You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: I Was There!

Real Ghost Stories

I Was There!

 

I am a Christian, not a 'holy roller' but a Christian. I believe in God and Christ and the Bible. I try to live my life as a decent person and raise my family as such. As a Christian, I have tried to speak with a few ministers, even a Catholic Priest regarding these happenings. I have been told that if I believe in anything paranormal, I can not be a true Christian. Well, I disagree completely. I was there. I know what happened; I remember all as if it was yesterday. My sister also remembers every detail as if it where yesterday (not that she will talk about it all that much, for a long time she would not talk about it at all, to anyone).

Now, I feel I have found a venue where I can share my experiences, get them out and share them with others who are sharing as well. Before the loss of my grandpa, he acknowledged the happenings in the house. My parent also finally spoke of them. Very infrequently, then would change the subject. My parents divorced about 4 years after this, but even separately, they would not speak much about this house. When they did, they were still so frightened it almost made them seem angry.

When I was a child, about 9, my sister was 5; we lived in a small older house in Omaha. I believe they are called cement slab houses because they do not have a basement, just a cement slab as a foundation. This house had the strangest lay out I had ever and have ever seen. As you walked in through the one and only door to the house you entered the kitchen, it was very large, then a small hallway with the bathroom off to the left a little further down the hallway and there was a laundry room. At the end of this hallway was a staircase leading up to the second floor. At the top of the stairs was a bedroom, then a living room/family room, another bedroom and a sun porch.

My Grandpa had the first bedroom at the top of the stairs, and then my parents had the second bedroom after the living room. My sister and I shared the sun porch. My Mom and Grandpa had fixed it up as the perfect bedroom for little girls with curtains and heat vents, all frilly and cute.

One evening my sister and I were on the main floor readying for bed. We had been up late that night for some reason and needed to get our teeth brushed and pajamas on to get to bed. It was about 11:00 PM. I was waiting for my sister to finish in the bathroom. As she was the youngest, I let her go first. She had the door slightly ajar and I was sitting on the small step that led up from the kitchen to the hallway right outside the bathroom door reading. All of the sudden I heard my sister scream. I looked over at the bathroom door and noticed that the light had gone out. I ran into the bathroom and there on the window curtain was a man's face with longer light brown hair and beard and mustache. There was a bright red velvet cloth around his shoulders and a tremendous bright glow around his whole face and shoulders. The entire room seemed to illuminate this glow. My sister inched beside me; we were of course staring at the... whatever it was. It said "Do not turn on the lights, I will not hurt you." Yeah, right! I turned on the lights as quick as I could and it was gone. I spent the next 10-20 minutes trying to convince my sister that it was all a joke, all our imagination and we should just go to bed. I was shaking inside worse than I can remember even to this point in my life.

We went to bed. I of course was wide awake for what seemed like forever. All at once, around 1:00 AM my Dad jumps up and all of us hear a tremendous racket on the second floor, which we were on. All of the doors were opening and slamming shut, the television was turning itself of and on repeatedly, all of the lights were turning themselves off and on. We all ran into the living room. We had a small bed on wheels that folded in 2 for easy storage. It was in the closet in the living room. My mom grabbed my sisters and my hand and started to run for the doorway that would lead to the stairs and out. The bed on wheels zoomed across the floor and blocked the door way. My mom was pulling on the bed from one side and my grandpa was pushing from the other. The bed wouldn't budge. I am not sure what my dad was doing at the time, but he ran up and started pulling on the bed also. It would not move! My sister had silent tears streaming her cheeks. All of the sudden everything just stopped. We all went to the kitchen on the main floor. Calmed down with my dad trying to recite some logical answer for what had just occurred (there was none. After about half and hour, we all went back to bed, hoping to salvage some rest.)

I remember looking at the clock, it said 1:45. I must have dozed off because I was awoken again, looked at the clock and it said 3:00. The main floor was now making a terrible racket. It sounded like the house was going to crash down around us. My dad and grandpa ran to the stairs and went down to about the fourth stair from the bottom, I was supposed to stay put, again - Yeah, right! I had a hold of the back of my grandpa's robe. Again, on this floor the lights were going on and off, faucets in the kitchen and bathroom on and off, doors opening and closing. We had a gas stove in the kitchen and the burners where even igniting and then turning off over and over again. I honestly don't know how long this lasted. It all stopped, leaving the front door open. My parents and grandpas grabbed my sister and my hand and ran outside. We were outside for about 45 minutes or so when my parents decided it was their house and nobody (or nothing) was going to chase them from it. We all went back in. My sister slept with my parents, I slept with my grandpa.

There were many, many other incidents in this house. We moved about 6 months after this first night I have described. I have driven by this house many times since I have had my own family. It is still there. I know for a fact it has changed owners and renters numerous times. At the top of the hill from the house, which leads to a dead end there was a small (very small, but long) church. It was torn down about 20 years ago. It was rumored that this church had been used as a satanic church with rituals and sacrifices. I am not sure who, what or why it was torn down. It never had a sign with a name any where near the church so I could investigate further and I am not sure I would if I could. These events seemed to open up some type of 'door' because, well let's just say there have been strange things happened my entire life. Of course not everyday, but enough.

Other hauntings by KimSouthO

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Nebraska

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, KimSouthO, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-07)
Christine,
Thank you for your strong words and faith. I also thank you for your sage advice.

God Bless!
Christine (2 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-11-04)
...augh, I just caught a typo.
IJohn4:2-3 "This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does ___not___ acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world."
Christine (2 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-11-03)
I agree, it's very frightening. And the Bible does speak on the supernatural. Christ said in Luke 29:39, when he met his disciples after his death, "Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have." In I Samuel 28, after banishing the mediums from Israel as God directed, Saul decided to consult one-- to contact the spirits. He went to her in disguise, and inquired. She brought up the spirit of the prophet Samuel, and (although Saul was in disguise) she knew who Saul was.
What is extremely important in your narrative, I believe you have been given the Spiritual gift of Discernment. This is mentioned in I Corinthians 12:10, when Paul explains the different gifts given to believers. "...to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits...". My Mother has the gift of Discernment. It is critical that you understand, this feeling you have, this sensing of oppression, is very real. You are sensing evil.
I John speaks more on this; IJohn4:2-3 "This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does now acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world."
Romans 12:21 states, "Do not be overcome with evil, but overcome evil with good."
Christ says in John 16:33, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
Bottom line, yes, there is evil. And you have come across one of the most striking forms, and you have been given the gift of discernment.
Here is what you can do, read Ephesians. Ephesians 6:12 says, "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of the dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." Ephesians 6 also explains spiritual warfare, and the armor of a Christian. It explains our spiritual weapons, as Christians.
Are these statments uncomfortable for most people? Yes, they are. Many Christians prefer to ignore them, as something they can't see, and something that scares the bewhoppin's out of them.
But here's the thing: I have seen the devil defeated by Spiritual warfare. "Greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world." A Christian's warfare works, and defeats the enemy-- the evil that you've felt.
I'm not sure how much of this you already knew, or how much of this you or others may apply, but I hope you'll give credence to what I felt must be said.

Thank you for writing your statement, and holding fast.

-Christine
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
thespook,
Not on your life would I leave the light off! Who knows what kind of 'gift' I would have received! No thanks!

God Bless!
thespook (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
you should have left the lights off, see what it wanted. It could have given you a gift
rstahley (3 stories) (102 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-31)
This is truly terrifying, and I have also had conflicting feelings about ghosts because I am a Christian too. It's confusing, because I think to myself, "When we die, we go to Heaven or Hell. How do people end up still here..." However, there has to be some explanation. I always tell people too, in the Bible, when Jesus was walking on water, his disciples said, "It is a ghost..." Jesus said He was not a ghost, but he never said that ghosts don't exist. He just said that he wasn't one.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
Tiffany123,

Thank you for reading my stories.

I ahve some more experiences to share, hope to get around to them soon.

Welcome to the sight and God Bless!
Tiffany123 (1 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-02)
hi kim,
I'd like to say I've read all of your stories and they're so interesting. I finally created a user account so I can tell you I appreciate your stories. So I will be putting you and a few others on my favorites list, and I look forward to reading more.
FreeSpirit (2 stories) (11 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-06-11)
I am a believer in Christ also. I also believe in many Native American traditions. People have told me that a mixture is not possible. When I have mentioned my experiences with the paranormal, others have told me that they can't be true and I should not believe them if I am a Christian also.

Personally, I think that as long as I put my Christian duties first, that the others fit into them accordingly. I can not disbelieve what has happened to me, because they are facts. However, I can be sure not to look to dark forces for answers. Since I have been prone to unusual experiences, I try to be extra careful of that.

I appreciate your story! My family too, saw and heard things, but not the extreme that you did. I will post more of the incendents, and it is my intention to lead up to the most intense.

I think you are listed as my editor. Since I have found a couple of errors, is it possible to request corrections at this point?

I will read more of your stories. Take care and God Bless.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-24)
Thank you for reading crashkitty, metalhead16, rhodes68, for reading.

THis was the beginning of the beginning as they say to many interesting encounters and adventures through my life.

God Bless!
crashkitty (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-24)
Wow Kim. I am so sorry that this happened to you when you were so young. It's so hard to understand at any age never mind being so young! This is a great story gave me goosebumps. I can't wait to read the rest or your stories!
mpgb216 (2 stories) (26 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-15)
I would suggest, burn Frankincense (especially when you do it at 6pm for seven days), that will keep the bad entities away and if they are stubborn, put "sage". You can also buy fresh sage from the supermarket and have it dried then burn it like you're burning incense sticks.

I do that here in the U.A.E. I buy frankincense and sage and burn it whenever I feel like...
metalhed16 (14 stories) (119 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-15)
*Chills* yikes lol

Thanks for all of your comments. I noticed you have read all of my stories so I thought "Hey, I haven't read any of hers! I should do that!" lol so I'm going to stay up all night and read your stories!

I bet they're just as good as this one! Or better!

by the way... I like how you started your story. 😊 Hope your walk with Christ is a great one filled with learning, and many blessings!

God bless!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-19)
Oh, My God, kim! What a dreadful, terrifying experience to have had you and your family but mostly you kids. It's another thing to have an object moved or a sound heard and being left with the "suspicion" of something paranormal happening, or something you could, at least, make the effort to rationalize away, and a completely different thing to have such chaos taking place before your very own eyes!

I must have missed a lot of your stories so I'm doing some catching up today. How long did it take you and your sister to have a decent sleep after that night?

I think the rumors about the church must have been much more than rumors.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-18)
Demon_kid,
Imagine being there! I still dream about this night and wake up with chills!

As I said, this opened a door. I have had a, shall we say, interesting life.

God Bless!
Demon_Kid (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-11)
you have very awsome and scary stories damn thank god you turned the lights on who knows what could of happend
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-05)
Karmaphysics,
you are absolutely correct. We have no knowledge of why God has put 'things' on this earth for us to experience. I do know there are evil forces working against His goodness.
I am not sure what would have happened had I not turned on the light but I was a child and terrified. Truth be told, I would probably do the same now, even as an adult.
My family endured, and I believe made us much stronger in our faith.

God Bless!
Karmaphysics (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-04)
Hi Kim,

What you went through that night must have been very frightening. In my perspective God put us on this earth for a reason, we see and feel things that we can't comprehend or imagined existed. I don't understand either, I can only trust he knows what's best. Spirits will appear to you regardless if you want them to or not. If anything life has many mysteries, wonders and miracles just like God himself. You just happen to be one of those people who is able to experience it. As for your story, the man that appeared in the bathroom telling you not to turn on the light and also stating that he would not harm you was very creepy. However, I noticed that when you did turn the lights on a couple of hours later things started to happen. Do you think there is a connection between the two incidents? If you left the washroom light off, would it have made a difference?

Good Luck and Take care 😁
Soma (3 stories) (21 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-09-07)
Hi,
I don't think you need a church or priest to be a good Christian, so if you can't find anywhere in the Bible that Jesus said don't believe in the paranormal, then don't worry at all about what others say! That was a very interesting read, what a story:) I find it kind of amusing when these things happen in front of your eyes as a child and watching the adults stuttering as they try to come up with a logical explanation. Usually it seems much simpler to children!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-08-17)
i agree paggark.

like I said, when I have to go in the neighborhood where the house is or have to go near the house, there is such an oppression in the air, it is unbelievable.
paggark (4 stories) (25 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-08-17)
That was a scary story, I surly wouldn't go back to that house if that happened to me. Luckly you turned the lights on whent that thing or whatever it was told you not to, I senced that something really bad would have happened, other then the things you dicribed in your story. It doesn't matter what the ministers or priest say's that you shouldn't be believing in the paranormal, you can believe in anything that happenes in world. I'm a catholic and I believe in the paranormal, I believe in the things I sence around me. They shouldn't stop you from believing something that they don't understand themselves (lots of believe I wrote in 😳) Well at least you and your family are safe from what happened in that old house of your.

Hope you understand what I'm saying because I'm not really good with my english ^-^
Have a good day Kimsouth0.

paggark
Brian07891 (21 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-08-07)
Im with lexiluca, I wonder what would have happened if you didn't turn on the lights... Probally nothing good since what ever it was kept making trouble in your house.
Lexiluca (8 stories) (78 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-08-07)
AH! I don't like this, not one bit. That's some scary stuff. I wonder if any of it would have happened had you not turned on the lights. EITHER WAY - I think turning on the lights was the best way to go about it. That's some scary bizznarse right there. Jeez. *shudder*
CearysAwesome (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-07)
KimSouthO,
I agree with you. I am a Christian and I believe that there is a spiritual world out there that cannot be explained by humans. Only God knows the answer. And one thing that is part of this unknown spiritual world is demons. Yes demons. As a Christian I believe that demons and other spirits can plague our world. I believe that the word "ghost" is just another word for "spiritual unknown..."

Many blessings,
Ceary
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-06)
thank you to melon lover also.
i am also soooo glad we moved. My schedule and errands lead me near that house every now and then.
such a heavy oppressed feeling in the air around this place
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-06)
Shane, Abby and Martin

thank you for the comments and suggestions.
i did not feel the need to be vendicated, not do I now. This was my first experience with paranormal, it opened many doors for many occurances that have continued.

i visited friends near the house where we had out first night mare as described, what a heavy oppressed feeling in that neighborhood.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-05)
Just another perfect example of how if you don't conform to the churches ideals, how you are treated as an outcast. I am an ordained minister Kim and I believe you. I use to be a baptist but have turned to gnostic pagan beliefs, I do believe in a higher being, one who doesn't want us to fear it, but to love it and each other. There are things you can do to help your situation and still be a good christian. One is a Native American Smudge ceremony on your home and your family. Also wearing a cleansed charged clear quartz crystal will help to ward away any negative energies or absorb them. I have instruction on the smudge ceremony here on this site in the articles section. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
melonlover (3 stories) (50 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-05)
wow! That is very scary I'm so glad you moved 6 months after that experience or I think something even worse could of happened! I hope nothing like that happens to you again good luck! Love, the melon lover
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-05)
Dear Kim,

Why do you need to have another human being validate your experience?

Since you say you are a Christian why not just ask God and have God validate your experience.

If you need to have a Christian minister and/or priest validate your experience, you may want to continue searching for ones who will do that for you. If you search and search, you will find someone, if that is what you want, and you will not give up until you find them and their validation.

It happened so many years ago, and you are blessed to not have to experience that again. What good does it do to reopen old, past negative experiences in one's life? I can understand wanting to relate your story as a ghost story here, but other then that, I can not understand opening up a can of old rotten worms or in this case ghosts to frighten or punish oneself. You deserve better. If there is something more then it has to do with your personal present, and no longer with the past. That you will have to find personal answers for. Frankly, if it were me, I would thank God/Goddess or the Universal Creator for allowing me to have that experience as something that was a part of my past, and be thankful for the present.

Thank you for getting that off your chest. Please don't let it be a part of who you are or your life. You have so many other positive stories to tell too. Focus your attention on the positive present and love, and let that help you clean up and clean out the old baggage, so you can get on with the new and improved.--Abby
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
17 years ago (2007-08-04)
Ooooh very scary story, Kim. Quite the intense experience. On the subject of christians and the paranormal, I really am not so sure they "shouldn't" believe in it. The very conservative ones do, but they all attribute it to demonic activities. The mainstream ones usually have less problems believing some lost souls take more time than others before moving on.

The "Family / Friends Visits" category can be quite comforting and positive, you will have a hard time finding stories of people screaming "we are legions" and barfing green goo at people in those:
http://www.yourghoststories.com/ghost-stories-categories.php?category=3&page=1

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: