stories on here, as well as the internet, TV, movies (true stories) etc about people who have never experienced any paranormal activity in their home UNTIL they begin renovating.

I think you've figured it out for yourself. You saw the shadow walking around in confusion after the wall had been removed; your husband heard someone ask, "Why are you doing this?"

Imagine being a ghost and strange people come into your home and start changing things without your permission! Without even talking to you about it! I mean, seriously, how dare they! 😉 This is your home!

You'd be pretty upset, wouldn't you? I believe this is how they feel. Sometimes, and stories back me up, some of them get more than upset. They run the people out of "their" homes. You might pay the mortgage on the home, but it's still "their home."

This is just my advice and you certainly don't have to take it, my feelings won't be hurt 😊. If there's an opportunity to explain to whoever you share your home with that you just needed to make it feel like your home too, in words that you feel wouldn't upset them, I would do that. Like I said, just my advice.

You said that you can feel a change now in the atmosphere of the home. Maybe having your daughter's family next door and in and out of your home has made your housemate happy again and in one way, maybe they feel like they're part of a family again.
Wondering1 (4 stories) (29 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-22)
Thank you, Argette and Ghosts for your comments.
Every now and again, I still feel as if I'm not alone in my house, but it's not as often as before.
One thing I have noticed is that when my oldest daughter and her children are here, (which is much more often since they moved next door!) the atmosphere in my house seems to be more peaceful and sometimes there is an overwhelming sense of 'love'.
I think that maybe the spirit is satisfied and happier now.
I just wish that I knew more about the previous owners.
ghostsrreal202 (6 stories) (27 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-22)
I think that the shadow was either a previous owner or someone who died there and has come back to what it might think of as strange people in a strange place that used to be it's home. I think it's a gentle spirit, but, like everyone else, I suggest not trying to communicate with it, just in case it becomes angry with you and decides to attack. Hopefully it will accept the changes you made to the house and will move on and not be angry with you. Best of wishes!
-Ghosts
Argette (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-22)
Another very well-told story. I agree with what ForbiddenShadows said: This presence seems to trust you.

I feel there is some sadness attached to this presence somehow. Wish I had answers.

Good luck.
Wondering1 (4 stories) (29 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-22)
Thank you for your comments, Taylor.
I haven't tried to communicate with whatever it is in some time. I feel like the less 'attention' I give it, the better. 😐
I don't sense anything very often anymore. The last was a few days ago, I was sitting on the couch and saw a shadow pass over me. I thought it was my husband coming into the living room, but there was no one there. Kinda gave me a chill.
As I said, I've never been afraid. But I don't plan to encourage it either!:)
ForbiddenShadows (5 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-09-22)
Wondering1,

I have had an experience like yours before, spirits can be some-what sensitive about 60% of the time. So it may be a possibility you could have upset that spirit. If it is verbally communicating with your husband and/or you, there is also a possibility it is trying to tell you something, and may want your help. I suggest not talking to it much though, if you do, you could allow demons into your home, which will cause much more trouble for you and your family. The same thing with writing notes or writing on mist-covered mirrors.

If you have anymore concerns or questions, just ask. Also, this spirit may have a connection with you and your husband if you can sense it's presence or hear it verbally communicating with you. She/he/it is allowing you to sense/see it, which is a high possibility it trusts you, or needs your help

~Taylor 😆

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: