You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Odd Little Things Happening

Real Ghost Stories

Odd Little Things Happening

 

Nothing much really has happened in the way of encounters but I do believe in ghosts.

When my kids were babies I used to hear someone/something hush them to sleep if they were cranky. A few years ago my son's room smelled like cigarette smoke. (He was about 4 years old) I spoke out loud not to smoke in his room and it stopped. Nothing else out of the ordinary until the last few weeks.

Lately I have been getting into the habit of closing my childrens' bedroom doors while they are at school. They are 10 and 8, and do not feel like looking at their messes while I'm home and I refuse to clean their rooms. Even my daughter will keep her room door closed out of habit now.

One day while we were eating dinner my daughter says "I just heard my door open". I blow it off and told her the windows are open or maybe something else made the noise. My husband agreed with my daughter that is was the bedroom door and he heard it too.

She replies back, "But my door was completely closed, clicked shut". She swears she closed it but chalked it up to just that she did not close it all the way. Well that night my son's room smelled like cigarette smoke again.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago and I was off work during the day (I work nights) and went to put my daughter's shoes away. This only consists of me opening her door and tossing her shoes on the floor. I put my hand out to grab her door knob and realize the door is open. Now I would just say she forgot, but 15-30min earlier I had closed my son's door and looked to my daughter's door to see if it was closed and it was.

Fast forward again to yesterday morning and evening. I had worked Saturday night and came home to my happy son awake and greeting me at the door on Sunday morning. I relax for a few minutes and talk to him and when I go to sit down I notice a half eaten granola bar on the desk table. I asked my son to please finish it as not to waste it. He said it was not his. (my kids are not good liars and seldom do so) There would be no reason for him to deny it since it was not taboo to eat it in the morning. Needless to say I left it there so whoever left it can clean it up from last night. Both my husband and my daughter deny it. Again no reason to lie.

Well I ended up feeding it to the dogs and started preparing for bed. There were brownies on the counter and I asked my husband to please make sure to save them for the kids. The kids wanted them for school on Monday. My hubby loves sugar and will eat all the cookies in the house.

Well when I got up that afternoon, I noticed that the brownies were eaten except for a small piece. I do not care but was concerned that my hubby ate them. He again denies this and so do the kids. It was their brownie and could have eaten them already anyhow. I spent a good part of the day trying to get it out of them and they swear up and down. My husband does not sleep walk but he was going to say that was what happened since we could not figure it out.

Here is the latest.

I was supposed to work Sunday night (last night) but got canceled and ended up staying awake all night. But at 0300 I turned the tv off and tried to climb into bed for a few hours. It lasted about 30 minutes. I got up and went into the living room and the tv was on. Now I know I turned it off because my dog runs to the bedroom when I turn it off because she wants to go the bedroom with me. She did her typical routine and I placed the remote control on the couch cushion with a kindle fire next to it. One of my dog likes to get on the sofa but he won't if anything is on it. So when I noticed that the tv was on I peeked over the couch arm and there was the remote just as I left it. I smelled cigarette smoke for a split second also, no doubt about it. Made me want one for a moment too.

I have been awake since.

Not one event seems significant but put it all together and it is just weird.

Nothing feels scary, but I have always felt a presence but barely.

My neighbor next door lived here when the original owners lived here. The house was built in 1954 and the couple lived here until they died in the late 80's/early 90's. My neighbor said they were very nice but did not know what they died of or where.

I am not concerned but thought my story was interesting to post.

Thank you for reading.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, strwbryblnd, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

laura-ann (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-09)
Hi there,
It sounds to me as if the brownies simply disappeared? We can't assume they were eaten:-) an interesting series of events though, thanks for sharing! 😊
Perhaps (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-30)
I have the same experiences with smelling cigarrette smoke. I have never thought much of it, except that it's very strange because I don't smoke and no one else in my home smokes. It has been happening for years... I will suddenly smell cigarrette smoke so strong that I have to stop and look around... Then it vanishes as quickly as it came, and it won't happen again for months. We just moved into a brand new home that we had built for us so I can no longer chalk it up to previous owners smoking in the house becuase I'm the first owner.
(And oddly, my son and I are the only ones who ever smell it.)
I am very interested in what insight people might offer you on here...
strwbryblnd (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-02)
I agree with everyone now that the food is not anything more than my husband. I got off early last night and low and behold another half eaten grain bar on the table. This time he was awake enough to admit it was his. Everything else I can't explain. We had quit smoking years ago and never smoked in the house. No neighbors are close enough for the smoke to come from them.
In regards to checking my daughter's door, she did and closed it too. We have a very very small house and everything can be heard in any part of the house. If someone was breaking in my two 75lb pups would let us know.
I would keep a journal but the happenings started when the kids were babies and happen so sporadically that I did not think to write anything down. And I was in nursing school and very busy.
I have a big feeling it is the woman who built the house who oversees us. My neighbor knew her and thought highly of her.
Ghosts do not bother me. I work as a nurse overnight in a hospital. I have heard some stories from others but not too much that I encounter myself.
I have a couple of more stories and will post soon.
One of which is my daughters. But different spirit.
Thanks for your feedback, Shelley
makisupa76 (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-25)
I enjoyed your story, however I agree with the earlier comment, you should keep a journal and then you will better be able to look for a pattern or explaination
Audrone (13 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-11)
If I were eating dinner and heard a door open or close, I would have been concerned someone was trying to break in. You didn't mention you checked your daughter's door at that point, did you?
Sambear30 (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-11)
That was an interesting story. I've had simular expiriences. Please send more stories. Would like to hear more from you.
mountainess (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-11)
I have to agree with southerntk, why would a ghost need or want to eat? Post more please! ❤ 😁
southerntk (4 stories) (75 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-11)
Everything seems paranormal except the eating part. Why would a ghost want to eat? It could have fed the dog though. Were the containers still in the same spot. Very odd. I am stumped by the food.
majikflute (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-10)
I have a feeling your dog is the granola bar and brownie eating culprit!
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-10)
strwbryblnd: I get the feeling that there may be a more then 1 spirit attached to the home and by no means does it sound harmful, I think there is an older spirit perhaps just looking out for the home and your family and maybe a small cheeky one eating your food lol. Either way I think they just want a bit of attention now and then and it doesn't seem negative. I hope you find out some good history regarding the house and land! Thanks for sharing.

Dan
SirenBelva (7 stories) (64 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-09)
I have never heard of a ghost that eats your food (not saying it doesn't exist). I would likely blame it on the kids or hubby though without more definite proof.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-08)
cigg smoke (smell) does have a way of getting from one part of a house to another. Even from one house to another- depending on wind/open windows and such.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-08)
it is very interesting. My suggestion (as well as others I'm sure) would be to keep a journal and see if you can tie any of the events together with time of day, a certain smell or a certain happening. Do some research of the previous owners and see what you can come up with. Doesn't sound scary per se, but a bit unsettling.
Abinnn (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-07)
Indeed a very interesting post. I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: