You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Scratching

Real Ghost Stories

Scratching

 

I've had many odd happenings with the unexplained throughout my 18 years of life, but this one incident definitely scared me the most.

This is an event that happened a couple years ago in my mother's former (newly constructed) house. My mom and step dad lived there, and me and my sister were staying for the weekend. She had three dogs at the time, one was a new dog whom replaced a dog that had sadly recently died of natural causes. I had my own room in my mothers new house, which was a two story, five bedroom house. I slept upstairs in a small bed with a TV with no cable set up yet.

It was late one night, I have no idea the time, but I had woken up for some reason. I always got bad vibes from the closet in my room, which was very close to my bed. I would walk in it during the day, and it was fine, but it still creeped me out.

Anyhow, I woke up one night for whatever reason and was trying to fall back asleep when I heard a scratching sound. I don't know whether it came from my closet or from the door to my room which is very close to the closet. Again, I had three dogs at the time, and the scratching was very faint so I ignored it, though it did scare me. I kept my eyes closed and thought, if it happens again I'll investigate or go sleep in my sister's room.

As I lay in my bed facing the closet, I heard the scratching again, but it was incredibly loud, it sounded as if my big chow mix was scratching very loud at my door. I could not tell if it was my closet or the door to my room, but I jumped out of bed and ran to my sisters room where she was asleep. I spent the rest of the night in that room. The creepiest part to me was that when I opened the door to run across the hall to my sisters room, none of my dogs were in sight.

When I asked my mom about this the next day she thought I imagined it, and said the house could not have been haunted, because it was a brand new house. I still question what happened there to this day though.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Autumnpanda, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ghostgirl55443322 (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-15)
haha yes I hate how parents say ghosts arnt real and things can't be haunted WHEN they can be! I loved your story very intresting your room sounds like it is set up just like mine... Closet next to the door 🤔 well anyway I would also be scared cause I'm the kind of person that can be easily scared if it happens in real life or is visible like on t.v in a story kind of but not as much
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-10-13)
I know everyone says to check the history of the land, but that doesn't help you get started, does it? What you might want to look into is the Agricultural Dept at the closest University, and being Texas I know they've got Aggies there (sorry for the pun😁). Visit the local Historical Society for more background information as well. You'd be surprised what they have. And last, but not least, your local city library. Go straight to the librarian and ask where to look, they are very knowledgeable about this sort of thing and they are good at finding things quickly.
Good luck with the search, if you do decide to do it. Let us know what you find.

Jav
Sapphire_Flames (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-13)
I agree with all the other comments. Look into the history of the land your house is in, and it may very well be an animal, if not, you may have disturbed a spirit who may have died on that land.

An interesting story, thank you for sharing it. 😁
yemolin203 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-12)
I feel this way too Autumnpanda, at my house the closet is the scariest place because I hear the same noises. I did check for animals like raccoons and that but there wasn't any so I would probably do what Sambear30 said. Check the history of the area.
Isolde (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-12)
The age of an house (and its former inhabitants) can be a reason for a haunting, but there are many more. You can google them just to see. I lived in a 'young' house that had some serious haunting going on.
Sambear30 (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-12)
Look on the history of the area maybe it was a battle ground. 😊 It could be an animal like Miricals51031 said.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
12 years ago (2012-10-12)
Autumnpanda - what made you think it was something related to "haunted"? My first thought would have been an animal like rats, raccoons, opposums, etc.

Always try to rule out normal explanations before looking at paranormal. And just because a house is new doesn't mean these critters aren't and can't find a way in. "Where there's a will, there's a way."

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: