You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: When Coyote Howls

Real Ghost Stories

When Coyote Howls

 

Despite my paranormal experience as a kid, nothing else occurred until I was about twenty-five. I became a divorced mother of two young girls and took a job at El Coyote in Netcong, NJ. It's a bright pink building with a long history. Before Coyote, it was two restaurants. Club 21 and Nellie Burke's.

When I started working, no one ever mentioned anything to me about the strange things that would happen there. No one told me about the voices and the shadows and that when your hair stood straight up on your arms when you went downstairs was a common occurrence. I think they were waiting for me to tell them.

My very first experience was the knocking on the window. We had closed up for the night and I was going to meet other employees for an after work drink. I was the last one out, parked down in the back on the ramp. The kitchen was right above me. I unlocked the car and heard the pounding on the windows. I looked up, the kitchen was pitch black. I felt the hair on the back of my neck prickle and my hands shook with my keys. Three more hard raps on the window and I couldn't bring myself to look up again. I bee lined for the bar we were all meeting at.

When I arrived Brenda looked at me and asked if I was okay. Apparently, I was very pale and had a hard time describing what had just happened. When I told her and the others they just smiled and said "Coyote ghost make contact?". Of course I was intrigued. Scared, yet curious. I started talking to Bill the head bartender. There were many nights he stayed after closing and heard only noises in the beginning. He heard silverware jingling by table forty. He saw shadows moving through the dining area and would investigate finding no one. Soon after, he told me of the manifestation.

He was cleaning up, catching some t.v. when he heard the front door click. You can't see the front door from the bar but when people come in you can see their shadows on the one entry way wall because of the chandelier in the lobby. He walked to the lobby and found not a soul. He walked the dining room once, thinking they went inside but again it was darkness. He walked back toward the front door only to see the form of a man. He was middle-aged, wearing a white and black striped sweater with a closely cropped beard. He told me that upon seeing the dude, he screamed like a little girl! Big burly, biker Billy screamed. I had to laugh.

Sometimes, when I work, I hear my name being called. Easy enough in a place where you worked for the last thirteen years. But when no one really is calling you, that's when you feel it. Your customers don't want you, your co-workers didn't either, that's a freak out. It's not just me, it's all of us! The voice could be male or female and knows each and all of us because the staff has been there forever.

The poor bus kids won't go downstairs alone. My nephew (who I suspect may be gifted on his mom's side) has seen the same shadow I have, casually leaning in a doorway downstairs observing us getting supplies. He quit. Ouija's didn't help. I don't like tangling with them anyway. We decided to call in researchers. Ironically, before they came, the relatives of the previous owners came in. Lynn was their waitress and told her the craziest story.

Downstairs used to be a bar as well as the one upstairs. When her grandpa would close Nellie's he would call the cops at least twice a month, swearing there were people hiding downstairs. Bar stools could be heard moving around, bottles would clank but when the old man came down it would stop.

TSPR came in a few months later. Activity was low, but the second time they returned there was lots more. A few entities occupy the building. I urge you to visit tsprghosts.com Netcong, NJ. There's pictures, video and EVP readings that were not picked up the first time. Or you can google El Coyote, Netcong.

Unfortunately, our owner died. We all still work there though but the place has been so quiet. I keep urging the new owners for renovations to see if our 'friends' will contact us. We miss them but maybe they moved on. And if that means peace for them then that's cool with me.

Other hauntings by gbeach

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, gbeach, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-29)
Gbeach,hi. I don't know if you will ever read my comment as it's been a while since you wrote this story.(you see I'm a new member). I was fascinated by the accounts you describe here because I, myself, am the owner of a not so "quiet" bar-restaurant. It took me a while before I decided to put my logic aside and realise that what my bar-tender, cleaning lady and a waitress were telling me was actually happening and that what was going on around me as well was not coincidence. From your description of the events, the "presences" there weren't threatening? In my case, I wouldn't say they were either but whatever was there, scared the life out of my people and, as a result, they quit, one after another. Renovations were a bit tricky as well, since whenever we changed something completely, the presence would get angry but when we just restored the place without mendling with its original "order" then the presence would keep quiet. Now, I'm trying to sell the business but with no luck so far.
Tammy 😊
Annie (202 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-10)
Darn! I can't get the audio/evps to work! Great story, Gbeach. Very well written. Keep us posted of anymore "events" at El Coyote!
Kwazimoto (5 stories) (18 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-09)
When I was younger I was camping with my family and we went swimming in the nearby river. I was diving to the bottom of the slow moving river and picking out interesting shaped river rocks when I heard someone call my name, as clear as a bell. It was so clear, and so obviously my name, that I surfaced then swam over to my mother and asked what she wanted. She hadn't called me. But someone had. I went back into the river and swam all afternoon, diving to the bottom of the river many times, but the voice never called out again.

A friend of mine was nodding off to sleep one night when she heard someone whisper her name in her ear, but she lives alone except for her dog. She said she turned on every light in her apartment that night, and never turned them off until daybreak.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-09)
thank you for the story. I also checked out the web site. I am not a full believer in 'ord' or 'vortesx' , but the EVPS are definitley something worth noting :)
from the types of EVPS captured, it doesn't appear as if whoever or whatever is shy.
lian01 (3 stories) (65 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-09)
Great story! I'm going to go and check out the website, EVP's are REALLY weird, I can't wait to listen to them!
gbeach (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-09)
Hi Shane!
I do agree with you about the dust particles. Coyote is old and dusty. I went back to the web site and listened again. You're right! I heard someone saying shut up too! I'll keep you posted if anything else occurs. I hope it does.
Lauren
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-08)
Just had to follow up on this one. I just finished checking out the site and the video and EVP evidence. Orbs, even though I do believe some of them are spirit energy, most I believe are dust or bugs. So not sure about some of those presented. Now the EVP's on the other hand, wow, I can clearly hear the whistles and in the one they have labeled scream, I hear a woman telling them to Shut up instead of a scream. Thanks Gbeach.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-08)
Gbeach that was a very informative and well written story. I enjoyed the fact that you went above and beyond to provide us with a link to the video and audio evidence. Which is pretty darn good. Thank you again and keep us informed of any new developments.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: