You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Nighttime Apparition

Real Ghost Stories

The Nighttime Apparition

 

In February of 2009 one of my best friends tragically committed suicide by hanging himself. I was one of the last people to see him alive before he died and his death was absolutely devastating to me. I used various strategies to cope with my grief. One of the most helpful of those strategies was to adopt a small dog from the animal shelter. This is the most intelligent, sensitive dog I have ever had the pleasure of sharing my life with.

Since my friend's death there have been several instances of him visiting me in my dreams and apologizing for taking his own life, etc. Those dreams have always been a comfort to me--whether they were really influenced by my deceased friend or not.

One night I went to bed as usual. I always cradle my dog in my arms while I sleep. He is small and he fits into my arms perfectly. I spoon him in my sleep and I joke that he is my little hot water bottle. He is a great comfort to me and I feel very lucky to have found him.

The same year in the middle of the night between 2-3 am I awoke to my dog's shackles bristling my nose. My dog was shaking and he was groaning/growling in a very hushed volume. I felt something stroke my hair out of my face. I looked up and in the ambient light from my alarm clock and TV I saw a very tall, shadowy figure standing above me, beside my bed. My dog was staring directly at the figure. I immediately sat up because I was frightened and exclaimed, "What the (expletive)!?" The figure slowly dissipated. There was a crackling in the air and a sound that was reminiscent of static electricity.

My mother called from down the hallway, "What is wrong!?" I got up and took my dog with me to her room and told her about my experience. I was terrified and so I slept with my mother that night even though I was 24 years-old at the time.

The next day my mother's coworker who is sensitive to paranormal things told me that I had manifested the apparition because I had been so stressed out. To this day I still do not know what to believe. There is a possibility it was my deceased friend checking on me. That could have been why he dissipated when I screamed. The experience frightened me. I do not believe that my friend would have intended to do that to me. The figure did stroke my hair, though. If my dog had not reacted to the figure I would have probably convinced myself that the whole thing hadn't even happened.

I also told my father about my experience. He is quite sensitive, himself and he told me that when he was 16 years-old the EXACT same thing happened to him but that when the figure touched him it was searing hot. He also had a dog in the room with him that growled.

Do you think it was my friend visiting me or something else? I appreciate any and all input. Thank you for reading.

Other hauntings by SirenBelva

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SirenBelva, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

amberlovick1431 (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-02)
i personally don't think it was your friend because he/she would not have intended on scaring you, also if your dad had the same experience there might be a link between the two sightings. 😁
Isolde (guest)
+2
11 years ago (2012-10-25)
SirenBelva, thank you for your reply. I didn't make from your story that the dreams had ended, so hence my comment. I hope your friend is in a better place.
SirenBelva (7 stories) (64 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2012-10-24)
Thank you. Although it scared me, I hope that it was my friend. [at] Isolde, I did tell him that I forgive him. I talk to him all the time. I do hope he has moved on. Like I said, that was back in '09 and there have been no recurrences.
Isolde (guest)
+2
11 years ago (2012-10-24)
I'm sorry about the loss of your friend. It seems that he is lingering on, because maybe he is looking for forgiveness (refering to the dreams). Did you tell him that you forgive him? If he shows up again, maybe you could, if you do.
Okay, I'm going to take a leap here, but maybe it is a possibility that your friend's spirit is growing a bit frustrated because it doesn't get what it needs to
Pass on?

By the way, the fact that a spirit stroked your hair, is not by definition a sign that it is good!
Jesus_soldier (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-24)
I think that spirit was your friend. It seems like he was checking up on you. I hope he moved on by now and put his soul to rest. I can only imagine holding that pain in the afterlife. Suicide not only ruins that poor soul, but it tears a hole into the hearts of their loved ones. I'm sorry for your lost, and thank you for sharing.

JS aka Brandon

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: