You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: I Hated My Best Friends House

Real Ghost Stories

I Hated My Best Friends House

 

I don't know if it's an over active imagination, extreme sensitivity, or what, but I've got many stories. I am very glad to be able to share them here with people finally. I truly believe in spirits and that they exist. Some people don't believe, that is fine. Perhaps they are just not sensitive. I don't know.

I was in high school and my best friend invited me over to her house after school. She drove us there and we walked in. Her house was creepy. For one, all the curtains were heavy so the house was dark. The panelling was dark brown, the carpet was dark brown.

The house was built against a hill so it sort of had 2 floors to it. You could open a closet and drop down a set of three steps and walk up the steps into the attic, which had been dry walled and was technically an additional floor. The main entry level was technically the middle floor. It housed two bedrooms belonging to my best friend and her sister. One of the bathrooms and the main living space shared this floor. At the end of the room opposite the front entry door was a set of stairs. These stairs went down into the kitchen, dining area, kind of a pantry space beyond it, and then the master bedroom. The downstairs area made me want to panic. I hated going down there. It was frightening to me. I asked my best friend if she'd ever thought her house to be haunted as I got this horrible feeling from being there. She said to me "Oh yeah it's totally haunted" and spread her hands out flat toward the field next door to her. She was full blooded Indian and the way she did it was indicative of how an American Indian would indicate the entirety of an area. Kind of neat how she did that. "This open field here isn't built on because it was found to be a burial ground. There's non-Indians buried there, but some of the archaeologists found it was originally an Indian burial ground. Because of that, nobody builds there. We figure we get visitors from there". Great. Just great.

This one day we stopped at her house because she had to run in and get some clothes. She was staying the night at my house. I went in with her and was standing in her front room as she ran back and forth from bedroom to bathroom getting her things together. I had noticed no one else was home, but I heard shuffling around downstairs. I asked her "Hey, someone's downstairs. I thought nobody was home" She stuck her head out and listened and whispered "No we are supposed to be the only ones here" Swallowing my heart, she stepped out beside me. We listened to someone or something clearly moving pots, pans, and a chair sliding out from the table downstairs. We tiptoed across the front room floor and heard footsteps come across the kitchen downstairs. It came closer to the steps and began coming up the steps. You could hear each stair squeaking. The only problem was, we were peering DOWN the steps and nothing could be seen - only heard. I looked at her. We backed up three steps. You could hear it walk past us with the floor squeaking from being walked on. It walked into her sister's room and the door swung shut about halfway on its hinges.

I don't think my feet touched the floor as I went out the front door.

YET I managed to allow myself to be talked into staying the night there once. I was woken by something shaking my feet at the end of the bed trying to wake me up. I saw a shadow. It scared me so bad that I got up at 3 in the morning and went home.

I adore my friend but her house... Yike.

They moved out some years later. That house is still there. Nobody moved into it. Nobody goes near it. Nobody touches it. Two decades later, there it still sits. Vacant with its secrets inside, though I've witnessed them. It doesn''t fool me. It's waiting. I can tell.

Other hauntings by AndiiFL

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AndiiFL, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Nard666 (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-22)
creepy stuff! Great story by the way. You know what too be honest I have never seen any ghost but I ve heard stuff before.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-21)
AndiiFL: The submissions page should be open in the morning...Don't expect the stuff to post too soon though, we've been really busy in our private lives and sometimes YGS comes last 😆 😆
AndiiFL (4 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-20)
Sorry folks, I had another couple of stories but it seems the website owners have cutoff new story submissions.: (
AndiiFL (4 stories) (8 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-20)
Thank you for your responses everyone. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I was 15/16 years old when these situations happened. I am sure I would have reacted a little more calmly than I did, of course. Being that age, dramatics are what they are.

The house is heavy feeling, overall. The dark paneling, heavy curtians, dark furniture and dark carpet added to the heavyness. That's what I used to think caused how I felt there. I was not old enough to really understand and take stock of how I felt like I felt and why. I understand more of it now and am in tune with myself. I think now I would walk in there and know so much more.

My friend had moved out of the house by the time I was part of the investigation group. I would LOVE to go back there and run one. Even my friend said that would have been a good house to look at, though SHE was sure it was a demon. I have no idea, honestly.

Update on the house, because I talked to her about posting this story the other day. She said someone bought the house but put a mobile home on the property. The owner said he can't live in that house. It has 'too much going on'. She didn't ask for specifics. She already knows. LOL
Audrone (13 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-19)
You've said in other posts that you work with other paranormal investigators. Have you thought about investigating this house?
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-18)
😨 And the fact that the house still remains empty... As if it wants to remain that way 😨
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-18)
Dear AndiiFL,
I am writing this right after adding your story to my favourites list. IT WAS AWESOME!
As I began reading, I could not stop myself from thinking that what a scaredy cat you are afraid of heavy curtains, brown rugs and dark panelling, feeling all superior myself; suddenly... What the crap! You scared the shiat out of me! And sitting here, in sunlight, in the middle of the day, I am still having that eerie feeling that I had while reading when something/one walked past you whom you couldn't see! Holy Macaroni 😨
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-17)
Very creepy story, I had a shiver going down my spine reading this!

Jav has made an interesting comment about weird houses. I think some houses (much like people at times) give off weird creepy vibes. You just know that something is off and you just don't want to go near the place.

Every neighbourhood has one. You know the one that people cross to the opposite side of the street so they don't have to walk by? The one that you look at and instantly get that overwhelming sense of apprehension about?

Thanks for sharing these creepy tales. I have really enjoyed your stories. I would love to hear more if you have any. 😊
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-17)
A well-told story. The events you describe are very plausible. Scary, too. It is often a series of such events that defines a haunting, I suspect.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2012-10-17)
Very creepy... And it reminds of a house around the corner from us. That place has bothered me ever since we bought our place over 20 years ago. Now I've got the creepin' jumps about that house from reading your account. The weird thing about the house is the way it sits on the bend in the road, it's almost invisible. You can forget it's there for longest amount of time, then suddenly you notice it as you're driving past. It gives me the creeps bad. All boarded up, yard overgrown with weeds, the back fence came down during a monsoon a few years ago and has never been repaired or replaced. But even stranger than all that... No one breaks into it. Ever. I've checked the police reports online. Nothin'.

Thank you for scaring the crap out of me. 😲

Jav
ashville (3 stories) (42 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-17)
Very cool account, IS that why she moved? Thanks for sharing:)
Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-17)
Extremely creepy story. I wonder if the house remains empty because prospective buyers were put off by the source of the haunting.

Thanks for sharing,

Lakota73 😊
Siskakes (4 stories) (68 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-17)
I really enjoyed this story! Well done! Your friend only moved out later after that incident, did anything else ever happen to her at the house?
Desir3 (2 stories) (19 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-17)
This is well written I must say. Very creepy too, but luckily your bestfriend and her family never got harmed or so. Good thing they moved out of that house.
Thanks for sharing! Xoxo
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-17)
Like the way you have written this. I wonder if haunted places are still active when people are not living in them and spirits carry on with their business. You are secretly brave lol. Take care x

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: