You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: She Didn't Want Us To Sleep

Real Ghost Stories

She Didn't Want Us To Sleep

 

I have experienced quite a few exceptionally scary things in my life, and I would like to start with experiences I had when I was 18-years old. This was in 2002.

I live in South Africa, and at that point we were living in a house that I had never had any bad or paranormal experiences in until that night. My sister and I had bedrooms divided by plank slats. Before it was one giant room, large enough to fit three full bedroom suites in if necessary. Anyway, my boyfriend at the time was visiting me that Friday night, and my sister was not home. My parents were fast asleep at this point as he and I had been watching movies until quite late. When we decided to go to bed, I took my sister's room and he took mine. I clearly remember saying good night to him and he took a cigarette out and lit it just as I left my room. I got in my sister's bed and instantly fell asleep.

The head part of her bead was pushed up against the window. The instant I fell asleep I dreamt of my cousin who had died 3 years earlier. I had loved her dearly and even up to that point had trouble coming to terms with her death. Especially because she was only 17 years old and she died very suddenly, in her sleep.

In the dream she was standing at the furthest wall in our back yard, then she started walking, heading straight for the window of the bedroom I was sleeping in. She literally walked over the water of the swimming pool, not disturbing a drop. And she had an incredibly sad look on her face. She reached the window and walked through, lifting the curtains in the process. It was at this point that I woke up, flying through the air and hitting the wall at the opposite side of the room. She wasn't there when I hit the floor and jumped up. I ran into my room and my boyfriend had jumped up out of bed when he saw me hit the wall. He still had his cigarette in his hand, not even half way finished. He told me that I hadn't even been in my room for five minutes prior to being thrown out of my bed. Needless to say, I slept in the room with him for the rest of the night.

About a week later I was busy in my room and as I turned to walk out, which meant I had to walk through my sister's part of the room, I got the distinct feeling that she was behind me. Close enough that I could hear her breathe, although it still baffles me that a spirit has to breathe. I was frozen stiff from fear, though I had grabbed the cross that hung around my neck and squeezed it so tight that the points dug holes in my palm. I stood there and finally got the courage to talk. All I could manage was, "If it's really you, please don't show yourself to me. I don't think I can handle it" and she disappeared.

Now, it just so happens that another cousin of mine had similar experiences with her around the same time. She had woken up one night with the distinct feeling that someone was watching her, and when she opened her eyes her curtains were pulled completely open and outside her window stood our cousin, with tears running down her cheeks.

My best friend at that stage was born into a family of clairvoyants. She had the ability to feel entities, but not to talk to them. Her grandmother, on the other hand, could talk to them. This friend came to me at school one day and told me that she had something to tell me but she had no idea how I would take it. I hadn't told anyone about my experiences at that point. She then proceeded to tell me that she was being followed by a young girl, and the girl was keeping her from sleeping at night. She said that her grandmother had told her what the girl looked like, so she grabbed our yearbook from 1999 and showed her a picture of my cousin. Her gran told her that was the girl who was following her around. According to her grandmother, she didn't want us to go to sleep, afraid that we would die as well.

She said that her gran had blessed her that night and she had disappeared, and since then no one has seen her again.

Following other strange experiences, I spoke to the pastor at my Church at that stage and he told me that she could very well have been tethered to the earth because I hadn't accepted her death. I later came to the point of accepting her death and had a dream where she smiled at me and told me she loved me, then she disappeared.

Other hauntings by triden07

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, triden07, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-01)
Hi Geetha
Yes, we were eventually 4 girls who all had experiences with her, right around the same time. She may have been calling out to us, trying to find peace. Or, that's what I believe anyway. She didn't belong here anymore, I think she was trying to find someone who could help her move on.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-27)
First of all, sorry for loss. It's never easy to lose someone you love and care about especially when they are so young.

Personally, I don't think your cousin knew how much strength she had for throwing you out of the bed like that and I don't think she meant to hurt you either. I hope she can rest in peace knowing that you are in peace.

I was just wondering if the rest of the family was experiencing anything with your cousin.
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-26)
Dear triden07,
I pray that may her soul rest in peace.
It was nice of you to share your story and your feelings.
I might safely concur that she didn't cause you any physical harm as she loved you lots. As for your falling against the wall, I am inclined to think that it was your own involuntary actions/reflex action as you sensed fear.

Stay calm and positive. You are really brave, believe it.

Thanks
Regards
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-09-26)
For atleast 3 years after her death, I had convinced myself that she hadn't died, she had simply gone away and she would be back any day. I was only 15 when she died and it was an immense shock.

When I started getting serious nightmares about her, where in each scenario she is dead and I acknowledge it in every instance, I sought help at the church. The pastor told me that the main reason why I was having nightmares and sensing her was because I had not accepted her death. I was keeping her here on this plain when she had no purpose here anymore.

As far as I can gather, she herself was familiar with the spirit realm. A month before her death she told me that she had dreams about a friend of hers who had committed suicide a few weeks prior, and in these dreams he kept telling her he was going to come get her. What really unnerved me about it was that she seemed calm, like she had accepted it would happen.

She was an epileptic, which is what caused her death, a massive ceasure in her sleep that caused every vein in her head to burst. I have often wondered if the epilepsy opened her to paranormal experiences.

Thanks all for talking this through with me, she passed away the 15th of December 1999 and I still miss her dearly.
seeing (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-25)
what does it mean when you say you accepted her death.

Anyhow, lovely story.
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-25)
My cousin and I were extremely close, we were best friends, and i'd hate to think that she would ever, living or dead, do anything that would cause me harm. So, I'd take any explanation of what I experienced that night. I really don't mind alternatives 😉
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-25)
Thanks for replying so soon triden07.

I will leave the paranormal explanations to my experienced friends, as mine will be insignificant compared to theirs', of that I am sure. 😊

Pardon me, I don't want to offend you, but I want to give you something to think about.
Have you ever been found sleep-walking? It might not have ever happened earlier, but there's always a 1st time!
During your sleep walking you might have tripped over something and went against the wall.
Please do not be offended. I am not providing explanations. You might call them intelligent/unintelligent guesses of mine.

Thanks
Regards
Bluerose19 (3 stories) (164 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-25)
Such a beautiful and touching story... It really has filled my eyes...

How caring she was,, and I hope you really have the reason now to sigh in relief that she's happy now and has finally been able to leave for the other world...
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-25)
Hi Sceptic-Ari
The room we had was initially one huge room, which was then divided with planks to make it 2 smaller rooms. So there wasn't a door between the 2 rooms, and from my bed you could see the foot end of her bed.

Yes, I was thrown out of the bed. The first moves I made of my own accord was to jump up off the floor, as I hit the wall facing the foot end of the bed.

I know it sounds strange, but it was a horrible experience.
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-25)
Dear triden07,
Congratulations on your stories being published on this site.

I got some questions, if I may;
You said,"at this point that I woke up, flying through the air and hitting the wall at the opposite side of the room." Did you mean that you were thrown out of the bed, onto/against the wall? Or did you jump in fright and fell against the wall?
You said you and your boyfriend were in separate rooms when you had the dream. Yet you stated that,"my boyfriend had jumped up out of bed when he saw me hit the wall." I am confused as to how could that happen!
Later you say,"I turned to walk out, which meant I had to walk through my sister's part of the room." Do you both share a room?

Pardon me, if I seem silly.

Apart from these, I feel very sad for your cousin who died so early. Why did she have to depart so soon?
I am so sorry for your loss, but you seem to be a brave soul.

Regards

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: