You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Silent Footsteps In The Dark

Real Ghost Stories

Silent Footsteps In The Dark

 

Let me start by saying that I have a huge interest in reading about paranormal activities. I'm thrilled I found this site and I love getting spooked (but not face to face). I have only encountered two in my life and I don't look forward to coming upon any others.

The first time a ghost spooked me happened when I was about 11. I used to live in the country in a small populated town, Holiday Lakes, Texas, where the homes were very old and in bad condition. We lived in a very poor house with no A/C, heater, carpet, walls... It was just really ugly. Now, I don\ t know the history of the house or who lived there before us because you just don't think of that when you are 11, but in our back yard, which was a huge land there was an old abandoned burned roof for years. Me and my brother played by it but I always got a creepy feeling that something tragic happened.

One late night, I am lying in my bedroom which I shared with my brother and sister. The bedroom is very plain, the door is right by a wall that was supposed to be a long closet but since there was no door we had a drawer instead and in front was my bed. My cousin was baby-sitting us and she was lying with us too. My brother and sister were asleep but me and my cousin stayed up talking with the lights off. While me and my cousin are talking we start hearing footsteps. Now this house is really old and the floors are made of old wood and it was high off the ground so you can hear it very clearly. The floor was creaking and the steps were getting closer. I knew it was a ghost the second I heard it because no one was home! I whispered to her, "Carmen do you hear that?" She whispered back, "yes." The footsteps came in the bedroom (the door was already open) and I just sat there frozen in the pitch black. My mom kept her documents in one of the drawers and I started hearing papers being moved around! I was so scared but I just kept listening. It just sounded as if someone was looking for something.

My cousin, who is very brave, cleared her throat really loud, got up, and went toward the door to turn on the light. The noise stopped completely and my cousin walked out of the room leaving me there. I didn't say anything I just stared at the drawer with my eyes and mouth wide open until she came back. I was so freaked out! But my cousin came back with a knife saying, "whoever is out there needs to leave us alone!" I just watched her but I was thinking you don't need the knife you can't hurt it...

I never heard anything else again and I don't remember being scared after that. I have always been the type to pretend they are not there maybe that's what I did. I feel that if you don't acknowledge them they won't bother you. It is just a frightening feeling for me to let a ghost know I know he is watching me.

I know this is not a WOW story but it was my moment where I knew they are real and something I don't like experiencing, reading about it is scary enough!

Thanks for reading my story. Have a spooky day!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, curious-cat, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Dee-J (12 stories) (69 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-19)
curious-cat: I know this story is 3 years old, but I just had to say that it really sent a chill down my spine when I read it. Woa!

Your cousin was definitely brave for doing what she did. I would totally freak if I heard footsteps and knew a ghost was in my room. Again, your story was definitely a good read and I favorited it.

Thanks for sharing.
curious-cat (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-08)
Thanks for reading my story! I talked to my cousin and my sister about it a few days ago. My cousin doesn't remember anything about that night, which is strange! Because that was a scary night to remember. My sister was actually awake that night but I didn't remember. My sister said she never heard another noise again but she clearly remembers the same thing I do.
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-01)
Your cousin certainly does sound brave to react the way she did! I wonder what it was all about? The noises I mean, hmmm ~ponders~
sssi (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-01)
yes, but I don't remember, I know it wasn't good enough. Nevermind, there's a lot of other good stories here. I will write my own better next time. 😊
sssi (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-01)
i think that my english isn't that bad but when I write I feel unsecure. I don't know. I know the words but its somewhat hard for me to spell them. There is croatian site about super natural but I find it to be full of really paranoid, scared kids. It didn't work for me.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-10-01)
sssi - the reason your story was returned to you unpublished, was explained to you when it was returned.
Blackmoonmage20 (1 stories) (58 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-01)
Sssi,really? Your story wasn't published? I thought that someone will edit your story so it will not have any corrections. But also maybe, they can't really understamd because of your grammar. I don't mean to criticize you, just saying possibilities. 😊

And curious-cat,what is your other experience?

Share further experiences. God bless!
sssi (4 posts)
-2
12 years ago (2012-09-30)
Hey! I have had some very similar experiance. Same age, old house, cousins, footsteps... Funny! I have tried to publish it here, but they declined it, I think becouse of my poor english or perhaps it wasn't mindblowing like some other stories here.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: