You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Not Really Home Alone

Real Ghost Stories

Not Really Home Alone

 

From the years 1993 to 1995, my family lived in a duplex/apartment in the small port city of Duluth, MN. The house had 2 units, one upstairs, one downstairs. Before we moved into the upper unit I had never experienced a nightmare. It wasn't until a few months after moving in I starting experiencing the bad dreams. I would sneak into my mom's room and sleep next to her bed on the floor so she wouldn't know I was scared. It didn't take her long to find out what I was doing. I can't remember my dreams, but I do remember sensing some sort of evil presence. I was so afraid of these dreams; and they happened almost every night!

One night when my family (parents/siblings) were sitting around in the living room watching TV, my younger brother whom was only 8 at the time came out of the bathroom and asked "Who went down the hallway?" and we all turned and looked at him and told him no one was there but us. To this day my brother still swears up and down he saw "someone" walk down the hallway. It wasn't long after this that my sister saw "something" at the corner of her eye too.

When it comes to other people's accounts whether they be people I know or stories I see on TV, I am always skeptical. But when I think about what happened to me when I was home alone one night when I was 12, it still scares me like the night it happened.

The night I am talking about, I was out of town with my friend, but she became sick and her dad decided to bring me home early. It was a 4 hour drive so I didn't get home until around midnight. I let myself in with my key and realized my mom must have decided to stay the night at her sister's, so when I got home, I was alone. I went to my room, watched a little TV and around 1:30am I decided to go to sleep. About 10 minutes after I turned the TV off I started to hear a light rapping sound. It slowly got louder until it was a full blown pounding; almost like the sound of someone pounding nails in the wall in another room. It was so loud, I got up to see if it was someone knocking on the door. Soon as I left my room it stopped. I went to the kitchen to grab a knife, then went back to my room. The pounding started again. I was so afraid I slept with a knife and the TV on. Some of you are probably going to say it was probably the neighbors. But I left a very important FACT out. We had no neighbors. The other unit had no tenants. There is only one explanation for the noises I heard that night.

To this day I stand by what I know I heard. One last thing, I recently found out the house was built in 1891!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Minnesota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, amycakes83, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-06-14)
You should have seen the things I was thinking it meant 😆 And none of them were "original poster" 😉
Kiego (2 stories) (52 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-06-14)
ahhhhhhh...Well thank you for the insight miracle. I couldn't for the life of me figure it out. Last time I checked it meant OUT PATIENT lol.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-06-14)
Kiego - o/p means original poster. I had to ask that same question once upon a time too 😆
Kiego (2 stories) (52 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-14)
what does O/P mean? Aparently I can't send just this question because I have to have at least 50 characters... There you go =)
blacksky (1 stories) (18 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-15)
Spooky! 1. Very brave for staying by you're self at that young age. 2. Why not call mom and say hey I'm home? 3. Is there more to the story?
Good luck 😊
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-18)
beautifuleden,

While I agree with your comment I feel I have to point out something...

The O/P stated this...

"I was out of town with my friend, but she became sick and her dad decided to bring me home early. It was a 4 hour drive so I didn't get home until around midnight. I let myself in with my key and realized my mom must have decided to stay the night at her sister's, so when I got home, I was alone."

When I take my kids friends home I drop them off and wait until they are safely inside the house then drive off. If the O/P didn't find out her mother was not home until after her friends Father had drove off and her friends Father did not have a cell phone... You can see where that train of thought is going... The O/P more than likely just locked the doors and explained what happened to her mother when she got home.

Of course that's just a guess on my part...I'll wait for the O/P to verify.

Respectfully,

Rook
beautifuleden (2 stories) (66 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-18)
My gosh! I can't believe that your friends father would drop a 12 year old girl at home alone at midnight! Your mother must have been furious with him when she found out, I hope she gave him a piece of her mind!
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-17)
Hello Amycakes83, except that the house was built way back in 1891, you have not given any further information. Did you investigate about this matter by talking to your neighbours. The sightings might be residual but you said the pounding when you were home alone. I don't think that has got anything to do with residual haunting. I beg to differ with flyclarinet in that respect because if it were residual, then it would have happened either before or after, whether you were home alone or not. I have no doubt that the encounters are paranormal. If you had investigated the matter, please keep us updated.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
flyclarinet (1 stories) (36 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-17)
sounds like a residual haunting since it was built so long ago. As if the builders of the apartment were hamering the nails for the walls and such and checking each room.
Argette (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-16)
That must have been a frighteningly long night, Amycakes. (BTW, I think you friend's father was a bit irresponsible in not calling your mother first to let her know he was bringing you home.)

As for the person walking down the hallway, I think too often these sightings and the sightings out of the corner of the eye have been dismissed as "just your imagination."

Your story reminds me of something I've dismissed, too, and I cannot recall what it is. But sooner or later, it will surface.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: